• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (22 Viewers)

Hi Geordie Dave. A visit to the south is a good idea. Migration has mostly finished at the Cap de Ses Salines in the far south so not much point in going there.
Salobrar de Campos is probably the best place to go. Expect about 200 Greater Flamingoes, possibly some Common Crane and good numbers of waders.
Most of these species could probably be seen in the north but they are more reliably seen in the south.
Let me know when you are going. I would be happy to meet up if you would like.
All records go onto this thread so you will be kept up to date.
All the best. I hope the weather improves. Mike

One Yellow-browed Warbler today at Porto Colom, at the western end of S'Algar close to Carrer de Far. It was silent and rather elusive, but a fairly typical-looking bright individual, so different to what Mike and Maties have seen close by. Unfortunately no sign of the possible Hume's in the pines around the front of the houses.

Good to see you briefly today Mike!

Majorca Sept 2018

Thanks Guys for the Dragonfly and Spider names.
mixed flock at tucan on the 8th sept of herons, egrets and gulls, must have been an hatch of something but not sure what.
Woodchat depuadora.
Whinchat depuadora.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_5148 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_5148 (1024x734).jpg
    587 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5172 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_5172 (1024x734).jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5499 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_5499 (1024x731).jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5847 (1024x739).jpg
    IMG_5847 (1024x739).jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 34
Kevin. Glad you are coming back. I hope we can meet up. I don’t know anybody who has been to Bassa de can guidet recently so I have no news on the White-headed duck.
Jason. Yes, great seeing you again, albeit briefly. I will be at Porto Colom as much as I can. I think there are still some good birds along the east coast, an area that just doesn’t get the coverage of the north. Good luck with your birding too.
Mike

I have been watching a satéllite image of these very strong winds coming from the atlantic, howling through the straits of Gibraltar and smacking straight into Mallorca.
I wonder if a sea-watch might be worthwhile although I’m not sure what species might be blown this way. I will go and have a look! Mike

One Yellow-browed Warbler today at Porto Colom, at the western end of S'Algar close to Carrer de Far. It was silent and rather elusive, but a fairly typical-looking bright individual, so different to what Mike and Maties have seen close by. Unfortunately no sign of the possible Hume's in the pines around the front of the houses.
Good to see you briefly today Mike!

Hi Jason
Good to see you are back on Mallorca. Will you be mothing at all?
Martin

Wonderful La Gola

Hello!
today, a lot of water in the park and strong winds which have brought this fantastic flock of Cattle Egrets.
Lots of Chiffchaff (I've been trying to have a look to all of them just in case) and yesterday still one Balearic Flycatcher and one Common Redstart.

In November the Bird Centre will be open: Monday to Friday from 8am to 1pm, and Saturdays from 8am to 2pm. The park is always open.

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 100_2560_1.jpg
    100_2560_1.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 45
Hi Martin,

Unfortunately not this time, though perhaps later in the winter. Only moths I have seen of note were lots of Utetheisa pulchella, Crimson Speckleds at Punta de n'Amer.

Hi Jason
Good to see you are back on Mallorca. Will you be mothing at all?
Martin

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately not this time, though perhaps later in the winter. Only moths I have seen of note were lots of Utetheisa pulchella, Crimson Speckleds at Punta de n'Amer.

Ah well, enjoy the birds.

I'd heard there have been plenty of U. pulchella recently.

