• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (9 Viewers)

This bird has just turned up on the Isles of Scilly. Debate going on as to whether a spot or med flycatcher. Picture courtesy of Tim Jones. Any thoughts from the resident experts on Med Fly either way gratefully accepted. More pics available.
Ought to add that the IOS has a really good w/e just gone with migrant overshoots including purple heron, red-rumped swallow, pallid swift, hoopoe, woodchat shrike, 2 serin and 3 golden orioles.

Attachments

• c96588b7-d229-462f-a113-6296ec67684e.jpeg
    c96588b7-d229-462f-a113-6296ec67684e.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi Luscinia
There are a couple of WhatsApp groups locally but they do not have a facility for short-term membership.
Nearly all the news is posted on this forum but it’s not up-to-the-minute. It’s normally updated in the evening so that’s a bit late for one-day birds but is a reliable source of information for what is being seen around the Island.
I will try to post news as soon as I get it which I hope will help you.
Good luck when you arrive and do please let us know what you are seeing. Lots I hope!
Mike

I had a sneaky half an hour down at the salt pans at lunch-time.
7 Wood sandpipers were nice and a Collared pratincole did a few fly-overs.
It looked great despite the looming dark clouds.
In the end, the rain didn’t come which is a pity because the Island is in dire need of a good soaking.
The wild flowers have not lived up to their normal spectacular selves, no doubt due to the lack of water.
I believe it’s quite serious at the moment with a long summer season ahead and an ever-growing number of visitors.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN9613.jpeg
    DSCN9613.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCN9595.jpeg
    DSCN9595.jpeg
    998.5 KB · Views: 21
Early March was a reported hen harrier at S'Albufera Wetlands. I saw it photographed and added to here too. However, coming home and actually getting around to posting some of photos on FB the general consensus is that it was a Montagus Harrier. Any thoughts welcome! Apologies for delay!!

Attachments

• 2I9A6901.JPG
    2I9A6901.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2I9A6900.JPG
    2I9A6900.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2I9A6898 2.JPG
    2I9A6898 2.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2I9A6897.JPG
    2I9A6897.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2I9A6893.JPG
    2I9A6893.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2I9A6890 2.JPG
    2I9A6890 2.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2I9A6887 2.JPG
    2I9A6887 2.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 23
I’ll be back in Mallorca at lunchtime today for a 3 weeks visit and looking forward to catching up with British and Mallorquin birding pals once again. It was 1° with a heavy frost when I left home this morning so anything better than that is a bonus. I’ve been reading the notes from my corresponding trip this time last year. 143 species seen with returning Eleonoras falcons, lesser kestrels and bee eaters and passage roller, golden oriole, pratincoles and red footed falcons. Add in a mix of wood warblers, pied flycatchers, Egyptian vulture, whinchat, terns and short toed lark and there is so much to look forward to. From postings on this forum and various WhatsApp groups it is clear that migration, whilst slow, is underway and you just never know what might turn up. It would be good to say hello to any other visiting birders while I am here. This is perhaps the most exciting time of the year to be on the island. Enjoy!!

I’ll be back in Mallorca at lunchtime today for a 3 weeks visit and looking forward to catching up with British and Mallorquin birding pals once again. It was 1° with a heavy frost when I left home this morning so anything better than that is a bonus. I’ve been reading the notes from my corresponding trip this time last year. 143 species seen with returning Eleonoras falcons, lesser kestrels and bee eaters and passage roller, golden oriole, pratincoles and red footed falcons. Add in a mix of wood warblers, pied flycatchers, Egyptian vulture, whinchat, terns and short toed lark and there is so much to look forward to. From postings on this forum and various WhatsApp groups it is clear that migration, whilst slow, is underway and you just never know what might turn up. It would be good to say hello to any other visiting birders while I am here. This is perhaps the most exciting time of the year to be on the island. Enjoy!!
See some for me Dave.

regards
Merlin

Hi Luscinia
There are a couple of WhatsApp groups locally but they do not have a facility for short-term membership.
Nearly all the news is posted on this forum but it’s not up-to-the-minute. It’s normally updated in the evening so that’s a bit late for one-day birds but is a reliable source of information for what is being seen around the Island.
I will try to post news as soon as I get it which I hope will help you.
Good luck when you arrive and do please let us know what you are seeing. Lots I hope!
Mike
Thank you very much, Mike. I have managed to get the forum on my phone now which will help a lot! We will certainly post anything we see! We cannot wait to arrive as I have not been to Mallorca since 2011, another person since 2017, and the other 2 have never been!
Pauline aka Luscinia

Hi Dave we will be arriving just a week before you leave so our paths may eventually cross as we know your local watering holes :ROFLMAO:🍺

Hi Mike
I usually leave the finer points of difficult identification questions to those better equipped than me, but just for interest, I attach a few photos of our local birds.
Yours looks good to me for Mediterranean flycatcher but as the popular phrase goes: “what do I know?”
I hope you get a positive DNA result.
All the best.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7733.jpeg
    DSCN7733.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN5430.jpeg
    DSCN5430.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN5425.jpeg
    DSCN5425.jpeg