• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (3 Viewers)

Hi Hugh
Thanks to Dave who told me about it, I watched it yesterday. Very entertaining it was too.
The locations were all over the place with most of it being filmed in Albufera but some other wetlands and a pine forest were thrown in for good measure.
A Common Buzzard was calling at the beginning which would be unusual.
For the first time ever though, the bird information was accurate with lots of well-informed comments.
So they did a good job overall and the baddies got caught.

Jason reports 830 Balearic shearwaters in just half an hour this morning at Porto Colom. He also picked out 8 Yelkoan shearwaters. As I have been watching from my balcony, I have only managed to see two definite Yelkoan as they are so far away but it’s nice to know there are a good number.
Mike
The Mallorca Files - what, no spoiler alert Mike?
I love seeing shearwaters, haven’t seen any on Lake Annecy yet though;)

Sorry for interrupting the seawatching discussion but for us landlocked and frustrated Mallorcaphiles the episode on BBC1 today of the Mallorca Files (geddit?) was about a missing birder and had lots of intercutting from Albufera, Albufereta and Port de Pollenca as well as some bird interest- I couldn't work out all the localities, however. Hugh Matthews Northampton
We binge-watched the new series on the BBC iPlayer. Haven’t had a chance to go back to it, but my friend John has suggested that the purple gallinule shown taking flight is, in fact, the American species as it has yellow legs, as opposed to the European “Purple Swamphen”. A bit esoteric I know!

Stew

Jason reports 830 Balearic shearwaters in just half an hour this morning at Porto Colom. He also picked out 8 Yelkoan shearwaters. As I have been watching from my balcony, I have only managed to see two definite Yelkoan as they are so far away but it’s nice to know there are a good number.
Mike
That’s excellent Mike! The two Yelkoans that I saw with you in 2019 put the icing on the cake of a wonderful evening’s sea watch. They were my last Planet Earth tick - don’t know where the next one might come from!

Stew

Hi Stew
I thought the gallinule looked a bit dodgy! It was but a fleeting glance though.
I know lots of bird calls and missing species are often obtained from library recordings but overall, they did a good job.
Sorry Richard, I should have given the spoiler alert!
The bad guys usually get caught though.
Mike

I hope Jason won’t mind me reproducing his day total here.
From nearby Porto Colom, he registered 2,300 Balearic shearwaters, 17 Yelkoan shearwaters, 3 Gannet and 2 Great skuas.
There then followed a long discussion on the status of Yelkoan in our waters but as it was all in Spanish, it will take me some time to digest it all.
I went to a lecture here on the shearwaters by the much respected and very knowledgeable Miguel but again, I didn’t understand it all. More Spanish classes needed methinks.
There is a possibility of hybridization I believe, further muddying the waters.
Also, there is a Great Skua out there with much whiter markings and a whitish head. There was talk of a subspecies but again, I will need more time.
One thing for sure is, I will be out there at dawn.
Mike

A brief seawatch this morning from 07.30 until 08.00 until the sun came streaming through the telescope making further watching impossible.
636 Balearics in just half an hour, the numbers really are increasing daily at the moment.
The first Scopoli’s shearwater went north, quite early but with all the high winds and storms recently, anything is possible.
I saw a Tern species on a bouy down at my local port yesterday. As soon as I lifted my binoculars, it flew away strongly. It was too small for a Sanwich Tern, the only likely species at this time of the year, and the tail was all wrong for that species. Heaven knows what it was. One of those annoying birds that you just have to let go of so I will never know.
A few Barn swallows in.
More news later I hope.
Mike

Dani kindly sent me an interesting article about the “Patogonia Picnic Table Effect”.
I’d never heard of it but it is well known in the USA apparently.
It means that when a rarity appears, lots of birders descend on the area and then find other good birds.
It is from Patagonia, Arizona, near the Mexican border.
The article says it’s a myth but I have to say I have experienced it before.
One example that springs to mind is when the one and only Golden-winged Warbler was found in Kent, UK, a Waxwing was also seen in Tesco’s car park nearby and a Great Grey Shrike was just over the road so I guess there must be some truth in it. Any other examples?
Mike

Last edited:
Dani kindly sent me an interesting article about the “Patogonia Picnic Table Effect”.
I’d never heard of it but it is well known in the USA apparently.
It means that when a rarity appears, lots of birders descend on the area and then find other good birds.
It is from Patagonia, Arizona, near the Mexican border.
The article says it’s a myth but I have to say I have experienced it before.
One example that springs to mind is when the one and only Golden-winged Warbler was found in Kent, UK, a Waxwing was also seen in Tesco’s car park nearby and a Great Grey Shrike was just over the road so I guess there must be some truth in it. Any other examples?
Mike
But the nearby Yellowthroat was suppressed. (Although to be fair if the Tesco’s car park crowd had known about it, total chaos would have ensued)

