• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

Cala San Vicent

Just home from two weeks at Cala San Vicent, with a fair amount of birding.
Audouin's Gull daily around the beaches.
Sardinian Warblers everywhere, also Serins.
Blue Rock Thrush and Balearic Warblers on the walk out to Puig d'Agila, also Eleanora's Falcons. Dots on the sea presumably Balearic Shearwaters.
Views of distant Black Vultures from the Siller Pass over to Puerto Pollenca.
Mediterranean Shag surfacing amongst the swimmers off Cala Molins - to their surprise. Probably feeding on the little flatfish they disturb.
Boquer Valley in a howling gale - not a good idea: no birds.
And a Bonelli's Eagle over - viewed from the comfort of a sunbed - the moral being always take your binoculars wherever you are!

May I please seek the help of this thread. I am spending a week based in Port Andraxt from 6 June and would like to do some birding along with some snoozing. I am not familiar with good sites - where would you advise a novice to begin? I would love to see more raptors esp the red footed falcons and eagles, but also terns and owls. Odd mixture I know!
Thanks

Hi Skippo, I am not so familiar with the area around Andratx so I do hope somebody else responds. For most raptors, the mountains are best but I am not sure if you have transport. There has been a large influx of Red-footed falcons in the last few days but many have now moved through. They may all be gone by the time you arrive but one or two may linger. Both Black and Griffon vultures are possible here and there are some good sites for these but again I don't know about Andratx. Owls are never easy to see here but a night walk will reveal calling Scop's owls and with a bit of luck you may see one. Barn owl not so difficult and sometimes Long-eared owl can be seen moving around at dusk. Areas of trees and scattered bushes seem best. Other raptors can be seen in fields and Peregrines can be seen along the coast. Marshes hold numbers of Osprey, Red kite are now more common so should not prove a problem. Let me know if I can help more and good luck. Mike

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

little bittern at salbufera.
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN9513 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN9513 (640x456).jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN9543 (640x464).jpg
    DSCN9543 (640x464).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN9546 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN9546 (640x457).jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN9593 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN9593 (640x457).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 35
Many thanks Mike. Shame about the falcons but perhaps I will be lucky. We will have a car so can get around a bit. We will certainly go up to Pollenca and should be able to take in s'Albufera - which I think is the main marsh birding area. I imagine that the vultures and eagles are best seen in the Tramuntana? Can you also tell me if there are likely to be guides or local experts in s'Albufera? A lot of my birding results in a list of ' could have been this, but might have been that!'
Thank you for your help,
Richard

Still large numbers of Red-footed falcons moving through. A few Knot have been at Salobrar de Campos for the last two days, a very hard bird to see here in Mallorca. Mike

Two days to go and getting a little bit excited. Thanks again for all advice given. One final question. Obviously have been reading any trip reports I can find and there appears to be a few referring to "arrived at 9:30 and managed to get the last parking space at S'albufera" Given that Mrs C is a late starter is parking really that bad there even mid week and is it a question of no parking space then leave and try another day?
Apologies if this is a really daft question but I have no idea of available parking, other options, visitor numbers and turnover, regulations etc

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike
Parking is limited at s'Albufera. There is only a smallish car park which is just off the main road, near the entrance. If you don't get a place there you can park opposite along some of the roads near the hotels (do check for parking regs), or in some of the side roads just before you cross the bridge over the main canal - as you leave the long strip development of Alcudia. I've never known anyone not get a space.
If disabled, or walking is difficult, one can drive down to reception and park in the old car park.
Check the scrub along the canal for birds - Moustached Warbler can be seen and Night Herons roost on the opposite side of the main canal. I've also had good views of Little Bittern crossing the canal.
Hope this helps.
Martin

Hi Mike
Parking is limited at s'Albufera. There is only a smallish car park which is just off the main road, near the entrance. If you don't get a place there you can park opposite along some of the roads near the hotels (do check for parking regs), or in some of the side roads just before you cross the bridge over the main canal - as you leave the long strip development of Alcudia. I've never known anyone not get a space.
If disabled, or walking is difficult, one can drive down to reception and park in the old car park.
Check the scrub along the canal for birds - Moustached Warbler can be seen and Night Herons roost on the opposite side of the main canal. I've also had good views of Little Bittern crossing the canal.
Hope this helps.
Martin
It does, many thanks for the response/advice/assurance

Mike

Hi Skippo, yes, vultures are best seen in the mountains, Mortitx is good also the approach road to the Sóller tunnel should give good views of many raptors, try the gardens at Alfabia as well, so it's possible to combine the two.
There are usually lots of people birding at s'Albufera and they will be very helpful in sharing advice on identification and places to go. Good luck and do let us know.
Steve. Thanks as always for the fantastic photos, they always add so much to this thread. Mike

thanks mike,
shellduck and a different l. bittern. at salbufera
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN9661 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN9661 (640x457).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9753 (640x460).jpg
    DSCN9753 (640x460).jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN9756 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN9756 (640x458).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN9787 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN9787 (640x458).jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Still large numbers of Red-footed falcons moving through. A few Knot have been at Salobrar de Campos for the last two days, a very hard bird to see here in Mallorca. Mike

Mike is the Central Plains Maria area still best for RF Falcons or are they turning up all over this year ?
Chance to be arriving on Monday and hopefully break my duck on seeing one at long last if there are a few still moving through.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob. Maria has been a disaster this year! For some reason, all the Red-footed falcons are turning up at Villafrance de Bonany which I think the locals call "Pla de L'Anzell" , much easier for me to get too but further for people in the north. It would be worth the trip though with up to 30 birds being seen together. I hope they stay for a few more days. Mike

Hi Bob. Maria has been a disaster this year! For some reason, all the Red-footed falcons are turning up at Villafrance de Bonany which I think the locals call "Pla de L'Anzell" , much easier for me to get too but further for people in the north. It would be worth the trip though with up to 30 birds being seen together. I hope they stay for a few more days. Mike

Hello Bob,
Here is where we call it Pla de Lanzell and where these days still are around 20 red footed falcons.
Thanks

Attachments

• lanzell.jpg
    lanzell.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 90

nightingale at salbufera.
steve.

Attachments

• DSCN9732 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN9732 (640x458).jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN9733 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN9733 (640x458).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN9735 (640x459).jpg
    DSCN9735 (640x459).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN9741 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN9741 (640x458).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 37

Interesting. The place where I had them on Saturday was just NW of Maria de la Salut (I assume that's what you mean by "Maria", Mike).

Mind you, I only had five of them, but still not what I'd call a disaster. 8-P

I got back a week ago & steadily going through the shots I captured.

Attachments

• 7D2_7122 b 900.jpg
    7D2_7122 b 900.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 7D2_7213 b 900.jpg
    7D2_7213 b 900.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 7D2_7327 b 900.jpg
    7D2_7327 b 900.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 7D2_7376 b 900.jpg
    7D2_7376 b 900.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 7D2_7930 b 900 b.jpg
    7D2_7930 b 900 b.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 70
Another set.

Attachments

• 7D2_7982 b 900.jpg
    7D2_7982 b 900.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 7D2_7839  b 900.jpg
    7D2_7839 b 900.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 7D2_8503 bb 900 b.jpg
    7D2_8503 bb 900 b.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 7D2_8946 b 900.jpg
    7D2_8946 b 900.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 7D2_8782 b 900.jpg
    7D2_8782 b 900.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back