• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

The article is in Mallorcan but as far as I can make out, 8 examples are being released, today I believe, but I do struggle to understand the language.
It states that there is abundant vegetation and space for them so it will be interesting to know more.
Shame they weren’t released yesterday when Kevin and David were there, they would have had a bit of a shock!
Mike

It seems my translation skills are not so bad after all. Eight White-headed ducks were released at Albufera today, kindly confirmed by Pep.
Good luck to them I say.
Lots of Meadow pipits being reported, also Robins, Black Redstarts and Common starlings arriving.
Mike

I spent the morning at Cuber with Kevin before calling in at Mortix on the way back. We were hoping to find the ring ouzels but a combination of the large numbers on mushroom pickers foraging in the wood and dog walkers on the shore line seemed to drive the birds away and we saw very little. 5 black and 4 griffon vultures with a few ravens were about the best of the day although nice to see common and black redstart, wheatear, a few firecrests and a single kingfisher. At the vineyards at Mortix a group of up to 20 serin were among the vines with blackcap and more redstarts. In all only about 20 species in the day but nice to be out in the mountains on a sunny but at times cool day

My garden is full of Chiff-chaffs today so a big fall overnight. It will be interesting to see what else has arrived so I will post later.
Mike

Went for a walk at first light this morning and had the whole of the Boquer Valley to myself for more than 2 hours before the locals began to arrive for their weekend walks. Pair of blue rock thrush at the 2 large rocks at the entrance where you can usually find them. Lots of black redstarts, a few common redstarts, wryneck, an exhausted looking song thrush that had maybe just arrived?. A booted eagle, at least 2 eleanoras falcons. Then found a bird that may have been a female blue rock thrush but the back was of varying colours and very heavily marked, a rock thrush!! ??. Continued on towards the sea and saw several serin and Sardinian warbler. Finally in the low scrub at the top of the bank before heading down to the beach I watched 1, or possibly 2, Balearic warblers for nearly an hour. Never more than 30-40 feet away but continually on the move and diving in to the undergrowth. Not a bad start to the day. I met Kevin at Albufera at noon, lots of local families about, high water levels and very few birds. Having consulted at reception we were given directions to where the white headed ducks might be and found 4 of them in the new pond at the north west corner of the reserve off the Sa Pobla road. We watched them
For up to an hour from the new platform diving and feeding. Another good day in glorious sunshine

I am so pleased to be back on the Island. This forum has really kept me focused.
A few hours at S’ Albuferata (South side) this afternoon in the sunshine was awesome.
Birds seen included Osprey fishing; Stonking views of Male Marsh harrier;30 Stone Curlews; Purple Heron; Great, Little and Cattle Egrets; Stonechats; Cetti and Fantailed Warblers;;Chiffchaffs; Kentish Plovers and Greenshanks; and so many Robins.
The invasive “Blue Crabs” are still here.
Its great to be back!

Attachments

• AFAA4ECB-73E0-4428-86E8-F53604F80901.jpeg
    AFAA4ECB-73E0-4428-86E8-F53604F80901.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 27
  • A90EF57B-82AA-4767-A7F3-7BE7A96EDE65.jpeg
    A90EF57B-82AA-4767-A7F3-7BE7A96EDE65.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 49ABAEEA-D35D-4DFA-B8DC-32291408B346.jpeg
    49ABAEEA-D35D-4DFA-B8DC-32291408B346.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 28E4AFAC-A1E1-41B0-BA43-0977B624CDC8.jpeg
    28E4AFAC-A1E1-41B0-BA43-0977B624CDC8.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2A107EBD-E349-4A2C-B248-DF01B3FB87E9.jpeg
    2A107EBD-E349-4A2C-B248-DF01B3FB87E9.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 28
Sorry if I’ve got the wrong end of a stick here, but a tweet found its way to me which seems to be suggesting a new re-introduction project for white-headed ducks at S’Albufera. My Spanish is pretty much non-existent, so hopefully someone can clarify?
http://www.caib.es/pidip2front/jsp/...-seva-extincioacute-a-les-illes-balearsstrong

Stew

Hi Stew

I always put things like this through google translate (Catalan - English).

For interest, this is what it says (with a few minor corrections):

"The white-headed duck returns to the Natural Park of s’Albufera 15 years after its extinction in the Balearic Islands.