Best wishes

Martin

A very pleasant sea watch late afternoon from my local lighthouse.
Very good numbers of Scopoli’s shearwaters and just a few Balearic shearwaters. I have grown so fond of these threatened and very elegant small shearwaters that I just can’t wait to get to the coast to watch them flapping their way madly past my patch. They never fail to bring a smile to my face, they are just brilliant.
Also, three Gannet and one Lesser black-backed gull, quite rare for my area.
A Rustic bunting on Menorca shows that there are still some exceptional birds around. I bet there are a few more too, so frustrating that there are not more people out there searching for them.
Mike

Last edited:
Majorca Sept 2018

Kestrel at Depuadora.
Woodchat also Depuadora.
Red Kite and Honey Buzzard at the road to Cap de Ses salines.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_5867 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_5867 (1024x731).jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5998 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_5998 (1024x734).jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6637 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_6637 (1024x731).jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6652 (1024x736).jpg
    IMG_6652 (1024x736).jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 60
A very pleasant sea watch late afternoon from my local lighthouse.
Very good numbers of Scopoli’s shearwaters and just a few Balearic shearwaters. I have grown so fond of these threatened and very elegant small shearwaters that I just can’t wait to get to the coast to watch them flapping their way madly past my patch. They never fail to bring a smile to my face, they are just brilliant.
Also, three Gannet and one Lesser black-backed gull, quite rare for my area.
A Rustic bunting on Menorca shows that there are still some exceptional birds around. I bet there are a few more too, so frustrating that there are not more people out there searching for them.
Mike
Great birds! The shearwaters and particularly the gannet have been top of my want-to-see list for years.
Where is your local lighthouse, Mike?
Jeff

Last edited:
Hi JeffMoh. My local lighthouse is a short walk from where I live in Porto Petro. It’s normally very good but it depends on how close the shearwaters are. Some days they are very near to the coast which is great, other days they are far away which is not so good.
Gannets are now regular.
There are many sites every bit as good as Porto Petro so it depends where you are coming from. On the east coast there are many places like Punta de n’amer and Porto Colom and in the south there is the Cap de Ses Salines so you can chose whichever one is nearer.
If you are willing to travel you could always come to Porto Petro and if you are on holiday and don’t have a telescope you could always borrow mine.
Let me know. Mike

Majorca Sept 2018

Think these are Mullet but not sure what they are up to. Salbufera.
Coupl of shots of a Swallow Tail at Albufereta
False Smooth Snake ? Son Real.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_6494 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_6494 (1024x768).jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6773 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_6773 (1024x733).jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6899 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_6899 (1024x734).jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7630 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_7630 (1024x732).jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 48
Think these are Mullet but not sure what they are up to. Salbufera.
Coupl of shots of a Swallow Tail at Albufereta
False Smooth Snake ? Son Real.
Steve.

Hi Steve - I think I'm right in saying that the Mullet are literally 'gasping for air'.

As for the snake, I'm no expert but I have a copy of a paper that suggests that the False Smooth snake is confined to Formentera and Cabrera. Perhaps it is the Southern Smooth snake, which does occur more widely.

Martin

Steve, I have a picture of a snake very similar to yours. I made it from the hide of Son Real in 23rd september, could even be the same one? When I've seen your picture, I thought that I was looking at mine!

I dont know how you call this snake in english, the latin name is Macroprotodon cucullatus (if I'm not wrong).

Best wishes,
Maties

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
Hi Maties ,My photo was also taken from the hide at Son Real but on the 21st sept. guess its the same one though.
Pied Fly Son Real with prey item not sure what it is though, had an Hoopoe at the same place with the same prey last year.
Hummingbird hawk moth Boquer Valley, had around 12 individuals in a 3 hour visit on the 22nd sept.
Little Egret albufera with a passenger on board.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_7526 (1024x739).jpg
    IMG_7526 (1024x739).jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7722.jpg
    IMG_7722.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7867.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8043 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_8043 (1024x732).jpg
    462 KB · Views: 53
Steve, I have a picture of a snake very similar to yours. I made it from the hide of Son Real in 23rd september, could even be the same one? When I've seen your picture, I thought that I was looking at mine!
I dont know how you call this snake in english, the latin name is Macroprotodon cucullatus (if I'm not wrong).
Best wishes,
Maties

Hi Maties
In English it's the False Smooth snake, so I went back to the paper I mentioned and I think I misread it. I now think it is present in Mallorca (where it is an introduced species) but they were looking at future projections for the range expansion into the localities I mentioned.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back