• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

As Mike Montier posted; I was walking the dogs at Son Real coastal on Friday Aug 6th. It was baking hot and I really didn't expect to see much birdlife, in fact it was the first time that I`d been out with my bins and camera since early July. However, there were quite a few Kentish Plover, Audouin's gulls, a Woodchat shrike and a Turnstone. I`ve seen Turnstone in every month of the year at Son Real coastal. But best of all , there were Whimbrel. There were 2 birds on the small island and a small flock of 19 birds in flight. They were quite distant but I managed to get a few photos. Excellent, made my day and it was a species I needed for my year list. I initially thought that they were a little early but no; apparently this is just the time of year when they make an appearance.
When I got back home I switched the camera on to transfer the photos to my laptop and the camera battery was showing almost empty! So I only just made it with the Whimbrel photos, phew.

Attachments

• IMG_4682.JPG
    IMG_4682.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4685.JPG
    IMG_4685.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4694.JPG
    IMG_4694.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 24
Very nice Phil, thanks for posting.
I’m meeting up with the two Phillips tomorrow to visit the depuradora and Albufera.
With more returning waders at Salobrar today, I’m hopeful. But then I always am.
I will report tomorrow.
Mike

I met up with Mike Montier and Phil Garnett this morning at the Depuradora behind the Albufera. We had about an hour or so there and then moved on to the Albufera. We had a fantastic day, saw lots of birds. I couldn't believe the difference between July and August, the Albufera has really come back to life. We all had to leave fairly early but we still found 60 plus species, including - Black Tailed Godwit, Little Stint, Spotted Redshank, Curlew Sandpiper, Whimbrel. But the star of the show was Broad Billed Sandpiper, only the 2nd time ever seen in Mallorca! A very memorable day. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4737.JPG
    IMG_4737.JPG
    574 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4748.JPG
    IMG_4748.JPG
    554.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4756.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4794.JPG
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4819.JPG
    IMG_4819.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4862.JPG
    IMG_4862.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
Thanks for today Phil.
I can only echo every word, it was a fabulous day.
I can’t add to the photos either, they are all top class.
Mike

Attachments

• 2123BF2D-2940-468B-8387-3BAC5560D245.jpeg
    2123BF2D-2940-468B-8387-3BAC5560D245.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 192308B7-9B28-47FA-979D-0D10C8D8F8C5.jpeg
    192308B7-9B28-47FA-979D-0D10C8D8F8C5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Hi Cristina.
So pleased that La Gola will be open again.
I’m sure many of us will be coming to see you.
I know quite a few British birders have booked to come over in September and October.
Good luck for the autumn migration.
Mike

Ever impatient, I was at the Cap early this morning.
Despite seeing 5 Black kite around the Island yesterday, nothing came through.
Hundreds of people streamed through, asking directions to the beach and wanting me to take group photographs. That was about the only action today, only lots of Spotted flycatchers kept me amused.
That should be Balearic flycatchers I think.
A few of us are going on Sunday so things will hopefully improve by then although we are in the middle of a heat-wave.
Biel reports that the Broad-billed sandpiper is still at s’Albufera so it’s been a long-stayer allowing many people to enjoy this second for Mallorca.
Mike

Hi,
Since some days ago, it is still checking phase, there is in Mallorca a new professional Hide, by now, in these first weeks spezialized in Red kites, but probably soon there will be more raptors there.
It is at Marratxi, near Palma, and the pictures you can get there are spectaculars.
Visit the web and maybe you will be interested in a visit, it is managed by 2 good friends, and the pictures you can take are stunning.
Josep

Attachments

• son-miol-hides-birds-18.jpg
    son-miol-hides-birds-18.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 17
  • son-miol-hides-birds-16.jpg
    son-miol-hides-birds-16.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
There have been a couple of sightings of Oystercatcher recently, never an easy bird.
I haven’t seen one this year despite visiting one of their favorite winter haunts many times earlier in the year.
Mike

Hi,
Since some days ago, it is still checking phase, there is in Mallorca a new professional Hide, by now, in these first weeks spezialized in Red kites, but probably soon there will be more raptors there.
It is at Marratxi, near Palma, and the pictures you can get there are spectaculars.
Visit the web and maybe you will be interested in a visit, it is managed by 2 good friends, and the pictures you can take are stunning.
Josep
Stunning photos Pep. I'm back in September for a few weeks and will try and get there

I have been to the Cap a couple of times more.
Nothing doing at all and in this heat-wave, it’s uncomfortable.
I went again this morning with Lalo and Suzana.
After only a short time, we moved up the road to the shade of some pine trees.
5 Woodchats were present and two Bonelli’s eagles put on a show of affection.
A Marsh harrier left the Island, the first official migrant raptor at this site.
After my colleagues left, I saw another Marsh harrier leave to the south.
Well, it’s a start but I look forward to further action in the near future.
Three visits a week is my minimum so I have high hopes.
Mike

Toni reports two Temminck’s stints at Salobrar.
I had another visit to the Cap.
Just one kestrel species left Mallorca at 11.07 low and fast and out to sea.
its still ghastly hot but I believe some rain is due later.
mike

Balearic flycatchers are suckers for posing and it’s easy to get good photos.
Migrating raptors are not so easy but when the birds come past low, there are better results.
Just a taste of what’s to come with this lovely pale Honey buzzard.
Let’s hope it’s a good season for this much wanted beauty. We never fail to cheer when they go through.
Mike

Attachments

• 80A1191C-9D8A-4CA9-BFE0-D3B56E4214B5.jpeg
    80A1191C-9D8A-4CA9-BFE0-D3B56E4214B5.jpeg
    780.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2BDF2EBE-6CD4-49F9-B5C9-197CDDB971F4.jpeg
    2BDF2EBE-6CD4-49F9-B5C9-197CDDB971F4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
I had 3 Booted Eagles circling over my garden yesterday Mike, all pale and calling constantly, lovely sight to see and hear.
My wife Jan and I took the dogs for a walk again today from Son Baulo along the Son Real coastal walk. This was the first time we'd been there since we found the flock of Whimbrel 11 days ago. We were incredibly lucky once again.This time we found a flock of 27 Oystercatchers in flight. Lovely. Since I moved over here 6 years ago I`ve only seen them in ones or two`s.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5049.JPG
    IMG_5049.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5050.JPG
    IMG_5050.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 15
Some Willow warblers and Pied flycatchers have been seen on return migration, a little earlier than normal.
I paid a short visit to the central plain today. Not the best time of the day but I still managed a minimum of 27 Common kestrel, nearly all young birds. I’m sure there were more.
I believe Jasón saw around 50 at this site a couple of days ago so I guess the Cap de Ses Salines will be a bit more lively this weekend. Many Barn swallows were passing through the plain, a sure sign things are on the move.
Mike

Info please! We’re looking to fly from the UK and return for a few days on the Island in September. Looking at the forms / pcr tests etc. required to leave the UK and enter Spain and return, my head is spinning. Can anyone explain what we need to do? (We’re both fully vaxed up), or recommend a single web source? Gov.UK isn’t as clear as it might be. Thanks!

Stew

Hi Stew
If nobody responds on here, I know that the Puerto Pollença Facebook site is very helpful so maybe worth asking there.
We are returning to the UK ourselves in late September so I will no doubt be asking you!

Some more movement today so things are looking up for the weekend.
I will post all news I get.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Stew
If nobody responds on here, I know that the Puerto Pollença Facebook site is very helpful so maybe worth asking there.
We are returning to the UK ourselves in late September so I will no doubt be asking you!

Some move movement today so things are looking up for the weekend.
I will post all news I get.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I’ll give it a look.

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back