• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Your 'water' gets better and better mike.....subtle hightlights on the water to add that little sparkle, add to the detail just enough, fantastic.....

And now the owls.............

superb water, I don't see you having any problems with it. I'd love to have a few redshank round here right now, a proper spring bird and one I haven't seen for way too long.

I keep looking at this Mike and thinking there's something I'd like to change. There's much I like and yet something that holds me back a bit from enjoying it as much as I'd like. Finally today I think I see what it is.

I keep noticing that my eye keeps moving all over the painting, I think because of all the small brushstrokes, especially the ones for the reflections and highlights. I think I'd like to have just one area without them in the painting, so that my eye could sort of rest there. For me it would be the top part of painting, maybe removing the water highlights at top left? But as usual this may be strictly my taste and be completely contrary to your goals.

It is a nice strong painting. I just think this might add something to it and make it even stronger.

Appreciate the honesty Ken. You're right, it's quite tough to stop moving around the pic but, to some extent, I don't mind that, bearing in mind the species. Redshanks move in a very 'birdlike' way when they're feeding like this. It's all pointy and sharp, staccato almost, so the little pointy brushstrokes maybe help to convey that. That is, I admit, post-rationalisation, but it seems valid somehow.

My original intent was simply to provide a setting for a bird portrait that showed the type of habitat that I encounter these birds in in the spring - flooded field edges where the grass still grows and sticks its shoots out through the surface of the standing water along with the larger leaves of dock (I think it's dock).

Moving on to a tawny now, just to make use of my time with the Kensington owls really, and as an excuse to paint another bit of tree!

Despite the major project of laying a new kitchen floor (thanks to 'the foreman' for that little delight!) I have managed to get out a for bit this morning. It's still cold and grey here mostly and this morning the wind took the temperature back to November again but there was plenty going on on the reserve. I spotted an immature peregrine sitting on a slight ridge around half a mile distant and just managed a quickie before he took off and powered up high and far. I kept the scope on him but even so, he was just a speck when I watched him attack a starling (?) that happened by at the wrong time. He missed.

A lovely male kestrel was hopping from post to post, probably after earthworms brought to the surface by the seemingly constant rain we've been having.

The prize for me though was an hour spent watching the male barn owl. At first he was sat on a little tussock with his back to me but after about half an hour of inactivity, (during which time my fingers damn near froze), he got down to some serious hunting. I didn't get out to the hides because I'd spent too long with the barn owl but that didn't matter, I mean when you've got a barnie to watch do you really need anything else?

Mike

Attachments

• 5-4-10-pere.jpg
    5-4-10-pere.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5-4-10-kes.jpg
    5-4-10-kes.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 5-4-10-bo-1.jpg
    5-4-10-bo-1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 5-4-10-bo-2.jpg
    5-4-10-bo-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Then he turned around a bit...

Mike

Attachments

• 5-4-10-bo-3.jpg
    5-4-10-bo-3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 5-4-10-bo-4.jpg
    5-4-10-bo-4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 5-4-10-bo-5.jpg
    5-4-10-bo-5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi Mike, (now I know there's an alternative to Woody!) I love these Barnie sketches. So much life and loads of volume in those shapes. I've not yet attempted birds in flight, well not with any real conviction and these are a joy to behold. Asking how birds in flight are drawn is, I suppose, like asking how Tiger Woods hits a five Iron or how Wayne Rooney controls, turns and shoots (when he's fit, that is)! Looks like a case for an A3 sketchpad and lots of practice this summer. I have a Bhg colony near me so watch this space!

Keep 'em coming.

Russ

These are cracking sketches Mike . I know you can't always have the lovely sun we have up here to keep you warm. You certainly got the floating quality of the flight spot on

The sketches as usual are a pleasure to view, especially the flight sketches. There's often a bit of tentativeness to the lines that I personally like because it rings so true, like the artist actively searching out the outline to get it down on paper, knowing that the bird, and outline, might change at any second.

I'm happy my comments were welcome. I did think along time before writing them because I didn't want to be the one person throwing rain on the parade. And it makes sense what you say. If Redshanks are anything like Yellowlegs then I know their staccato movement. And of course weeds in a field covered by a temporary pond would be just like that, poking up everywhere. So for me anyway I'm happy to understand that motivation for doing things the way that you did.

I can see by the wonderful sketches that you had a good day out, despite the weather! I am always particularly taken by owls looking back at you over their shoulders. Your two sketches of that pose are great and would make neat paintings.

Sid

A day off for an afternoon check-up dentist appointment! I sat in the sun, yes the sun, and drew up a couple of thumbnails for a tawny painting. Number 2 is the winner.

Mike

Attachments

• tawny-thumb-1.jpg
    tawny-thumb-1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 33
  • tawny-thumb-2.jpg
    tawny-thumb-2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 50
A day off for an afternoon check-up dentist appointment! I sat in the sun, yes the sun, and drew up a couple of thumbnails for a tawny painting. Number 2 is the winner.

Mike

Time well and enjoyably spent. It's amazing how such appointments can be a blessing in disguise. Both look like very promising thumbnails to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the painting progress.

looking good, if it were me I think I'd move the owl down and in a bit, you will lose space for framing, and that will put it very near the edge.

those thumbnails just need a wash of watercolour and you've got some ready-made paintings - number two is just gorgeous.

I agree, it would be too tight any closer to the frame, I always paint some 'bleed' though Colleen, too many years in the graphic arts industry not to!

Number two is the one going ahead I think Nick so I'm glad you like it. I did wonder whether it was just too much of a straight portrait for your liking but I'm sort of hoping that the leaf buds will add that extra dimension. As the sun catches them they glow, vivid lime green and cad yellow, like little lamps.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back