• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

excellent one of the ringie with the gull corpse, the sort of thing you only get from field observation.

A pretty good trip today, the weather wasn't too unkind and there seems to be a promise in the air. Spotted a peregrine on the way in and a female hen harrier put in a brief back view as she flew directly away, I wonder if hen harriers actually have heads? My field observation seems to suggest that they only have tails and wings and these only ever point away from the observer...

The tide was out and the scrape was quiet apart from three of four ringed plover chasing about as if spring had sprung. There were plenty of sleeping ducks; Wigeon, teal, shoveller and mallard and, for a short while, a lone avocet popped in. During the summer these scrapes will be heaving with avocet so this one was nice to see as a forerunner of things to come and a sign of spring. Way off over the far side a group of snipe were snoozing and I couldn't resist despite the distance.

Mike

Attachments

• 1st-avo.jpg
    1st-avo.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1st-avo2.jpg
    1st-avo2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 40
  • sleepysnipe.jpg
    sleepysnipe.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 61
Love the group of snipe. I never seem to get the shape right with any detail perhaps it's something to do with the fantastic camo they have breaking up the shape. You've captured the mood really well and looks a good candidate to be worked up in to a painting.

I just found this pdf of a small article about me that was published in a local newspaper a while ago. I thought I'd give you all a laff! B :)

Mike

Attachments

• Newspaper interview.pdf
    854.8 KB · Views: 79
"Lots of things I don't know, I don't really know how you guys go about starting you paintings after your sketches."

Greg posted this so I thought I'd post a bit of a work in progress as a reply.

I don't know about others but when I'm between paintings I tend to get tetchy so it's always a good idea for me to be painting something! If all else fails I'll resort to a study like the barn owl on a stick here, nothing groundbreaking I know but it keeps me amused. Incidently, one thing that does bother me about painting studies like this barnie is that people tend to assume that the reference photo comes from the local falconry centre. I'm sure that many paintings do but, ironically, this one is a genuine wild barnie from my Norfolk hols last year, it just happens to be sitting on a post that could easily have been a block perch. But I digress.

Once I've got something underway I start thinking about the next project and for inspiration I almost invariably turn to my sketchbooks. Even if the sketches don't get used verbatim they still provide that little jog that I need to get a bit of creative juice flowing. I came across a page of Gsw's and instantly wanted to do a woody painting. Unlike with the study, I was desperate to avoid the upright rectangle with a trunk vertically through the middle and pecker clinging to the side, so I began fiddling with thumbnails and whittled 'em down to two which I drew up a bit further. I decided that I liked the oak one better and scanned it in. I then used photoshop to enlarge the drawing and I printed it in sections which I joined so that I'd have the drawing at the final size. I also scanned my sketch and ran it out seperately to the finished size. The sketch has been refined using various reference books to make sure it was right. (I realise that the toes have rather run away with themselves and they will be reined in!). The next stage is a quick trace of the main elements of the enlarged drawing and a transfer to the painting surface, in this case my favourite illustration board. I'll post further progress as I go along but first I'm off to continue with the barnie on a stick.

Mike

Attachments

• bowlstudywip.jpg
    bowlstudywip.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 51
  • gswsketch.jpg
    gswsketch.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 41
  • gswthumb1.jpg
    gswthumb1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 49
  • gswthumb2.jpg
    gswthumb2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 43
  • gswbigthumb1.jpg
    gswbigthumb1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 50
Wonderful, Woody! That oak looks like it'll be lots of fun (great composition, too). Now that's the diminutive 'pecker I wanted to do in my last painting!

looks like theres going to be some detail to this oak.......and if its anything like your pebbles in detail, Im awaiting a stonker......

I must be getting dementia - I've commented on all these several times (but obviously forgotten to type).
Love the wl on a stick - Nick is spot on, of course. Nothing wrong with revisiting a theme, especially if it's done as well as this. And - very, very nice drawings for the pecker comp - really looking forward to seeing this one develop (although, these prelims could very easily be framed and hug).

Just thought I'd post some sketches from last Sunday and a couple from Monday. The avocets are back! There is display and mating going on and a group of 10-15 birds were snoozing, holding back their energy for the rigours to come. A pair of snipe were playing hide and seek, in and out of the sedges and grass, visible then invisible, I love these birds and hope to get a load more reference this spring/summer if they breed close enough to the roadside.

I spent a lunch hour (or two) in Kensington gardens especially to see the owls and owlets there. They are quite the celebrities and posed beautifully whilst people came and went, some with binoculars, some with cameras, some without but all with open mouthed expressions of wonder at the presence of such visible owls in central London. A young spaniel spotted one of them in the branches high above him and he ran around the base of the tree like a mad thing whilst the owlet looked down with an expression that seemed to say; "You can run around all you like mate, I'm not coming down to play, I'm staying right where I am!" I had an absolute ball, despite the cold, and the only drawback was the limited time I had before work drew me back into its miserable clutches.

I think I might paint some baby owls once the woody is finished.

Mike

Attachments

• avo22a.jpg
    avo22a.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 34
  • avos22b.jpg
    avos22b.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 36
  • snipe22a.jpg
    snipe22a.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 44
  • wol23a.jpg
    wol23a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
  • wol23b.jpg
    wol23b.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 38
The last of the owlets. All the owlets were sketched through a crap little pair of bins I keep at work BTW. Also a wigeon feather I found.

Mike

Attachments

• wol23c.jpg
    wol23c.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 41
  • wigeon-feather.jpg
    wigeon-feather.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I can see some very nice paintings to come from the owlets - fantastic to have them so available like that. Snipe gorgeous - you can never tire of them, ever! The avocets have a lovely rhythm moving through their patterns, even on the resting birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back