• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Sublime work, Mike, truly sublime. Just found and read through the entire thread.

Found myself edging closer to the screen to see the detail and then leaning back to soak it all up. Was in raptures with the Kestrel (magnificent feather work) and blown away by the Snipe at post #333.

Sublime work, Mike, truly sublime. Just found and read through the entire thread.

Found myself edging closer to the screen to see the detail and then leaning back to soak it all up. Was in raptures with the Kestrel (magnificent feather work) and blown away by the Snipe at post #333.

Thank you Andy, glad you've found us in the best bit of BF. The kestrel was a return to a very detailed style after a period of loose painting inspired by others on here. At the moment I'm planning on running the two styles alongside each other and I'm currently working on a detailed snipe portrait.

Mike

Don't you just hate that... painting a snipe all day and it's jogging along nicely and I'm real pleased with it. Then I take a risk and the whole thing turns into a giant c*ck-up! Where's the Cmd-Z key when you need it?! Now I'll have to spend tomorrow putting it right...

Tim, line 'em up on the ol' bar mate, I need a drop of the good stuff!....

Mike

Don't you just hate that... painting a snipe all day and it's jogging along nicely and I'm real pleased with it. Then I take a risk and the whole thing turns into a giant c*ck-up! Where's the Cmd-Z key when you need it?! Now I'll have to spend tomorrow putting it right...

Tim, line 'em up on the ol' bar mate, I need a drop of the good stuff!....

Mike

happens to me all the time! apart from the snipe bit, haven't seen one of those (my favourite bird too!) for a few years now!

I'm off to Elmley in the morning to swot-up on snipe, this time of year they are pretty visible most visits although they tend to be sitting in long, green (grr!) grass rather than doing anything interesting!

Couple of pascherans and off to bed!

Mike

The summer lull has settled over Elmley, the birds are quiet and the grasshoppers are noisy. The avocets are slowly relinquishing their near monopoly of the scrapes and there was a group of about forty blacktailed godwits sharing the shallow water last weekend. This week there were one or two of the blackwits and a group of dunlin milling about as a smattering of common sands darted about picking at the abundant flies on the water's surface. A few lapwings were snoozing in the grass and a couple of pairs of ringed plover chased the redshanks when the avocets couldn't be bothered. I watched as one ringed plover gave the full broken wing charade to a passing moorhen and a couple of the redshanks indulged in a bit of kung-fu, although it's quiet there's always something to delight. Meanwhile the last of the season's avocet chicks busied themselves in the shallows watched over by their attentive parents. Every now and again the alarm would be sounded for a passing marsh harrier or a kestrel and the avocets would launch like a squadron of 1940's spitfires to the intercept; 'Bogeys one five Biffo. Tally Ho!'
On sunday afternoon my daughter Beth asked if we could take a trip to a traditional hay meadow for a bit of a walk and who was I to refuse? No bir ds but there were butterflies and wildflowers in abundance, meadow browns and marbled whites along with large skippers and other 'whites' made the experience worthwhile. I couldn't avoid crushing quite a few small snails in the grass underfoot and Beth found their pop and crunch every few steps highly amusing. I don't think we could have had any real impact on the population as a whole though. The evening was pleasant weather for once and I sat in the gathering darkness to listen to our blackbird singing and enjoy a couple of glasses of my fave. I'd had a day off on friday to attend my son's graduation ceremony so, all things taken into consideration, a pretty good weekend this week. Didn't get time to sort out the snipe piccy though so that's for another day. Here's some sketches from this weekend and last.

Mike

Attachments

• avchik.jpg
    avchik.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65
  • avonelegi.jpg
    avonelegi.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 61
  • avsleep.jpg
    avsleep.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 66
  • comsandi.jpg
    comsandi.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 65
  • lapalone.jpg
    lapalone.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just a few more:

Attachments

• lapav.jpg
    lapav.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 61
  • resds1.jpg
    resds1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 63
  • rplovs.jpg
    rplovs.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 67
  • bbdindrk.jpg
    bbdindrk.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 69
wonderful, feels like I've had a great day out birding now, even if I have just sat at home!

Isn't it great! Don't know what I enjoy the most, the fieldwork or the wonderful written accounts, both combined provide the most wonderful account of the day out you almost feel you were there....
Your artwork is top class Mike, love this most recent batch. You really have a talent with words my friend, a column in an interest related magazine or newspaper really would befit you...

Just to concur - words and images, both combine to make a thoroughly delightful pastoral experience. You really convey a true and honest sense of happiness and wellbeing that's hard to resist.
Great stuff.

Just to concur - words and images, both combine to make a thoroughly delightful pastoral experience. You really convey a true and honest sense of happiness and wellbeing that's hard to resist.
Great stuff.

Yeah, I agree - sickening isn't it?;)
Lovely sketches, as usual I'm envious.

Since I'm indulging a snipe fetish at the moment, here's a more detailed 'portrait'. Nothing groundbreaking I know but there's a show coming up where snipe are always popular and I've just bought a new camera that I've got to pay for!

Mike

Attachments

• snipe-potrait.jpg
    snipe-potrait.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 89
That's a beauty indeed! Superb portrait of my favourite bird, you've really captured the 'waxy gloss' to the dark parts of the bird. Wonderful wonderful!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back