• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

S'Albufera was busy, with lots of families, joggers, cyclists etc. Never the less there were some good birds. A marbled duck and 8 plus stone curlews were at Sa Roca, an osprey at Es Cibbolar and waders around the reserve include 20 plus spotted redshanks and greenshank.

The best thing though, was a violet dropwing dragonfly near the bridge over the main canal.
It never ceases to amaze me that joggers are conveniently oblivious of the signs (three if I remember correctly) indicating that jogging in the Parc is not permitted (neither are cycling groups). I've come across both over the years, even going round the Parc in the dark!

Yes, the violet dropwing is a great thing to see and can often be found where you saw it. It's a relatively recent addition to the fauna of the Balearics and s'Albufera in particular.

Best wishes

Martin

It never ceases to amaze me that joggers are conveniently oblivious of the signs (three if I remember correctly) indicating that jogging in the Parc is not permitted (neither are cycling groups). I've come across both over the years, even going round the Parc in the dark!

Yes, the violet dropwing is a great thing to see and can often be found where you saw it. It's a relatively recent addition to the fauna of the Balearics and s'Albufera in particular.

Best wishes

Martin

Probably worse than the joggers and cyclists was the photographer (massive lens, no binoculars) in Es Cibbolar 1 who was playing a recording of kingfisher at deafening volume despite the fact that others were in the hide!

The spectacular thunder storm this morning ruled out my idea of a pre-breakfast walk down the Bocquer Valley! Instead, after breakfast I went to the Albufereta. There were three flamingoes in the air when I arrived, and after several circuits overhead they decided to land out of view! More luck with the great white egret which flew over and landed in view on the inland pools. There were three or four purple herons and two juv. night herons overhead, and a surprising 22 grey herons around the pools. A total of five stone curlews were on the small fields, I flushed a group of 17 red-legged partridges, and had an osprey over, carrying a large fish. Two kingfishers were flying around in the orchard just before the mound - quite bizarre!

My holidaymaker duties took me to the monastery at Lluc late morning. Fortunately I had my bins with me to see three black vultures over the mountains surrounding the buildings. A firecrest in trees while we enjoyed a coffee was nice too.

This afternoon in the Bocquer Valley produced 2 blue rock thrushes, 2 Ravens, 4+ Eleanora's Falcons and three booted Eagles (including two perched on the eastern slopes). However, despite putting in some time I couldn't connect with Balearic warbler. Wheatears and redstarts were in the orchard below the finca on the return walk.

This evening we bussed into Alcudia. Our wanders took us past a large and noisy house sparrow roost in trees outside the Sol Alcudia Centre - a nice way to round off the day.

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

stonechat salbufera,
short toed lark the plains.
steve.

Attachments

• IMG_5143 (800x574).jpg
    IMG_5143 (800x574).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5149 (800x574).jpg
    IMG_5149 (800x574).jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5169 (800x574).jpg
    IMG_5169 (800x574).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5188 (800x573).jpg
    IMG_5188 (800x573).jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 89
Probably worse than the joggers and cyclists was the photographer (massive lens, no binoculars) in Es Cibbolar 1 who was playing a recording of kingfisher at deafening volume despite the fact that others were in the hide!
I've only come across that once and asked the person concerned to stop, which he did. I suspect the only reason he did was that I was wearing an official badge. I'm a believer in 'each to his own' but not at the expense of other people's enjoyment.
Martin

Last edited:
The spectacular thunder storm this morning ruled out my idea of a pre-breakfast walk down the Bocquer Valley! Instead, after breakfast I went to the Albufereta. There were three flamingoes in the air when I arrived, and after several circuits overhead they decided to land out of view! More luck with the great white egret which flew over and landed in view on the inland pools. There were three or four purple herons and two juv. night herons overhead, and a surprising 22 grey herons around the pools. A total of five stone curlews were on the small fields, I flushed a group of 17 red-legged partridges, and had an osprey over, carrying a large fish. Two kingfishers were flying around in the orchard just before the mound - quite bizarre!

My holidaymaker duties took me to the monastery at Lluc late morning. Fortunately I had my bins with me to see three black vultures over the mountains surrounding the buildings. A firecrest in trees while we enjoyed a coffee was nice too.

