• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May 2009 Moths (1 Viewer)

I have done no mothing this year due to some medication that I am taking that is really knocking me about. To be honest I am always tired out each night and just haven't got the energy to do any mothing.

Last night I found this moth on the Kitchen window and was wondering if it is a Scalloped Hazel. I have never seen one before so it would be a first for me.

John

Sure is John- but it does look a bit melanistic.

Several NFY last night including a new for garden (gold spot)
Setaceous Hebrew character
white ermine (which has laid eggs)
peppered moth
large yellow underwing (first imago)
heart and dart
great prominent
gold spot
silver-ground carpet.
Oligia sp.

I've not looked at the pugs yet!
Ken

Attachments

• gold spot ex6803 (800).JPG
    gold spot ex6803 (800).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 29
  • great prominent ex6798 (800).JPG
    great prominent ex6798 (800).JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 37
  • peppered moth ex6824 (800).JPG
    peppered moth ex6824 (800).JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 31
  • white ermine ex6808 (800).JPG
    white ermine ex6808 (800).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
A much quieter night last night, with far smaller numbers and diversity than the night before, but it was very clear.

Two new for the year:

Small Magpie 2
The Flame 1

Hi all,

Just a couple of questions, are the moths pictured below birch mocha and alder moth? Also I had 8 Common wainscots on saturday night, is this a bit early or to be expected with the hotter temps (in Norfolk).

Thanks

Attachments

• birch mocha.jpg
    birch mocha.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 34
  • alderm.jpg
    alderm.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 37
Hi all,

Just a couple of questions, are the moths pictured below birch mocha and alder moth? Also I had 8 Common wainscots on saturday night, is this a bit early or to be expected with the hotter temps (in Norfolk).

Thanks

IDs look good to me.
It's a little early for common wainscot, I guess. I've not had any yet. But many moths are appearing early this year.

Thanks surrybirder, Both are ticks for me so I'm happy with the ID's. Are there any other wainscots on the wing at the moment? I'm pretty sure they were commons though, on heathland/ silver birch stands on sandy soil.

Thanks surrybirder, Both are ticks for me so I'm happy with the ID's. Are there any other wainscots on the wing at the moment? I'm pretty sure they were commons though, on heathland/ silver birch stands on sandy soil.

I've been catching Common Wainscot here in Cambridgeshire for the past 2 weeks. Like just about everything else this year they're much earlier than normal.

David

I had a very good night on the 23rd. I had 57 moths with 24 species. It took the best part of the day to sort them all out, identify and photograph them. I am just left with 2 very small micro's to ID.

I tried sugaring on the 24th but it wasn't very successful as nothing landed on it. I also had the trap out at the same time for a few hours so maybe this distracted them. Is it too early for sugaring yet.

Not much last night in the trap. I've been away and arrived home yesterday first thing in the morning to find my garden full of Painted Ladies! :t: I've put a message in the P L migration thread. No sign of any so far this morning.

Nerine

I counted another 28 flying through the garden today. Strong west wind blowing.

Last edited:
The trap was very busy last night, until at least 1am when I finally went to bed. It poured down later on but the trap was still packed this morning. Lots new for the year:

Silver-ground Carpet 1
Willow Beauty 1
Light Brocade 1
Fan-foot 1
Dark Arches 1
Blood-vein 1 very fresh beautiful individual
Silver Y 1 - associated with the Painted Lady movement?
Marbled Minor 3
Rufous Minor 1
(also Tawny Marbled Minor 1)
Caloptilia alchimiella 1

Other highlights included
Light Emerald 6
Clouded Silver 8
Pale Prominent 2
Pale Tussock 2
Spruce Carpet 1
The Flame 1
Peppered Moth 1
Poplar Hawk 1
Lime Hawk 2

and a luminous Green Pug

The trap was very busy last night, until at least 1am when I finally went to bed. It poured down later on but the trap was still packed this morning. Lots new for the year:

Good catch - Your luminous Green Pug must have been nice! It started raining here at 1am too but I only had a dozen or so moths and nothing unusual.
Had a Silver Y.

Nerine

Cheers! The Pug was beautiful but a tad ironic given the time it had taken me to identify the previous Green Pug last week! This one was glowing.

Lots of nice photos, lists and species to see in this thread now. Thats good, especially when my own trap don't produce too much. But after moving the trap closer to the woodland, and with last nights better conditions the catch improved, and also with many new species for the year. Like:

24/5:
Shears 1
Toadflax Brocade 1

25/5:
Sallow Kitten 1
Pale-shouldered Brocade 1
Pale Prominent 3
Clouded Border 2
Dark Brocade 4
And the lovely looking Anclya badiana 3

No time for serious moth photography, but i add a few crappy photos with moths on egg trays.

Svein B

Attachments

• DSCN1234.JPG
    DSCN1234.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN1246.JPG
    DSCN1246.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1247.JPG
    DSCN1247.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1251.JPG
    DSCN1251.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1263.JPG
    DSCN1263.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 34
I had 18 moths, 8 species in the trap after a windy night, the highlight being a new one for me:

Striped Hawkmoth (new!) |=)|
Large Yellow Underwing (nfy)
Shuttle-shaped Dart (5)
Vine's Rustic (4)
Heart & Dart (3)
Ruby Tiger
Muslin Moth
E.Postvittana (2)

The weather is awful, persistent rain and getting worse so I couldn't get the photo I wanted of the hawk-moth. It's an indoor pic on a dull egg box but the moth itself is beautiful!

One of the Shuttle-shaped Darts I trapped last night was exceptionally pretty - I suppose it is one?! Their markings and colour vary hugely.

Nerine
ps added a photo showing the attractive antennae. The weather stayed grim, I tried some pics outside but the wind blew up its wings into a flap! I'd liked to have got one with the wings slightly open but he wouldn't co-operate!

Attachments

• Striped Hawk-moth 26 May.jpg
    Striped Hawk-moth 26 May.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 37
  • shuttle-shaped dart 26 May.jpg
    shuttle-shaped dart 26 May.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 38
  • striped hawk 26 May.jpg
    striped hawk 26 May.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Lovely Striped hawk Nerine.

Had an hours trapping or so on Sunday night.

Brown house moth
Brimstone 10
Light brown apple moth 7
Twenty plume moth 6
Scalloped hazel 2
Miller
Larch pug
Common pug
Flame 2
Bright line-brown eye
May highflyer
Epagoge Grotiana
Scoparia Ambigualis
White spotted pug

DSCF8627.jpg

May Highflyer.

DSCF8633.jpg

Miller.

DSCF8636.jpg

Scalloped hazel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back