• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (14 Viewers)

Arrived in Puerto Pollenca at lunchtime and headed off to Can Cuarassa and the Albufereta. The fire-control sea planes were practicing - mildly diverting initially but after an hour and a half, during which time they pretty much cleared both sites of birds, it was wearing a bit thin! Nice to hear nightingales (hardly any in East Anglia this year), and corn buntings everywhere, along with a woodchat on the viewing tower at the Albufereta. Three adult Audouin’s gulls and a few shags on the Puerto Pollenca “reefs” rounded of a nice jaunt, but hopefully a more productive day in store tomorrow.

Stew

Three or four European Nightjars churring in Parc Mondrago, one of my favourite outings of the year.
A few Scops owls too.
Good luck Stew, I hope you see some good things.
There has been a mini invasion of Rose coloured Starlings into Spain. One has been seen on Cabrera just off southern Mallorca so I’m wondering if there is one lurking somewhere on the main Island. T’would be nice. Mike

There has been a mini invasion of Rose coloured Starlings into Spain. One has been seen on Cabrera just off southern Mallorca so I’m wondering if there is one lurking somewhere on the main Island. T’would be nice. Mike

Three weeks ago, one english birder was with us up the tower of Albercutx and he told us he had seen one Rose Starling in Can Cullerassa with 4 local lesser sterlings, I was sure he was right, i was several days waiting for it, but not luck. I still hope some one lurking here.

A more productive day today. After dropping Mrs B and the youngest in Alcudia for the market I made a brief call at Maristany. Water levels are quite high, so several pochard and little grebes and two great crested grebes were the best of it.

Son Bosc provided a total of six bee eaters (3 on wires near the electricity sub station). The water at the Depuradora is a funny colour, with very little in the way of birds there (but that maybe because there was a work party cutting verges). There were two more bee eaters at Ses Puntes, in trees around the sandy area.

I stopped at the viewing platform (Ses Eres) on my way down to S’Albufera visitor centre. Lots of great Reed warblers here, but star bird was a singing Savi’s warbler. Although not seen, it gave several lengthy reels from the bank of reeds just right of a line from the platform to the new hide at Sa Roca.

At Es Cibollar 1 a single flamingo was feeding very actively, and behind it a spoonbill was doing likewise. Glossy ibises (I think at least three birds) were making feeding flights out to the marsh. A marbled duck got up from the marsh and flew over the hide. Later three glossy ibises were having a wash and brush up at Sa Roca.

A good supporting cast of expected birds including purple gallinules, purple herons, night herons, Kentish plovers etc. Made for a most satisfactory day,

Stew

Attachments

• F938E59F-CEEB-4985-AA51-BF852B9660BF.jpg
    F938E59F-CEEB-4985-AA51-BF852B9660BF.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 50
  • B6F4B64D-E75F-497F-A1C0-CF1080C24515.jpg
    B6F4B64D-E75F-497F-A1C0-CF1080C24515.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 5459B8F8-1771-4757-80F9-CEBA0718D6FC.jpg
    5459B8F8-1771-4757-80F9-CEBA0718D6FC.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 46
In anticipation of forecast bad weather I set off fairly early for a walk down the Bocquer Valley. At least three stone curlews were in the stony fields down and to the right of the “patio” in front of the farmhouse. Two were having a right old altercation - the victorious bird driving the loser off over the houses. The Valley itself was pretty quiet on the way out. I spent quite a long time in the scrub above the slope at the end before connecting with a rather illusive singing Balearic warbler. By this time two or three Eleanora’s falcons had appeared over the ridge, and I could hear but not see a blue rock thrush.

On the walk back an adult peregrine was being harassed by a juvenile, and a couple of crag martins were flying around the rocks at the entrance to the Valley proper.

As the bad weather hadn’t materialised we headed for the beach at Cala St Vincenc after lunch, pausing on the way to watch a booted eagle over Gotmar.

The bad weather has now arrived in the shape of a spectacular thunderstorm over Puerto Pollenca!

Stew

Hello again,
It's unpleasant to say that but three people have been seen in Boquer Valley trying to steal wallets from the visitors. A couple (man and woman) and another man.
With the excuse of sharing your binoculars they get closer to you and try to introduce his hand in your pocket or bag.
I have seen them between the car park and the old house of Bóquer.
Local Police has been notified.

