• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

A few Honey buzzard trickling through, mostly dark birds. It's hard to say how many Red-footed falcons have been through the Island in the last week or so, certainly hundreds and maybe about one thousand in all, I have seen over twenty together, quite a sight as they were nearly all male. Mike

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

spotless starlings at albufereta.
steve.

Attachments

• DSCN9869 (640x459).jpg
    DSCN9869 (640x459).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN9883 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN9883 (640x457).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN9884 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN9884 (640x458).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN9944 (640x459).jpg
    DSCN9944 (640x459).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 56
A few Honey buzzard trickling through, mostly dark birds. It's hard to say how many Red-footed falcons have been through the Island in the last week or so, certainly hundreds and maybe about one thousand in all, I have seen over twenty together, quite a sight as they were nearly all male. Mike

Mike thanks for posting update, the RF Falcons must be late in moving through this year as I missed them all last year and was on the Island mid May.
If just one hangs about into next week I will be Well Chuffed.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, I will try to keep one here for you.
Thanks for the Starling photos Steve. I keep seeing starling from the motorway to the airport at the beginning near Llucmajor but I have not seen one close enough to establish its identity. If they are spotless then there must be a small population there as well as Can Curassa. Mike

Got back yesterday from another great week staying at Puerto Pollensa. Birding included a full day out at S'Albufera and Depuradora and a half day cycling around roads/tracks around Albufereta plus bits while sight-seeing etc.

Still sorting photos so will add some plus details over the next few days. Stayed at the excellent Hotel Pollentia and had no luck with Scops Owl but only went down the track along the back of the hotel a couple of nights.

Gi

A quick scoot round the Island this morning turned up only two Red-footed falcons, both male and in flight, the majority have left now. Good numbers of Tawny pipits, Booted eagle, lots of Red kite around. Most migration will be over now and the Island settles down for a long dry summer. I think there may be a surprise or two still lurking somewhere, the constant easterlies will have brought a few rarer birds to Mallorca. Mike

Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

no problem mike,
L.R.P. X 2, GARGANEY AND WATER PIPIT ALL SALBUFERA.
STEVE.

Attachments

• DSCN8614 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN8614 (640x458).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN8616 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN8616 (640x458).jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN8625 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN8625 (640x456).jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN8638 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN8638 (640x457).jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 46
Stayed in Puerto Pollensa from 23rd to 30th May.

Birding from the coach from the airport to Puerto Pollensa I saw three Red Kites along the MA13 motorway, one at Santa Maria del Cami, one near the turn-off to Benissalem and the third near the turn-off to Lluc.

Headed to Pollensa market on the 24th, saw a Honey Buzzard between Puerto Pollensa and Pollensa, in Pollensa up the 365 steps to the chapel Sardinian Warbler, Serin with a Firecrest in conifers at the top. In the market area a Hummingbird Hawk-moth which caused afew looks when I went to photograph it!

Attachments

• Hummingbird Hawk-moth.jpg
    Hummingbird Hawk-moth.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Went to Formentor beach on the 25th, taking the bus there and ferry back exploring the area walking along the road by the edge of the wood. Lots of Crossbills about plus Firecrest, Sardinian Warbler, Serin, Spotted Flycatcher, Blackcap while highlights included a singing Icterine Warbler in the gardens the other side of the road to the pines by the beach, singing Wryneck to the right of the road walking past the coach/parking area with a Golden Oriole flying through the tress the other side.

Back in Puerto Pollensa in the afternoon had a walk around La Gola – lots of Mallards and a Little Egret. Explored the grassy area at the back of the site with several Painted Lady butterflies on Scabious and alarm calls by birds alerted me to a close flyover Peregrine. Followed a path seeing Clouded Yellow and Speckled Wood and came out on the ring road. Scanning the hills behind saw a large raptor heading away. Noted wings bowed and thought that looks big when another raptor came up to mob it. Realised the second bird was a pale phase Booted Eagle and this was much smaller, and saw that the first bird was an eagle as it circled a couple of times to show it was coloured by two tones of brown and slightly paler head before drifting away. Wish I had my scope with me!

Last edited:
Went to S’Albufera briefly on the afternoon of the 26th so I could get a permit to go in early later in the week. On the walk up a Squacco Heron was in the trees at the heronry amongst the Cattle Egret. Got my permit as well as purchasing the ‘Birding Tourist’s Guide to Majorca 2nd Edition’ and the ‘Butterflies and Dragonflies Guide Nature Park S’Albufera De Mallorca’ books. Had a quick look from Sa Roca hide, several Black-winged Stilts, Kentish Plovers, Little Ringed Plovers, a Little Stint, a Stone-curlew and my first ever Marbled Duck. On the way back saw Clouded Yellow and a few Speckled Wood with the Squacco Heron still in the same area and to Audouin’s Gulls on the canal close by.

