• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

By the way, has anyone seen Crossbills recently?
I have looked for them at La Gola and at Son Real without any luck. Do they move elsewhere after the breeding season?
Thanks
Josh

Hi Josh. I haven’t seen any recently but I often hear them skipping overhead, chipping as they go. They are quieter at the moment though. They are early breeders I believe.
Ben Nevis gave a good place for Balearic warblers which is probably just as good as Son Real so I hope you manage to see them.
Mike

Hi Josh. I haven’t seen any recently but I often hear them skipping overhead, chipping as they go. They are quieter at the moment though. They are early breeders I believe.
Ben Nevis gave a good place for Balearic warblers which is probably just as good as Son Real so I hope you manage to see them.
Mike

Thanks Mike
I’ll head to Boquer tomorrow then if that is just as good.
Josh

Two Balearic Warblers seen at Boquer valley this morning. Skulking in low scrub after the two big rocks.
Josh

Did you report them on observado by any chance? Waiting on the airport atm, flying in two hours. Since its a holiday with girlfriend, I don't have vast amounts of time to go and search, an GPS could go a long way.

Migrating birds are arriving. Today Slender billed Gull, Temmincks stint and many other migrating waders (greenshank, curlew sandpiper, spotted redshank, green sandpiper...) at s'Albufera. First kingfisher seen a few days ago in Palma bay.

I dont enter quite often to birdforum, but now I've seen your warblers pictures and I agree with your identifications, all of them are sardinian warblers to me, except the moltonis seen in Cúber.

Best wishes

Did you report them on observado by any chance? Waiting on the airport atm, flying in two hours. Since its a holiday with girlfriend, I don't have vast amounts of time to go and search, an GPS could go a long way.
(39.9248210,3.0902582) Google maps coordinates for Balearic Warblers. Not the one mentioned below but the best location I know that works repeatedly

Thanks Maties, very welcome news. They are on their way! I will be going to the Cap as often as possible to see what species are passing through.
Normally, Black kites are the first raptors passing overhead and other species follow quickly on.
I usually find an immature Roller or two hanging around the Cap.
Turtle dove numbers can be high as can Hoopoes.
It’s all exciting stuff, not knowing what will be showing next. For me, it’s one of the best time of the year.
Mike

Just back from S’albufera today.
Amongst others, there were 2 little stints, 4 bee-eaters, 1 green sandpiper and a few shoveler.
Josh

Visitor in Palma

Hi,

I've been on this forum a few times and finally registered today, I'm not a serious bird watcher, but I do have an interest in our feathered friends!

Anyway, I had this visitor to my balcony in Palma this morning. I'm guessing it's an escaped pet (canary?) from the area, but if anyone can ID it, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the quality of the photo, but I was zooming in from a distance on my phone as I didn't want to scare it off.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.
Yes, it looks like an escaped domestic Canary but I’m no expert. It may have moulted it’s tail to further confuse the issue.
There is some good birding to be had in Palma, the torrent is good for gulls and wagtails and the outlet where it meets the sea can be very good.
Many records of rare gulls come from the docks so it’s worth checking this area whenever you can.
Robins were reported breeding in one of Palma’s parks.
Mike

Last edited:
Marina reported a Common Buzzard from Mortitx today which made me wonder about its origin.
A couple of pairs of Buzzard were confirmed breeding in Mallorca last year but I’m not sure exactly where they were on the Island.
Last year I saw two examples a few times around the Cap de Ses Salines in August so they may have bred in that area. I think it’s too early for migrants which begin to come through in a couple of weeks so I can only assume this bird spent the summer here or was one of a breeding pair. If anyone knows, I would like to know too!
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I thought Jordi had confirmed back in around April/May that there was a nesting pair in Esporles. And a pair was sighted some weeks earlier around Bunyola. I don’t know of any other sightings until now other than on migration.

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.
Yes, it looks like an escaped domestic Canary but I’m no expert. It may have moulted it’s tail to further confuse the issue.
There is some good birding to be had in Palma, the torrent is good for gulls and wagtails and the outlet where it meets the sea can be very good.
Many records of rare gulls come from the docks so it’s worth checking this area whenever you can.
Robins were reported breeding in one of Palma’s parks.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the warm welcome and information. You’re right about the parks, I haven’t seen many robins yet, but there’s a park in Palma that consistently has Hoopoes lurking in it.

Thanks Patrick. I didn’t realise that breeding had been confirmed so thanks for the information. I get so many messages in Spanish and my translation skills are still limited so I must admit, I sometimes give up half way through reading them.
Good to know a few pairs are here, Mike

Another evening sea watch. Scopoli’s have really thinned out with only 167 seen in an hour, a bit later in the day than usual though.
I watched a school of silvery fish skipping over the surface of the water. Shearwaters came out of nowhere, began circling before lunging in for the kill. Then the Dolphins came to join the party and I enjoyed a spectacle of a feeding frenzy with Shearwaters scooping up fish and Dolphins leaping up through the school, scattering fish everywhere and causing complete panic.
I thought all this action might attract other species but no, there is very little else out there at the moment.
Mike

Another moth seen today Martin. My friend still only has his iPad so poor quality again I’m afraid.
Mike

No matter, it's easily recognized - and one of my favourite noctuid moths in Mallorca (in fact all the Balearic Islands). It's Metachrostis velox now in the Erebidae.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back