• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

A very entertaining morning spent at the Cap with the locals, they really are good company and great fun to be with. One Honey buzzard, one Hobby, one Eleanora's falcon, four Red kite and a few Booted eagle. Later one Sparrowhawk. Mike

A Merlin was seen at s´Albufereta 0n 9 October so went to see if we could find it on the 10th. No such luck, in fact it was pretty quiet.
A couple of Common Sand on the big island in the lagoon, one Great White Egret on one of the pools at the back, 2 Osprey flying around together and 5 Wheatear in the ploughed field.
Last evening at Sa Roca there were 13 Lapwing. Barn Owl calling after dark.
Martin

Migration is a funny thing, yesterday at the Cap, hardly a thing, this morning a bonanza with over seventy Common kestrels, Marsh harrier, two Sparrowhawks, a possible Red-footed falcon and best of all, a Lesser-spotted eagle, a mega for Mallorca. Mike

Hi experts. I was near Port d'Andraixt on the 29 September, walking up the path towards the Coll des Vent. In some low bushes I watched a bird which i had not seen before. When I returned to my book to identify it I realised that it could have been either a sedge warbler or a moustached warbler (the second I had not even heard of). From the time and place and habit ie flitting around in bushes foraging can anyone more expert than me tell me which of these two it was? Or if it might be either? At least the following day I saw a definite audouins gull at Camp de Mar!
Many thanks. Not easy being a beginner in a foreign country!

Bluethroat

Blue throat showing well at salt pans along Eddies path near first gate also 2 red kites and booted eagle as well as the usual stuff. 2 Scops Owls seen and heard each night around the church in Arta

Hi Skippo, your bird was more likely to be a Moustached than Sedge warbler which are quite scarce in Mallorca, especially in autumn. Moustached are more common but elusive. Hope this helps. Mike

Hi Mike, many thanks. That's great: I'll record it as a probable moustached warbler. I am sure that it was one or the other and my book suggested that the sedges were less likely unless on migration

Just to update the spectacular migration at the Cap today, there was a total of 116 Kestrel, two Merlin, 14 Booted eagle and over 50 Eleanora's Falcons. Also a male Ring ouzel was seen. Quite a day. Mike

Hi Phil
Sorry about that, I get so used to it that I forget to give more details. Yes, it is the Cap de Ses Salines, the most southerly point and the best place for autumn migration. It has all died down a bit now but you never know. Yesterday was one of the best days ever. I hope you enjoy it and see some good birds. Mike

Hi Skippo. I would say sedge warbler. Moustached it's not a migrant in Mallorca and never has been seen far from a reedbed. SW it's not an uncommon migrant (easier to detect in spring, but not rare in autumn), and I've seen it quite a few times in bushes or even woods.

Sorry Skippo, I am sure Maties is right, I thought there was a small area of reed-beds at Port Andratx and that there may have been some resident Moustached warblers at the site but obviously not. I have never seen Moustached warblers away from reeds and have just re-read your post where you said the bird was in a bush. Sedge warbler it is then! Mike.

Hi again Skippo. I had to chuckle on reading your post about being a beginner. After forty years of birding I still make lots of mistakes! Bird identification is not easy and we are all learning the whole time. Enjoy your birding and I hope you make it back here one day. Mike

Forgot to mention yesterday at salt pans 100's of day flying Crimson speckled footman moths. Fantastic!
Hi
I´ve just returned from 2 nights moth trapping in the mountains at Binifaldó and I also had one Crimson Speckled Footman among the moths trapped-- during torrential rain, strong NE´ly winds and in thick cloud cover.
During the days I had a Woodchat Shrike calling, 6-8 Griffon Vulture, 4 Black Vulture, 4 Raven and several Grey Wagtails.
Martin

A quick trip round the hides didn´t produce much, mainly due to the higher water levels after the rain. However, had several great views of a Little Bittern as it moved back and forth along the main canal, a Wheatear and a Kingfisher from Es Cibollar I, but best of all - the Starling murmurations are now starting to be fantastic, especially with the Peregrine accompanyment.
I was also told that the Scops Owl is still being seen up the track from the reception to the three bridges. I´ll try to catch up with that tomorrow morning once the moths are sorted.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back