Did an Island Tour on the 27th seeing a Woodchat Shrike on the outskirts of Puerto Pollensa, a species that I had trouble seeing last year. Further along the journey saw a Black Vulture from the coach just before the ‘Knotted Tie’ section of road enroute to Sa Calobra. Stopping at the café by the ‘Knotted Tie’ saw the same or another Black Vulture as well as a Griffon Vulture.
At Sa Calobra a Raven overhead a couple of times and a Shag was in the harbour area showing well, as was one last year. On the ferry from Sa Calobra to Port de Soller saw 3 individual Scopoli’s Shearwaters, one of which flew close past the past giving super views and a total of 6 Balearic Shearwaters. Finally a Red Kite at the coach park at the train station at Son Reus.

Attachments

• Black-winged Stilt.jpg
    Black-winged Stilt.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 40
  • Marbled Duck.jpg
    Marbled Duck.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Clouded Yellow.jpg
    Clouded Yellow.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 50
  • Speckled Wood.jpg
    Speckled Wood.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 41
Hi there!

GiG, your mention of those butterflies on Mallorca reminded me of the ones I saw one evening when I was looking for the Nightjars at Punta de n'Amer. At first I thought they were Hummingbird Hawkmoths, then I realized they were kinda striped. I couldn't get a picture of them because they were moving incredibly fast, even faster than the Hummingbird Hawkmoths I had seen before.
There were hundreds of them, feeding on plants that looked a bit like honeysuckle.
Maybe they were Striped Hawkmoths (Hyles livornica)? Are they common on Mallorca?

Hi there!

GiG, your mention of those butterflies on Mallorca reminded me of the ones I saw one evening when I was looking for the Nightjars at Punta de n'Amer. At first I thought they were Hummingbird Hawkmoths, then I realized they were kinda striped. I couldn't get a picture of them because they were moving incredibly fast, even faster than the Hummingbird Hawkmoths I had seen before.
There were hundreds of them, feeding on plants that looked a bit like honeysuckle.
Maybe they were Striped Hawkmoths (Hyles livornica)? Are they common on Mallorca?

Hi Houdiny,

I'm afraid Striped Hawkmoth is a species I've not encountered before and this being only my second visit to the island I'm still learning what species are about. Hopefully Birdforum member Martin (honeym) who regularly posts on this thread will see your post and be able to help you with his knowledge of moths on Mallorca.

Hi there!

Hi Houdiny
Yes, Striped Hawkmoth is a common enough species on Mallorca and occurs on all the Balearic Islands. If it was the wings that were striped then they probably were Striped Hawkmoths (but Silver-striped also occurs). If, however, it was the abdomens that appeared to be striped, then I would suggest Convolvulus Hawkmoth. The body is more stationary when they are flying and tends to be noticed more.
Whichever species it was it must have been quite a spectacular sight and was almost certaily an influx from North Africa, i.e. migrant examples.
Best wishes
Martin

Would love to have seen the moths, a great sighting.
The Red-footed falcons were flying low over a field just before the "Pla de Lanzell" but did not hang around. Definitely on their way north! Mike

Thank you! I've looked at pictures of both species and I think it must have been Striped Hawkmoths. The other ones seem to be a bit too large and the stripes too obvious.
The Nightjars in that area certainly had plenty of food that night!

Full birding day was the 28th, got a taxi early morning to S’Albufera on the track up to the centre with the raised walkway to the right a Moustached Warbler was singing away and showing to the left. Visited Sa Roca hide first with similar species as my previous visit the other day with very close Little Ringed Plover and Kentish Plover although no sign of the Little Stint. A Yellow Wagtail collecting insects right below the hide and a couple of Marsh Harriers above the reeds.

Moving on to Cillobar 1 and 2 hearing Sardinian Warbler, Cetti’s Warbler and a showy male Serin near the canal bridge. From the two hides Shelduck, Common Tern, a couple of Purple Herons flying across in the distance and the odd Cattle Egret and Night Heron flying over the hides, often chased by the Black-winged Stilts. Saw a Woodchat Shrike in the distance along a fence line and Zitting Cisticolas doing their flight display.

Absolute highlight though was a cracking Squacco Heron from the bridge across to Cillobar 2 hide, brilliant watching feeding at close range and from the same viewpoint a showy singing Nightingale. Back up to the canal bridge to see Purple Gallinule and Crested Coot I chatted to a German birder/photographer who’d had a Red-footed Falcon on site earlier in the week. We watched more Cattle Egret and Night Heron fly over with distant Grey and Purple Herons.

I headed round the back past the mound to Sa Roca stopping at the new hide which had a Common Darter on the side. Near the solar panels a Great Reed Warbler sang away and with patience showed well to get some digiscoped photos. Further along the track I spotted an interesting beetle, which upon research is likely Geotrupes stercorarius.

Attachments

• Little Ringed Plover.jpg
    Little Ringed Plover.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Kentish Plover.jpg
    Kentish Plover.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Serin.jpg
    Serin.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Squacco Heron.jpg
    Squacco Heron.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Nightingale.jpg
    Nightingale.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back