Eight specimens from Valencia have been released in an environmentally restored area.

The Minister of the Environment and Territory, Miquel Mir, attended this Friday the release of eight specimens of white-headed duck (Oxyura leucocephala) in the Natural Park of s’Albufera in Mallorca. It is a species that became extinct approximately 15 years ago in the Balearic Islands and is included in the Homeier Plan for the recovery of waterfowl.

Mir was "very pleased" with this "key action in favor of the archipelago's biodiversity", especially after the serious fire that affected the Natural Park at the end of September. The councilor explained that the release was already scheduled before the accident and stressed that it was not necessary to delay it, a "convincing sign", as he said, "that the Albufera is very much alive".

The eight specimens come from the Fauna Recovery Center of the Generalitat Valenciana "Granja del Saler" and arrived in Mallorca this Friday. In this sense, the Minister thanked the transfer of the specimens by the Generalitat and framed it in a "continuous and reciprocal collaboration in biodiversity" while recalling that, from the Balearic Islands, have been sent ospreys and land turtles in that community.

The reintroduction of the white-headed duck has been possible after a series of actions that have allowed the creation of a lagoon (called Es Forcadet) that meets the ideal characteristics for the species: deep and fresh water, with abundant vegetation.

This species is distributed throughout the Palearctic from the Iberian Peninsula to China. The population in the state has increased considerably in recent years, going from a critical situation in 1977 (with 22 pairs) to counting thousands of specimens.

Possible threats to the species include possible confusion with other ducks of hunting interest and hybridization with specimens of a similar species (Oxyura jamaicensis). However, it is worth mentioning that this species does not reach the Balearic Islands easily and, therefore, the Species Protection Service considers that, if the reintroduction is a success, Mallorca could represent a new sanctuary for the white-headed duck."

Martin

The sunrise at passage 5 revealed a few Rock sparrows, a couple of Northern Wheatear, a Spotted flycatcher and a Common redstart.
I was joined by Mike S, Geordie David and Kevin but by that time, the sparrows had departed.
We were compensated with a rapid flying female Merlin.
We moved to the lighthouse but there was nothing much doing. It seems that raptor migration has died away to near zero so I think today will be the last visit this year.
We saw a couple of Scopoli’s shearwaters, what appeared to be an Osprey low over the water and two Sandwich terns.
A group of about 140 Ravens in the blue sky looked very impressive and well over 50 Plain Tiger butterflies went through.
I had to leave but the other three lads went to the salt pans so I hope they post later, hopefully with some more positive news.
Mike

Thanks Martin. Sounds very promising.
I hope it will be a success this time.
They will make a welcome addition to the marsh, lovely little ducks they are.
Mike
Sunrise from this morning

Attachments

• EB09C2D0-23EF-40E7-AA16-6A04986A7841.jpeg
    EB09C2D0-23EF-40E7-AA16-6A04986A7841.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi Stew

I always put things like this through google translate (Catalan - English).

For interest, this is what it says (with a few minor corrections):

"The white-headed duck returns to the Natural Park of s’Albufera 15 years after its extinction in the Balearic Islands.

Eight specimens from Valencia have been released in an environmentally restored area.

Martin

Thanks Martin, much appreciated as always.

I hope this effort is successful, but I wonder why the previous attempt failed. Presumably the reasons are understood and taken into account for this new attempt.

I saw an adult drake white-headed duck on one of the channels at S’Albufera on 7th May 2016, which I’ve always assumed was from the previous, failed, attempt.

Stew

Having left Mike M at the Cap, Kevin, Mike Swiss and I went on to Salobrar de Campos. First along Eddies Track and then on to the Es Trenc road to view the shallow ponds. The track was quiet although 80+ flamingo, lots of marsh harrier, a red kite and 2 eleanoras falcons were good to see. We did find 2 curlew, a water pipit but little else. On to the Es Trenc road we had been watching redshank and greenshank, plenty of shelduck and a few ringed plover when a mixed flock of waders came in. This included 20-30 Kentish plover, 5 dunlin and 5 little stint. Having left Port de Pollenca at 7.30 this morning, we decided at 4.30, to adjourn to the bar after a long day in the field in beautiful late summer sunshine. Another great day on this wonderful island. We are heading to Son Real in the morning to do it all again.

Thanks Martin, much appreciated as always.