This afternoon in the Bocquer Valley produced 2 blue rock thrushes, 2 Ravens, 4+ Eleanora's Falcons and three booted Eagles (including two perched on the eastern slopes). However, despite putting in some time I couldn't connect with Balearic warbler. Wheatears and redstarts were in the orchard below the finca on the return walk.

This evening we bussed into Alcudia. Our wanders took us past a large and noisy house sparrow roost in trees outside the Sol Alcudia Centre - a nice way to round off the day.

I hope the Flamingos hang around until tomorrow when we arriive in Puerta Polenca !
It's one of the birds I was really hoping to see on this holiday. Looking forward to a fortnight of some sun and plenty birding.

I was rushed back to surgery yesterday as the first operation failed and I got peritonitis. It seems like I will be here for a while longer and out of action until at least Christmas. Sorry for not replying to PM's, I am not allowed the internet here for more than a few minutes. Good birding to all you visitors! Mike

I was rushed back to surgery yesterday as the first operation failed and I got peritonitis. It seems like I will be here for a while longer and out of action until at least Christmas. Sorry for not replying to PM's, I am not allowed the internet here for more than a few minutes. Good birding to all you visitors! Mike
I'm really sorry to hear that, Mike. I hope it's all sorted successfully soon.
All the best
Martin

I hope the Flamingos hang around until tomorrow when we arriive in Puerta Polenca !
It's one of the birds I was really hoping to see on this holiday. Looking forward to a fortnight of some sun and plenty birding.
Hi Gus
If it's Flamingos you're after, and you have a car, then the salt pans at Salobrar de Campos in the south of the island ought to be the place. They can be quite numerous at times. There's a picture here (http://www.gobmallorca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2651) about three quaters down the page, to whet your appetite.
Have a great time.
Martin

Mike, how awful! I really hope things turn round for you soon and you get on the mend. I know many of us would like updates as and when you can send them. Get well soon!

Not so good Mike but you shall be In good hands.I hope everything goes well and you are soon on the fast track to a full recovery.Have just booked a fortnight In PP next year again,so hope to see you then,If not before,If you make a trip to your relatives In Scotland.

All The Best Mate

Have a great time Gus.
Plenty to keep you occupied at this time of year,over there.

Made a fairly early start for Mortitx this morning, hoping for raptors late morning. Unfortunately conditions were overcast and a little cool, and soon after midday a light but persistent rain began, so no raptors whatsoever - very disappointing.

Passerines were more rewarding though. I had a wryneck on the walk down past the winery, and at least three more were calling as I walked through the the valley. A fine male cirl bunting was in the open area just before the winery, together with a flock of about 15 serins. A pied flycatcher was on the fence there, presumably a migrant. There were frequent fly-over crossbills, and a group of 8-10 birds were feeding in the pine wood near the turn for the Refugi. It was interesting to hear them call. A mixture of soft chaffinch-like contact calls while they were feeding, with the odd "chip" thrown in, but the more familiar chipping calls when they were in flight.

Between the small reservoir and the pine wood I had several blue rock thrushes, including a nice singing male. Added to this were at least 8 firecrests, two hoopoes, several blue tits and 8+ crag martins. As usual, the walk itself was a delight, so overall it was far from a waste of time!

Stew

Sorry to hear that Mike.

You take care of yourself and we all look forward to having you back here in good health!

best regards

Merlin

Decided to have yet another attempt for Balearic Warbler in the Bocquer Valley this morning. I was encouraged by a birder who was leaving as I arrived who had a family group in the scrub in the usual place (he'd also had a wryneck in the clump of pines half way down the valley, which I heard as I walked past but couldn't find on my way back).

After spending some time I had a Balearic Warbler calling in the scrub to the left as you reach the slope to the shore, and eventually had several glimpses of the bird. I had another bird in flight a bit further inland, and as I walked back I had really nice views of a bird grotting around in some Rosemary scrub along a goat track.

A whinchat and a couple of redstarts suggested some migration, and as well as a pale-morph booted eagle on the eastern slope where I had two earlier in the week I saw a dark-morph bird at the finca end of the valley flying low over the pine wood. A couple of Eleanora's and a couple of Ravens were welcome additions. I also had two or three lesser emperor dragonflies along the valley.

