• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (4 Viewers)

Yes, I have a few stories to tell about that too. The one I remember most was when a Richard's pipit turned up on Sheppy on the nudist beach. Try explaining your way out of that one!

You´ve got to admire (sort of) anyone prepared to take their clothes off on Sheppey, of all places! I can think of nicer, warmer places (not that I would contemplate inflicting my body on anyone).
A Redstart here yesterday (around reception), plus 4 Ruff (three at Sa Roaca and one at Cibollar I), 5 Garganey (at Sa Roca but needed searching for) and a Great White Egret and Kingfisher at Cibollar I.

Martin

Last edited:
Hot and steamy at s´Albufera today - no doubt due to the Saharan winds and sand. Didn´t get out to the hides, and then only Sa Roca, until gone 6pm.

Not a vast amount at first sight, apart from all the eclipse ducks, but there was a nice flock of 51 Spotted Redshank in amongst the Audouin´s and Yellow-legged Gulls. Then a Ruff appearred, followed almost straight away by 2 Marsh Harriers.

Of course, all the duck took to the air, especially the Shoveller and it was then that I noticed another wader in flight, calling. It was a Golden Plover (possibly the first for the autumn, at least at s´Albufera). It landed and gave good views (I was the only one in the hide) until I had to leave and set the moth trap.

Given the Saharan winds and warmer than usual temperatures I´m hoping for good night mothing.

Martin

Given the Saharan winds and warmer than usual temperatures I´m hoping for good night mothing.

Martin

Unfortunately, nothing in the way of unexpected migrant moths from Africa, although it was probably the best night of the trip so far in terms of species and numbers - 492 specimens of 105 (identified) species, plus 7 yet to be identified.

Martin

Well, I had my final evening stroll around the hides earlier.

Unfortunately, not a vast change on recent days as there seems to be little in the way of new arrivals.

Still good numbers of Spotted Redshank, with 58 in two flocks - the larger in front of Sa Roca with a few in front of Cibollar I. As for other waders, the Golden Plover is still here (its third day), as is one Ruff (Sa Roca) and just one Dunlin (Cibollar I).

A brief drive down to Ses Puntes to pick up some larval foodplant, gave me a small group of 5 Lapwing - a sure sign that autumn is on its way. I also disturbed a snipe which, from its call and behaviour, including the briefest of glimpses, I would have said was a Jack Snipe. Anyone visiting the Ses Puntes platform should approach it more carefully than I did and look in the shallow wet area to the right - just in case it can hopefully be confirmed.

I may get time for a brief visit to at least one of the hides tomorrow, depending on how the packing goes!!

I hope anyone arriving in the next few days gets some good birds - and the same of course for the resident birders.

Best wishes

Martin

Last edited:
Yes it is. Good luck and do post what you see if you get there, should be some Black as well as Red kites, Booted eagle and possible Black vulture.

Hi Mike

Always enjoy my visits. No matter how long, they are always too short!

I also acheived two major objectives with the moths, both from up in the Serra de Tramuntana. The second known female of an endemic geometrid and a short series of something that I believe to be a new species of Tineidae that feeds on ferns. I even managed to get a pair 'in cop' so I hope to be able to work out the biology. The only think I failed to do was find the larva of the geometrid - perhaps next time!!

Hopefully this work will lead into some conservation-related issues. The environment (especially funding research on it in the Balearics) needs all the help it can get, as I'm sure that you know only too well.

Best wishes

Martin

Quick update after 5 days,
salbufera golden plover, female garganey, 2 ospreys, 52 spotted redshank, 3 wood sands, plus other usual waders, marbled duck zitting cisticola
Boquer valley mamoras warbler, 41 raven,
Son real 2 mamoras warblers, wryneck,turnstone on the beach,
Cuber 2 wryneck, 2 black vultures, booted eagle,
Ternelles 6 black vultures,15 xbills, good number red starts,pied fly,serins, wingchat,
Sg

Yes, great site and I'm pleased to see my name already there!

At the time I hadn't fully realised the status of Caspian Tern. I'm just glad that it retuned late in the afternoon otherwise I would have missed it (as I have done in the past with Great Snipe).

I'll be watching it with interest.

Martin

Hi guys,
Web site looks brill Steve, will keep my eye on that for sure.
I had a juv pallid harrier at sewage treatment plant yesterday evening photo's to follow, also at the salbufera Knot g.w.egret, 6 little stints. And 100 plus little grebe at tucan marsh and great white egret.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I had a juvenile harrier sp. over the south here yesterday so I look forward to seeing the photos. I only got distant views but it looked interesting. Mike

That Pallid Harrier sounds interesting! Also looking foward to seeing the photos :cool: The weather here is just right at the moment for all those rare migrants! Keep them coming!! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back