• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monocular to pocket binocular migration fail (1 Viewer)

Good to hear from other monocular users. I was very tempted with the DBA VHD model, the only dilemma for me was that the next model down in the 8x42 range, the BGA, was quite a bit smaller.

I wouldn't have that hard choice today as according to the Opticron website, they have discontinued the BGA series as of this month. The replacement WA ED-R 8 x 42 monocular is larger than the BDA VHD, making the top-of-the-range model now also the most compact.

Good to hear from other monocular users. I was very tempted with the DBA VHD model, the only dilemma for me was that the next model down in the 8x42 range, the BGA, was quite a bit smaller.

I wouldn't have that hard choice today as according to the Opticron website, they have discontinued the BGA series as of this month. The replacement WA ED-R 8 x 42 monocular is larger than the BDA VHD, making the top-of-the-range model now also the most compact.
Also still making the DBA VHD+ Monocular the Top Dog, if you want that dog you will have to pony up some coin. If one just looks thru the DBA VHD+ first, the choice will be a lot easier.

Also still making the DBA VHD+ Monocular the Top Dog, if you want that dog you will have to pony up some coin. If one just looks thru the DBA VHD+ first, the choice will be a lot easier.
The DBA VHD+ 8x42 is about the only monocular I have tried that compares to the optics of the alpha roofs. It is even better than the Leica Monovid 8x20. Of course, the much bigger aperture 42 mm helps! It is like comparing a full 8x42 alpha binocular to an 8x20 Ultravid. The Leica Monovid 8x20 is like 1/2 of an Ultravid 8x20, though. It is a good little monocular, but it should be for $500!

The DBA VHD+ 8x42 is about the only monocular I have tried that compares to the optics of the alpha roofs. It is even better than the Leica Monovid 8x20. Of course, the much bigger aperture 42 mm helps! It is like comparing a full 8x42 alpha binocular to an 8x20 Ultravid. The Leica Monovid 8x20 is like 1/2 of an Ultravid 8x20, though. It is a good little monocular, but it should be for $500!
When I was using a monocular, I just found the 20 and 25mm versions to be to uncomfortable to use with their limited eye relief. Since the smaller size did not matter, the Opticron was the only and best choice. It would be great if Opticron could produce a 12x42 or 12x50mm DBA VHD + version. I know these would not be appealing to the Birding crowd for obvious reasons but I think these would be great for people who like to look at other types of Outdoor Wildlife, along with sea observers to other land/sky observations.

When I was using a monocular, I just found the 20 and 25mm versions to be to uncomfortable to use with their limited eye relief. Since the smaller size did not matter, the Opticron was the only and best choice. It would be great if Opticron could produce a 12x42 or 12x50mm DBA VHD + version. I know these would not be appealing to the Birding crowd for obvious reasons but I think these would be great for people who like to look at other types of Outdoor Wildlife, along with sea observers to other land/sky observations.
Yes, I think a higher magnification would be useful also. It would be like having a small spotting scope, but since a monocular is harder to hold steady than a binocular, a 12x42 or12x50 would probably be too hard to steady without some kind of support. I think 8x42 is the sweet spot also.

Good choice with the opticron, Ive had the 10x version for a good few years for when I'm out and about and don't want to carry anything substantial. You can get some surprisingly good images with them once you've figured out a stable hold.

I bought the BGA 8x42 before all old-new stock was exhausted. The 42mm objective certainly helps with the view, but it's way too bulky so I keep it in the car. I like the exposed metal rather than rubber construction. My EDC is an incredibly tiny Nikon 5x15 High Grade.

The DBA VHD, WP Mono and Gallery scopes are the only Opticron monoculars still made in Japan, all the others are now made in China.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back