• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (12 Viewers)

Hello,
today seems there are less birds than yesterday but we still have the Woodchat Shrike.
Seen again just now.

Take care Mike Montier!

Attachments

• 100_2939.JPG
    100_2939.JPG
    498.1 KB · Views: 84
Albufereta

Pleasant hour at the Albufereta this afternoon gave us Great White Egret in breeding plumage, singles of Common and Green Sandpipers, Greenshank x 3, Little Ringed Plover, Stone Curlew on small island and Spoonbill (from small platform) as well as the usual suspects.
Phil T

Albuferata yesterday,
Spoobill, Woodchat Shrike, Greenshank 5.
Salbufera today,
Little Bitterns 3, best count for me in one day, Whiskered Tern, Wryneck, Water Pipits 3, Great White Egret, Avocet with 4 young, Ringed Plover, Glossy Ibis 3, Stone curlews 4.
Steve.

The salt pans at Salobrar were quite quiet this morning.
Over 100 Avocets, a few Dunlin, Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, two Ruff, some Flamingoes, lots of Marsh Harrier, House martins, Swallows and Common Swift overhead.
I saw a group of five or six Kestrels hunting over Sa Barrala and as some Lesser Kestrels were report from the same area recently, I did wonder if they may have been Lesser. However, I didn’t have time to drive over the other side to look so if anyone is in the area, it may be worth exploring further.
Mike

Last edited:
Coffee-talks at the Bird Centre La Gola

Hello again,

This Saturday 13th we do the first coffee-talk of this Spring. As it's usual this first one is about migration through Mallorca by Pep Manchado, ornitologist and member of GORA (Raptor Study Group of Albercutx).

Attachments

• Xerrada migració abril2019ANGL.jpg
    Xerrada migració abril2019ANGL.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 25
Counting down days until we arrive next Monday 15th for our annual pilgrimage to Llenaire area nr Pollensa - as ever this thread is a great source of info and feeling connected to the local scene. Hope to meet a few of you around North of the Island as that also adds another dimension.
Incidentally, Ive just returned from working in Seville and Bee Eaters & Black Kites were already much in evidence on a brief visit to Donana.

3 Short-toed Larks on my local patch this morning. I see Bob Freeman has posted some superb photos of hirundines at Maristany, Hi Bob, it's a pity we didn't meet up this time. But here are a few of mine from last week. The Barn Swallow looks like an eastern sub-species, can anyone comment? Unfortunately no Red-rumped.

Attachments

• Barn Swallow_8944.jpg
    Barn Swallow_8944.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Crag Martin_8847.jpg
    Crag Martin_8847.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Crag Martin_8855.jpg
    Crag Martin_8855.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Crag Martin_8902.jpg
    Crag Martin_8902.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 38
Mortitx this morning,
After hail and rain storm, Bonellis Eagle, Griffon Vultures, Blue Rock Thrushs Redstarts.
Tucan late afternoon,
Ferruginous duck, Female.
Huge mumbers of Swifts over Alcudia yesterday.
Steve.

Today's sightings - dodging the rain included:
Albufereta (Tower hide area): spoonbill (2), greater flamingo, greenshank, common sandpiper, woodchat shrike, willow warbler, water rail
Around our villa near Pollenca: song thrush, pied flycatcher, 2 Scops owls
Maristany: sand martin amongst the many hirundines

BOOM, Baillons Crake found by Maties in front of the hide to the right of Sa roca, Managed to get some great photos. Also 5 Whiskered Terns, 2 Male Little Bitterns, Spotted Crake.
Steve.

Yes, Mike, he's one top birder just glad I went back to the hide to have another look for the spotted Crake, as I was leaving I noticed a few locals turning up so the information got out quickly.
Steve.

Yes, how times change. The first twitch I went to here comprised three people I believe.
At last year’s Red-flanked bluetail I was with about ten people and a further ten came and went. News travels fast now.
The last time I went to a rare bird sighting in the UK there were over a thousand birders there. A very different experience.
Very pleased you saw the Baillons, what a mega.
I hope others get to see it too.
Congratulations to Maties,
Mike

Well my first day here has been a quiet one, spent at the hotel pool and a late walk around the town. Only 10 species to start off, singing Serin and Greenfinch were nice this evening, and a few Sand Martin around the town.

Nige

More storm dodging, but another successful day today (though Baillon's would have been good - well done to Maties for finding it ...
- Maristany: ferruginous duck (female), crag martin, red-rumped swallow (2)
- C'an curassa: hobby (chasing swifts)
- Son Bosc: tufted duck (pair), green sandpiper (2), nightingale, white wagtail, tawny pipit, hoopoe (3), pallid swift (2), night heron
- Villa near Pollenca: nightingale, woodchat, peregrine, blue rock thrush

Oh I forgot I'm pretty sure I had a male Hen Harrier over the hotel. Didn't have bins or camera at the time but bird was smaller than Buzzard, larger than Sparrowhawk, very white underneath with black wing tips and black line running from wing tip to the body. Long protruding tail.

Can't think what else it may have been.

Nige

Hi Nige. The black line running from wing tip to the body bothers me. I’m not quite sure what you mean. Anything like this photo?
If not, take a look at Montagu’s Harrier and see if that fits.
Mike

Attachments

• 349D0610-BB4B-4754-92A0-C3F07AC0790D.jpg
    349D0610-BB4B-4754-92A0-C3F07AC0790D.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back