I hope this effort is successful, but I wonder why the previous attempt failed. Presumably the reasons are understood and taken into account for this new attempt.

I saw an adult drake white-headed duck on one of the channels at S’Albufera on 7th May 2016, which I’ve always assumed was from the previous, failed, attempt.

Stew

According to The Birds of the Iberian Peninsula states that birds were introdced to s'Albufera in 1996 but was unsuccessful. One bird was found during the 2007 breeding season.

I remember seeing one on the Gran Canal but I can't recall the date, but I'm pretty sure that it would have been in the late 1990s, before I got involved in TAIB.

Looking back at previous posts, a drake was seen in June 2004 and was thought to be the last remaining bird from the introduction. On the 29 May 2006 a female followed by 5 ducklings were observed in s'Albufera. At about the same time there were observations of 6 adults in the park. None of the ducklings were thought to have suvived. There may have been subsequent introductions but I'd have to do some further research.

I think the general consensus was that the habitat was wrong, having changed since it was a breeding species. Introduced Carp are also a problem, stirring up the mud and killing aquatic vegetation (and the invertebrates that accompany them). Some recent photo that I've seen of the new lagoon seem to show a reasonable growth of aquatic vegetation.

Martin

A great day out today with Philip G, Kevin and Geordie David at the beautiful Finca Son Real.
It’s enormous fun talking about British birding, the reserves and rarities we have all chased, places around the world and birds we most want to see.
That made up for the lack of birds but 41 species was ok. The scenery is so spectacular that the birds almost don’t matter. The drinking pool was devoid of life save for a lone Robin.
Phil picked out a female Merlín, quite a few Song thrushes were seen and we enjoyed that little gem of a bird, the Firecrest, on the way out.
Butterflies were very impressive including Plain Tiger, Small copper, Two-tailed pasha and Clouded yellow.
I have never seen so many Dragonflies together in one place, near the muddy pool by the Finca. Most were emperor as far as could make out.
Thanks for your company lads.
Mike

Last edited:
Looking east towards Artá. Brilliant sunshine today, perfect walking weather.

Attachments

• A300387B-0974-494B-8A30-86D32CD0791B.jpeg
    A300387B-0974-494B-8A30-86D32CD0791B.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 60
Wonderful Sunny afternoon walk around Calla San Vincente region, including the Fishermans Path.
Birds seen included 3 Booted Eagles, 5 Blue Rock thrushes, Crag Martins, Goldfinches, Blue tits, Great tits, Yellow legged gulls, Audouins gulls, Shag, Sardinian warblers, Robins, Spotted Flycatcher, Red legged Partridges, Blackcaps, Crossbills, Grey Wagtails. The stars of the walk were 2 Black Vultures and 5 Balearic Warblers.

Attachments

• C0B6633D-3AC9-4AA7-B50D-AEFF060EE5FA.jpeg
    C0B6633D-3AC9-4AA7-B50D-AEFF060EE5FA.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 72FC2113-FDA7-480D-8B8D-C1919A8EA458.jpeg
    72FC2113-FDA7-480D-8B8D-C1919A8EA458.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 23
  • BF7FB42C-2F7A-4083-A9A3-75832B562B9C.jpeg
    BF7FB42C-2F7A-4083-A9A3-75832B562B9C.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 46539362-462A-4967-967A-A493FD808001.jpeg
    46539362-462A-4967-967A-A493FD808001.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 10FE877C-937C-447F-A58B-6719D6CB6B3E.jpeg
    10FE877C-937C-447F-A58B-6719D6CB6B3E.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Your Balearic warblers behaved better than ours at Son Real today Mike, they didn’t come out to play at all.
A Black stork was seen flying over Albufereta, the third this autumn.
Mike

Wonderful Sunny afternoon walk around Calla San Vincente region, including the Fishermans Path.
Birds seen included 3 Booted Eagles, 5 Blue Rock thrushes, Crag Martins, Goldfinches, Blue tits, Great tits, Yellow legged gulls, Audouins gulls, Shag, Sardinian warblers, Robins, Spotted Flycatcher, Red legged Partridges, Blackcaps, Crossbills, Grey Wagtails. The stars of the walk were 2 Black Vultures and 5 Balearic Warblers.

Hey Mike, good news to know you are here and good birds seen too!
Regards.Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back