• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Birdmeister, it’s a wonderful place to watch migration and is my favourite hotspot in Mallorca.

When I first came to the Island I asked all birders to send records of Blue tits away from the mountains and I got a good response.
Most records were from the Pollença area but I’m still interested in any other sightings.
Mike

Mike, good to hear the raptor group is back at Albercutx for another season. I hope they have better luck than on our last visit which definitely falls into your category of "cold, windy and with no birds". Kevin and I still laugh about the 2 birds we saw in 6 hours. Good company and plenty of banter to keep us entertained though!!

Yes, it was a bad day David.
It was the first time I met you and I felt a bit guilty that there were so few birds, especially as I had said it would be good. I’ve got a photo of you and Kevin on that day looking cold and thoroughly miserable but I will save you the embarrassment of posting it here.
I believe the following weekend was mega but that’s just the way it goes I suppose.
Hopefully next time we meet there, it will be memorable.
Mike

Mike I think it’s fair to say that we’ve more than made up for that inauspicious start with many great days out since then. Hope to be back soon to take up where we left off
Yes, it was a bad day David.
It was the first time I met you and I felt a bit guilty that there were so few birds, especially as I had said it would be good. I’ve got a photo of you and Kevin on that day looking cold and thoroughly miserable but I will save you the embarrassment of posting it here.
I believe the following weekend was mega but that’s just the way it goes I suppose.
Hopefully next time we meet there, it will be memorable.
Mike

A nice group of Common Crane was seen by Mabel at Porto Colom this morning.
Some others have also been seen on migration recently.
It’s a pity it’s been such a poor year for this species.
Mike

A small group of House martins has arrived in my local village this morning.
Lovely to see these charismatic little acrobats flying back and forth, a good sign of things to come.
We are off to Bunyola today, walking with friends. They have seen Long-tailed tits near their home so here’s hoping. They are very localised here in Mallorca. I haven’t seen any for quite so time.
Mike

A very nice walk around Bunyola. Very impressive numbers of Red kites, the area seems awash with them.
Watching two groups of three locked into some kind of mating ritual was just stunning to watch as the birds swooped, dived and tumbled through the sky. A brilliant show which I could have watched all day.
Also, one Black Kite through very low, but it gained height and flew strongly north so it may well have been a migrant.
A brief seawatch as soon as I got home saw streams of shearwaters flying south.
It was good to see so many Scopoli’s in with the Balearics. I counted at least 60 in a very short time and as for the Balearics, my clicker couldn’t go fast enough.
I will do an accurate count early next week which will be interesting.
Mike

Oh dear. I’ve just read that the Cream-coloured courser was predated on by a Booted Eagle.
What a tragic end to this beautiful vagrant.
I remember driving to see an American Robin in the UK only to receive a message whilst en route that it had been taken by a cat.
I’m sure this has happened more times too.
Mike

Looks like Sebastià has seen and photographed a Puffin off the north point at Formentor.
Atlantic Puffin is so difficult to see from mainland Mallorca.
They are in the waters around the Island but usually far out.
I believe March is the best month to catch up with them.
I know Phil G. has been birding here for 20 years and only seen them twice. He saw one raft of Puffin from the same headland some years ago.
I have only ever seen one despite spending much of my birding life here at Cap de Ses Salines. That was the day after a big storm. I will never forget it that’s for sure.

Some locals went to the tower at Albercutx today but there were no migrants passing.
Maties has been recording nocturnal migration in the area and last night he recorded a good tally including a Yellowhammer.
The sun is out, bar and restaurant terraces are open again and our local port is full of day trippers.
With no sign of our inoculations, I’m keeping well away.
Mike

I also called in at the salt pans hoping for Garganey but no luck.
Over 300 Avocets looked nice though and there were good numbers of both Greater Flamingo and Marsh Harrier.
The countryside looks a picture at the moment with lush green grass and many wild flowers just beginning to appear.

Attachments

• 04B5A2C2-B0CF-4F32-9569-0A932BB95F22.jpeg
    04B5A2C2-B0CF-4F32-9569-0A932BB95F22.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 33
Shame abot the Courser. That view is gorgeous, looking really lush and verdant. There should be lots of insects about.