Stew

Hi Stew
I thought the gallinule looked a bit dodgy! It was but a fleeting glance though.
I know lots of bird calls and missing species are often obtained from library recordings but overall, they did a good job.
Sorry Richard, I should have given the spoiler alert!
The bad guys usually get caught though.
Mike
Yes, it had yellow legs so was the American species. It's also a bit like watching old episodes of the Sweeney and knowing London fairly well - the strange routes they used to take!
In this episode they're seen a lady off the pier in Puerto Pollensa and the next second catching her in Pollensa old town, off the main square! Still, it's fun trying to place all the locations.

Very high winds again today with a couple of trees blown down in my home town.
I doubt anyone was birding today but conditions are not ideal for further migrants arriving.
It will be interesting to see what has been blown off course.
I’m heading for Cap de Ses Salines first thing tomorrow as there may be some good seabirds around.
Mike

I was at the Cap de Ses Salines before first light expecting some great seabird passage and perhaps a few scarce birds but I was disappointed.
Apart from the high numbers of Balearic shearwaters, there were just two Sandwich terns and two Gannet.
I haven’t heard of any Razorbills this year, there are normally low numbers, and very few sightings of Red-breasted Mergansers.
750 Balearic shearwaters past my balcony this evening in one hour of watching.
I’m going to Son Real tomorrow in the hope of finding some Hawfinch.
Mike

As for yesterday, I had a surprisingly bird-rich day despite the wind. First I discovered that birds do not recognise tractors as a potential danger. I was working in our field on the tractor, surrounded by little egrets and pied wagtails - only a few feet away. As soon as I got off it, they dispersed although I had been in clear view before. Then at midday, a kestrel settled on our fence and let me get relatively close to take his photo. And then in the evening I went to Cala Figuera, the watchtower on the cliffs above the port to watch the Balearic shearwaters. I had never seen them before but what a glorious sight, skimming the waves! Certainly not numbers approaching a thousand but certainly many dozens in the 30-40 minutes I was watching. Being a novice is not all bad, the joy of discovery is very intense.

Mallorca0121-308.jpg Mallorca0121-312.jpg

Any day and at any time, Finca Publica de Son Real is a superb day out.
And so it was today in the company of derban and my wife.
Last time we were in the hide, we saw one Robin but today there was fairly constant action beginning with a fine male Crossbill, followed by a few more.
Siskin, Serin, Robin and Greenfinch joined the party and a Grey wagtail popped in too, a very welcome year tick.
Sadly no much-wanted Hawfinch but a very clean looking Meadow Pipit entertained us further.
We then walked down to the necropolis and scanned the coast and sea. A couple of Turnstone flew past and we saw Cattle and Little egrets. 93B0BC72-BE75-4B78-B378-D6E657E57CBC.jpeg
Shags were on the rocks with some Yellow-legged gulls.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few species but no doubt David will post and fill in the gaps.
David also brought some pies along which were consumed with much relish. Tuna and red pepper was a new one on me but it won’t be the last one. It was delicious.
So thanks David for a great day out and to my wife for keeping us going with hot coffee.
Mike

Beat me to it, Mike, but I can post quickly now because of a very quick shop on the way home – meatballs always a quick standby! But what a grand day in a superb location in great company. I couldn't believe we were there for five hours. It would have been a fine day out without the birds but I have now checked the list - 22 species all in all (OK, I counted a blackbird, but still). Here are one or two shots from the day, including the peregrine (?) that flew over the bay. No more than about six pixels to it. Thank you both; you said we would have fun, Mike. Fun was certainly had by me!
Mallorca0121-533.jpgMallorca0121-513.jpg Mallorca0121-491.jpg Mallorca0121-557.jpg

Attachments

• Mallorca0121-448-3.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
Beat me to it, Mike, but I can post quickly now because of a very quick shop on the way home – meatballs always a quick standby! But what a grand day in a superb location in great company. I couldn't believe we were there for five hours. It would have been a fine day out without the birds but I have now checked the list - 22 species all in all (OK, I counted a blackbird, but still). Here are one or two shots from the day, including the peregrine (?) that flew over the bay. No more than about six pixels to it. Thank you both; you said we would have fun, Mike. Fun was certainly had by me!
View attachment 1369161View attachment 1369158 View attachment 1369157 View attachment 1369159
Something funny with the photos - one only appears as a symbol under the heading attachments. No idea what happened there. Just click and it opens I hope.

A few more Sand martins and Barn Swallows in, mostly seen up north. Also some Red-rumped Swallows too, they usually appear around this time.
The Short-toed Eagle has been seen again.
No more news
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back