:(

Cristina.

Have any of the locals or visitors to Boquer heard anymore on this story ? If they have been caught by the Police or even If they are still In the area ?

Some close-up photographs were put on social media so I don’t suppose they hung around long. Some more robbers, very young women sadly, have been active in Pollensa recently and photos were also circulated.
The government has just had an emergency meeting to tackle the crime problem, mostly in Magaluf, so I can keep you posted.
The best advice is to be vigilant at all times. Cuber reservoir used to be a crime hot-spot with car windows smashed but two people I met had left handbags on show which is obviously not a good idea.
It’s all very sad, a small minority thankfully. Mallorca really is a very safe place to live, I have never felt vulnerable in ten years unlike my recent visits to London. A great city but a very high crime rate at the moment.
I hope no visiting birders have any further problems. Mike

Have any of the locals or visitors to Boquer heard anymore on this story ? If they have been caught by the Police or even If they are still In the area ?

Hello!
Last time I heard about it they were seen in Bocchoris Avenue, some weeks ago.
I have heard about it in others places. Also there's a group of them in Sóller and Port de Sóller, where already are police suveillance in the sites where they have been seen.

As Mike says is to be vigilant at all times but without being overly alarmed.

Regards.
Cristina.

Thank you both. :t:
It Is good to know what's happening,as I would Imagine a good few UK birders shall be heading to the Island over the next few weeks and months and any advice Is welcome.

Woke to a tremendous thunderstorm, so when it stopped I decided to stay nearby. A walk down the track at Ca’n Cuarassa was well worthwhile - a total of around 6 spotless starlings on buildings and wires on the way down, and at the end of the straight were three Eleanora’s falcons on wires preening and drying out (never had prolonged perched views before). Two stone curlews got up, calling, from under the wires. Further along, two adult thekla larks were paying close attention to a young bird on the track. A booted eagle was gaining height over the fields, and behind distantly over the Tramuntanas two black vultures were soaring.

Encouraged, I decided to spend the afternoon at Son Real - where I had to dodge some heavy showers. It was great to see and hear so many turtle doves - I reckon at least six, but probably as many as ten. Four more thekla larks and a tawny pipit we’re near the beach, and at least four woodchats were along the track back to the centre. Surprisingly I didn’t get any crossbills on this visit.

I called at the Cami de Sa Font end of the Cami des Polls and managed to connect (eventually) with two common waxbills. Also here were a mating pair of small red damselflies and a Norfolk hawker.

Stew

Attachments

• 344CFAEF-9245-48A7-9D5F-381E9CBF3C3C.jpg
    344CFAEF-9245-48A7-9D5F-381E9CBF3C3C.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 76
  • C0846631-2192-4B37-870B-D5C80E7E9E4B.jpg
    C0846631-2192-4B37-870B-D5C80E7E9E4B.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DE34CF65-3F13-4EDE-A28A-8B21A50A85BC.jpg
    DE34CF65-3F13-4EDE-A28A-8B21A50A85BC.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 82
Early this morning at S'Albufera: The Spoonbill was still at Cibollar 1 before moving to a pond closer to the power station, I guess it was getting too much grief from the Avocets. A Great Egret was feeding there too, competing with a handful of Little Egrets. The rookery on the main canal was very active with at least 6 adult Glossy Ibises feeding chicks or building nests, and a pair of Squacco Herons building nest, plus the usual dozens of Egrets (Little and Cattle) and Night Herons.
Sa Roca was quiet with nothing of note I could see.
Son Bosc had 6 Bee-eaters feeding from wires and 3 or 4 Eleonoras overhead. The Depuradora smelled too badly to stay very long, the three islands had nesting BW Stilts and Common Terns.

Attachments

• _1DA0897.jpg
    _1DA0897.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 41
  • _D_A6371.jpg
    _D_A6371.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 78
  • _1DA1366.jpg
    _1DA1366.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 54
  • _1DA1283.jpg
    _1DA1283.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 54
After dropping Mrs B & the youngest at Portocristo for a day on the beach, I headed a bit further down the coast for a days birdingwith Mike M at Porto Colom.