Martin

Juanjo, aka the Crake Man, has found a Spotted Crake at s’Albufera.
I would think a few of these go unrecorded as they are real skulkers.
Mike

Lots of hirundines at Maristany today so I’m off there tomorrow and I will report.
Also, a couple of Alpine swift came in-off at Cap Blanc.
Last year was a record year for me in seeing Alpine swift, nearly all seen from my balcony during lockdown.
I will be spending sometime again this year from home as it was such a revelation to see so many different species here.
We are free to travel anywhere so I obviously have a preference for the reserves but it’s surprising just what can be seen on the home front.
I hope UK and other birders are also making the best of the current restrictions.
Mike

I had a good trip round the north today starting at Maristany where there were Crag, House and Sand martins and two Red-rumped Swallows. Also present was the Mute swan although I didn’t see it, Common and Red-crested pochard and Tufted Ducks.
I then went to the tower at Albercutx but there were no migrants, just 17 Raven, 2 Black vultures, a Peregrine and a Common Kestrel. Also a Blue Rock Thrush.
At the Mirador I saw nothing of note.
I went to the lighthouse at Formentor to scan the sea for the Puffin that was seen a couple of days ago but no luck.
It was a beautiful day out in this mountainous and dramatic part of the Island.
Mike
Photographing hirundines is near impossible, this was the best of 244.

Attachments

• 3C38C0AE-0942-485F-ACAA-8275D9570B4F.jpeg
    3C38C0AE-0942-485F-ACAA-8275D9570B4F.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 22
  • F283B9D9-DC3C-4A92-9CEC-358B26A06971.jpeg
    F283B9D9-DC3C-4A92-9CEC-358B26A06971.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 22
The tower at Albercutx and the tower as seen from the Mirador.
It’s easy to see why it’s such a fabulous place to watch migration, perched up on one of the highest parts in the area.
Mike

Attachments

• 6E1C9FB0-DAE2-4514-A901-E736FB33635E.jpeg
    6E1C9FB0-DAE2-4514-A901-E736FB33635E.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 16
  • EDE2729B-78F5-468D-A7E3-5CA5989C9B17.jpeg
    EDE2729B-78F5-468D-A7E3-5CA5989C9B17.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 16
Today we went to Pla de Lanzell.
I love the open space and big skies, it always makes me feel good.
Still some Skylarks around, a Yellow wagtail and lots of Corn buntings. Marsh harriers, Red Kite and Booted Eagle.
A Spotless Starling was a surprise but I have seen them in many parts of the Island, particularly in recent years as they seem to be expanding their range.
We called in at our favourite bar for the traditional “pamboli” which is highly recommended to anyone who has not tried it. Bread and oil with various toppings. So cheap and delicious.
Photo with my apologies to non-meat eaters.
Mike

Attachments

• 011A9967-5E7B-41F5-89DF-FF9F8932DEB6.jpeg
    011A9967-5E7B-41F5-89DF-FF9F8932DEB6.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 73F93650-DC9A-45CB-808F-ED18C9504AB2.jpeg
    73F93650-DC9A-45CB-808F-ED18C9504AB2.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 8F2DA080-59CE-4281-A466-EF4D9980B692.jpeg
    8F2DA080-59CE-4281-A466-EF4D9980B692.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 41
Ah Mike, the pamboli is guaranteed to make my mouth water. But soon, very soon - with good luck and a following wind we'll be there at the end of March for a fortnight to have the car MOT-ed, mow the field and perhaps go birding somewhere...

Meanwhile I have tried to keep active birdwise up here near the Arctic circle, just north of Hamburg, and added one or two more year ticks. I was most interested to see you mention blue tits and long-tailed tits as something a bit localised on Mallorca. Blue tits are definitely the bird I have seen and heard most often here, which is good after many reports of disease killing them here last year (suttonella ornithocola). Let's hope that's over soon, like that other disease, what was it called now???

Both Sandra and I love "pamboli".
There Is a Restaurant In the old town of Alcudia,we go out of our way to visit,especially to have some.Not forgetting the home made Alioli

I went to Salobrar de Campos this morning down Camino de Sa Barrala but it was very quiet. A Black-tailed godwit and a ruff had been seen but the distant waders were difficult to identify due to the heat haze. Yes, 22 degrees it was with the sun shining straight down the telescope so I couldn’t confirm. Lots of very lively Marsh harriers though. Fabulous displays to enjoy.
I normally see groups of Common swift at this site quite early in the year but there were none, nor any hirundines.
It’s the best site for Collared pratincole later in the spring so I will be going regularly.
Mike

Another trip up to the tower at Albercutx this morning. No migrants yet but some local birds kept us amused. It was great to meet up with Pep, Lalo and others again.
I called into Maristany just after first light and managed to see a larus fuscus and 5 or 6 newly arrived Yellow wagtails. I then drove up the scary road to the tower.
A Blue Rock Thrush greeted me and a Balearic Warbler was in song. It finally perched on top of a bush and I managed a couple of distant photos. What brilliantly coloured bare parts these enigmatic little skulkers have.
It was good to catch up with all the news and talk birds. I have been birding alone so much over recent months so it was very enjoyable just chatting.
Luckily, Pep speaks excellent English so he was able to translate the difficult bits for me.
During the conversation, Lalo casually mentioned that “Pruni” had joined us. A delightful Alpine accentor walked under our scopes and allowed some close-ups.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back