This evening I had a gentle and rather unproductive stroll round La Gola, but did see 15+ Audouin's gulls on the "reefs" offshore, together with about 6 shags.

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

keep your chin up mike, it will get better, know i bit of how you are feeling, when i had my back opp. i had a bad infection for 6 weeks, couldn't do any physio until it cleared.
marbled duck,
water pipit,
sp. redshank,
greenshank all salbufera.
steve.

Attachments

• IMG_5194 (634x453).jpg
    IMG_5194 (634x453).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5207 (800x572).jpg
    IMG_5207 (800x572).jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5275 (800x572).jpg
    IMG_5275 (800x572).jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5291 (800x571).jpg
    IMG_5291 (800x571).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 61
2 Roller seen today in s'Albufera, in the s'Amarador area (in the bottom left of the Parc as you look at a map of the reserve).
Marton

Returned to Mortitx in hope of a better raptor day than Thursday! Thankfully the sunny conditions obliged, and in the hour between 10.30 and 11.30 I had 5 griffons, 3 black vultures (including 1 perched on a rocky outcrop), 2 Eleanora's, 2 booted eagles and best of all 2 Bonelli's Eagles (together, at the far end of the valley).

Passerines were pretty good, with several wrynecks (I estimate at least 5) calling along the valley, and cirl buntings all along the valley too (including a very obliging pair near the small reservoir). 3 swifts, 2 redstarts, crag martins, crossbills, serins etc. provided additional interest.

in a very long shot for short-toed lark and corn bunting I went to the area of Es Blanquer. No luck with the target birds, but I had a juv. woodchat in an orchard and 3 black vultures over the cereal fields. I saw two red kites in the distance, and as I returned towards Manocor I saw one of them dicing with a dark-morph booted eagle.

In a brief visit to Cami des Polls I saw very few birds, but had a nice selection of dragonflies - lesser emperors, a scarlet dragonfly, 2 black-tailed,skimmers and 3+ keeled skimmers.

Stew

Decided to follow up Martin's news of rollers at s'Amarador, an area of S'Albufera that I haven't visited before. The walk via Ses Puntes provided a handful of reed warblers and two great reed warblers, and a single moustached warbler. Near Ses Puntes I heard bee eater, but couldn't find it.

S'Amarador is a really nice area of open small fields, houses and orchards, but sadly for me, no rollers. I climbed the observation platform and was immediately enveloped in a cloud of small insects. I beat a hasty retreat and spent the next five minutes beating them off me and picking them out of my equipment! I did have 3+ yellow wagtails, a nice adult woodchat, a whinchat, lots of clouded yellow butterflies and a couple of swallowtails.

With a full day available I decided to walk the complete circuit of S'Albufera. The Cami des Polls was again poor for birds but excellent for dragonflies and damselflies. The channel along the reeds had lots of blue-tailed damsels in the open breaks and a single small red damsel there too. Dragonflies included lots of lesser emperors, a couple of emperors, several black-tailed skimmers, a single keeled skimmer, a scarlet dragonfly and in the wide pools at the end of the channel I counted seven violet dropwings (there could well have been more). On the floating vegetation there were 3+ small red-eyed damsels.

At the beginning of the track to the hides I had a migrant hawker dragonfly - a new insect for my Mallorca list. There was little else until I reached the hides. Es Cibollar had numbers of greenshanks and spotted redshanks. Hide 1 also had kingfisher and a whimbrel and 2 had a ruff. Another violet dropwing was near the bridge over the main canal.

At SA Roca two people in the hide pointed out two Caspian terns loafing and bathing at the northern end of the pools, fantastic birds which were still there when I left at around 3pm. Also there were a snipe and 5+ stone curlews.

On my way back to Puerto Pollensa I called at Tucan Marsh where among the wildfowl and waders I caught up with great crested grebe.

Back to the UK tomorrow after a really enjoyable week!

Stew

Really sorry to hear that Mike. All the very best for a quick recovery. Your help prior and during my trip in May/June (my first time birding abroad) was invaluable and so appreciated. It enabled me to really enjoy what the beautiful island has.

Best wishes Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back