• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

wonderful array of avian delights - the avocets, though sorely missed here, are nothing but delightful on the screen - wheatear is spot on, and 'old redpants' really needs to be more cooperative round here.

Turnstones and terns top the list of my favorites, though I'm also partial to the leftmost of the last batch. Is that a wheatear? I'm making a guess based on what others have said.

All in all a great pleasure to see.

Wheatear it is Ken, a female so not quite as striking as the males but a gorgeous bird all the same. They're just back in numbers over the last week or so and lots of them use Elmley as a stop off point for a bit of R&R. There's a particular gate and a particular pile of mud where they seem to hang out regularly and, since they're one of my top ten it's always brilliant to see 'em.

Mike

Bbc Winner !!!!!

As I have more posts in Mike's thread than does he - I'd like to announce he is the BBC Wildlife Magazine Wildlife Artist of the Year - British Birds category winner!
Top Man!!! B :) B :) B :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! What an honor and so deserved, can we see the one that won?

Thanks Colleen, we're having a bit of a party between the three of us at the mo, check out Tim's and Nick's threads as they both have good news too!

'Too late!' is the last painting on my latest blog entry.

Mike

Thanks Colleen, we're having a bit of a party between the three of us at the mo, check out Tim's and Nick's threads as they both have good news too!

'Too late!' is the last painting on my latest blog entry.

Mike

And a well deserved party it is. Dont have any second thoughts about going to work tomorrow now!! It's always so nice when a whole group gets to celebrate.

Thanks Ken.

Night all. Been driving long time today, not to mention traipsing all over gorse infested heath looking for mythical birds...

Mike

Thanks Ken.

Night all. Been driving long time today, not to mention traipsing all over gorse infested heath looking for mythical birds...

Mike
Tsk tsk, when I was doing interpretation panels at Frensham Common - the local name for Dartford Warbler was 'Frensham Sparrows'. You sure you weren't looking for hobbys? ;) ;)

thanks Mike , for the link and the look at this fantastic work...you must be walking on clouds up there with them at this point;)

Thanks Andy, Liam. Still reeling a bit myself!

The New Forest day out was a bit of a disappointment though; No Dartford warbler, no hobbies! The best bird of the day was a redstart, two very brief views but enough to confirm the ID at least. What I did see were fallow deer, something I always feel privileged to see. I got a bad sketch or two to upload tomorrow.

Mike

And another winner!! Well done, Mike, and well deserved (no surprise they chose it -- brilliant, dynamic piece, hats off to you!)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back