My target was Dartford warbler - bit of a Mallorca bogey bird for me. We heard a brief snatch of song quite quickly and Mike had a brief view of the bird, but it took some time before we heard the familiar song of Dartford warbler coming continuously from an area of dense scrub. We must have listened to the bird for at least five minutes before it decided to move and give a few seconds of “good views”!

Also in the area were thekla larks and tawny pipits, and eventually a single Balearic warbler. We heard some amazing squealing coming from a small group of bushes, and after a few seconds two weasels dashed out and ran across the stony area and back into the scrub - really unexpected, and a bit stunning!

We spent a long time admiring the pallid swifts - especially around the cave entrances. It was great getting to grips,with their diagnostic features in good light (and hearing their subtly different calls). A bit of drama here when we were approached by a tearfulGerman girl who believed her boyfriend had disappeared over the cliff! Fortunately, after we had enlisted the help of three nearby German tourists the boyfriend was spotted climbing up the rock face (in flip-flops no less!).

We spent an hour or so late afternoon getting views of modest numbers of Scopoli’s shearwaters offshore, and also managed to see a couple of Balearic shearwaters too. A nice day in great company - thanks Mike.

Stew

It was a really great day Stew, thanks for your company. Some good birds and a bit of drama too.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, see you next time. Mike

Spent a long morning at Mortitx. There were blackcaps, blue tits and wrynecks on the walk down to the vineyard. An Eleanora’s falcon came low overhead, then there were three more up with the swifts. The first black vulture appeared at 8.55 gliding across the valley, but only two more showed before I left the valley.

Two Bonelli’s eagles were over the bluffs at the further end of the valley, and showed on and off for a couple of hours.

Cirl buntings, firecrests, bluetits, Raven, crag martins and kestrel provided interest during the walk. Mortitx seldom disappoints!

Stew

Attachments

• 4F90BB5D-D21D-465B-950D-AE459684B4C7.jpeg
    4F90BB5D-D21D-465B-950D-AE459684B4C7.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 798E671A-6A51-48C2-AC33-926913838DAA.jpeg
    798E671A-6A51-48C2-AC33-926913838DAA.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 47E6D19E-9AB5-4D80-A832-DA7E7F05507B.jpg
    47E6D19E-9AB5-4D80-A832-DA7E7F05507B.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 60
  • BD62668A-746F-4C14-B1CD-10E735191779.jpg
    BD62668A-746F-4C14-B1CD-10E735191779.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 84
Spent a rather overcast morning at S’Albufera. The spoonbill was still at Es Cibollar I, before it flew to Es Cibollar II and then off in the direction of Es Columbars. Flamingos at Es Cibollar I had increased to three.

A pair of crested coots were feeding three young near the Mound. A visit to the viewing platform on the Ses Puntes track provided more reeling from the Savi’s warbler, which remained stubbornly unseen! Two moustached warblers were in reeds along the channel on the northern side of the track, and glossy ibises were coming and going from the egret colony.

I stopped at the Albufereta on my way back to Puerto Pollenca. A couple of Eleanora’s falcons were over the pools, and a quail was singing in the cereal field near the second platform.

Stew

Attachments

• 48D0811C-D836-4ABB-9C3C-C212237AF120.jpg
    48D0811C-D836-4ABB-9C3C-C212237AF120.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DFBEF0CF-88CA-4265-A6C7-694A64F04AAC.jpg
    DFBEF0CF-88CA-4265-A6C7-694A64F04AAC.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 9B731BDC-034B-4A7E-84C0-24221B6B15E2.jpg
    9B731BDC-034B-4A7E-84C0-24221B6B15E2.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 27
  • A8F105B8-DF43-479E-8514-F8880340D113.jpg
    A8F105B8-DF43-479E-8514-F8880340D113.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 61
The first of my moths at Ses Salines Martin, I think I have seen one of these before. Mike

Hi Mike
What was the date of this?
It's a 'wave' but it's a bit tricky from the photo. Do you have one at higher resolution that you could send as I need to crop it and with this it starts to pixellate.
My gut feeling is Idaea alyssumata but it would be the first record for Mallorca (it's known from Ibiza and Menorca).
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back