• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Nice Work, Mike. I like all of the landscapes, but my favorite is also the first one.
It's perfect with getting the idea, lighting, mood, across with the least amount of brush work.

The sketches are great. I can't wait to read your blog!

Thanks all. Funny enough my family all prefer the second of the landscapes but the first is what I was after so I'm happiest with that. There's loads more sketches to come, (Can I hear a collective groan?!), but, unlike Nick I've yet to get them all scanned.
Hope you enjy the blog Beth, I'll be linking up with everyone once I work out how...

Mike

Good to see you back and fully charged Mike. The landscapes are, in themselves, valid investigative studies with plenty of creative merit (of which number 3 is my fav.) and I can see them being combined with at least a few of your bird studies (like Ed, I can see a hoppy woody bouncing about) or maybe those divine swallows with no 3 as a backdrop giving a very real and identifiable sense of place. I'm oof to your blog after the kids dentist app. Great work!

I was out at Elmley today (I'm off work for the week, yipee!) and I saw this and thought it pretty unusual. Excuse the crap photo but they were a long way off!

Mike

Attachments

• the-odd-couple.jpg
    the-odd-couple.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 90
The blog's been updated again with more from the farm holiday so I won't write it up longhand again but, suffice to say, day two was a great day. The weather was fine for most of the day and we even felt brave enough to take a dip in the outdoor swimming pool! More of the familiar faces and creatures were spotted and commited to the sketchpad and the memory so here's another couple. There's loads more to come and I'm about half way through a bigger painting inspired by the week, watch this space and shout if you get bored!

Mike

Attachments

• barnowl1.jpg
    barnowl1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 73
  • barnowl2.jpg
    barnowl2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 68
  • lilowl-02.jpg
    lilowl-02.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 73
  • lilowl-03.jpg
    lilowl-03.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 69
I think the hobby was an adult and the kes joined him for a couple of minutes. Neither seemed to mind the other. It's a first for me!

Mike

masterful owls, you really know your way around their forms and character - will make sure I have a look at the blog when I've got my things ready for work tomorrow. Nice photo, even without the kestrel it would be unusual for me to see a hobby sitting in the open!

masterful owls, you really know your way around their forms and character - will make sure I have a look at the blog when I've got my things ready for work tomorrow. Nice photo, even without the kestrel it would be unusual for me to see a hobby sitting in the open!

Elmley is mostly just one big open space so it's not unusual to see all sorts sitting in the middle of nowhere! It makes for good clear views most of the time but the backgrounds tend to leave a little to be desired! I'm making the most of the hobbies while they're still here.

Mike

Mike ive just got to let you know, thoses farm painting are fantastic.
Very nicely detailed, and like all your paintings, very realistic.
Ive just got one question to ask you aswell (im a nuisance i know) do you plan to do anymore Swallows? Only the 'Soon' painting was wonderfully done and i admired it hugely. Please say there are more |=)|

Mike ive just got to let you know, thoses farm painting are fantastic.
Very nicely detailed, and like all your paintings, very realistic.
Ive just got one question to ask you aswell (im a nuisance i know) do you plan to do anymore Swallows? Only the 'Soon' painting was wonderfully done and i admired it hugely. Please say there are more |=)|

I may do more swallow paintings Sam, in fact there are a couple of ideas banging about in my head right now. Sometimes though ideas get filed and pop out years later when they are ready to hatch!

Mike

I have the same mindset to. Sometimes i'll be in in the shower or washing-up and then suddenly i'll have a idea, stop what im doing, grab a peice of paper and a pencil and start sketching! My other half looks at me as if ive gone mad :-O
Im hoping you will treat us to another Swallow, but in your own time of course.
Good luck with your new projects Mike,
All the best...:t:

maybe that's why his other half looks at him as if he's gone mad...

And besides, Tim, who needs clothes when you've got a good idea!;)

Sam's the female half of the partnership Beth, and I think I need to go take a shower now, a nice cold one! |:$|

Mike

Lifer alert! Out at Elmley this morning a large marsh harrier turned out to be an osprey!! Yipee! Lovely views of it as it sauntered out to the Swale pursued by crows and lapwings then folded its wings and went into a steep fishing dive before disappearing behind the sea wall. I am well chuffed and haven't been able to stop smiling all day.

Mike

Well done Mike - that'll be two cold showers required!!!!!
Here's a little pressie - I now live next-door-but-one to the Stromness Museum of Natural History (quite handy for some reference, actually) - here's 'our' osprey.

Attachments

• osprey.jpg
    osprey.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 80
Cheers Tim, my views were good, but maybe not that good! That's a good bit of work there.

BTW. Remember the orangey snipe 'daily' that I wasn't too pleased with in the final analysis? It sold at the birdfair, so I guess I should adjust my opinions of my own work...

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back