• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most embarassing omissions from your list half way through the year (1 Viewer)

Another new species reported for the first time ever, here on BF??!!

(To go along with the Porthgwarra Stint reported in Cornwall only a few days ago . . .)

;)

my thoughts too Dan, though Scrub Redstart is often considered conspecific with either the skulking Ditch Redstart, or the more omnivorous Scrap Redstart under these circumstances ;)

I'm not going to have a lot of birding time between now and Jan, so it looks likely I'm going to miss some stinkers... grey plover, hen harrier, water rail, red-breasted merganser spring to mind.

A few summer ones never got found, such as yellow wagtail, and I only ever got heard-only cuckoo and grasshopper warbler :(

Still don't have Bald Eagle for my Bigby list (it's on my regular year list). I only have one or two more chances to get it before I drive down to Florida for the holidays, thus ending the Bigby list for 2008.

Also, not so much embarassed as annoyed that I've missed Lapland Longspur for the past few years. I searched for them when I went to see the Smith's Longspurs :)t:) in Stuttgart last Feb, but no luck. Again, this weekend is my last chance for this species for the year. It would be an Arkansas lifer if I can find it.

American Bittern, Sora, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Caspian Tern, Forster's Tern, Great Horned Owl, and Brown Creeper.

I've now seen all of these birds except Forster's Tern (which I have missed for the year again!) and Brown Creeper, which I still have a chance of finding.

Dave

Also, not so much embarassed as annoyed that I've missed Lapland Longspur for the past few years. I searched for them when I went to see the Smith's Longspurs :)t:) in Stuttgart last Feb, but no luck. Again, this weekend is my last chance for this species for the year. It would be an Arkansas lifer if I can find it.

No sooner do I say that than I find some Lapland Longspurs! Hurray!

Embarassing!

Black-crowned Night Heron
Even though I would seen them quite regularly in a certain spot,
they roosted there and as I walked past they would flush
Not this year!
Darrell

Missed this thread until now.

Currently on 250 for the year. Missed Nightingale, Stone Curlew & Wood Warbler in the spring/summer, all of which i would normally expect to see.

Also i'm a bit gutted i didn't catch up with a Pallas Warbler this year (would be a lifer), despite checking what seemed like thousands of Goldcrests at Wells in October, and then it was too dark to see the showy one at Burnham later in the day.

Still haven't seen LS Woody, Bewicks or Whooper Swan and Jack Snipe this year, although plans are place for all of them in the next 15 days!! RL Buzzard & Crane are also a distinct possibility before the end of the year.

Not embarrased about anything!!

Mike

Seen 256 sp this year thus far and missing Woodcock, Bar Tailed Godwit, Little Tern, Spoonbill, Bittern, Firecrest, Crane, Montagu's Harrier, Stone Curlew, Nightjar, Twite, Parakeet, Shore Lark & Little Auk

Seen 256 sp this year thus far and missing Woodcock, Bar Tailed Godwit, Little Tern, Spoonbill, Bittern, Firecrest, Crane, Montagu's Harrier, Stone Curlew, Nightjar, Twite, Parakeet, Shore Lark & Little Auk

If you end up stuck for woodcock and nightjar on your 09 list too give me a shout - there's a site near me where you're pretty much guaranteed both at the right time of year. I got great views of nightjar there in the summer (not that I'm rubbing it in or owt ;) ).

Still haven't seen Barrow's Goldeneye this year and as they can be seen for 8-9 months of the year only 45 minutes away I can blame myself for being lazy. I also didn't see Brünnich's Guillemot for the first time this millenium (didn't visit a bird cliff) or Red Phalarope or Snowy Owl. What did I actually do this summer?

If you end up stuck for woodcock and nightjar on your 09 list too give me a shout - there's a site near me where you're pretty much guaranteed both at the right time of year. I got great views of nightjar there in the summer (not that I'm rubbing it in or owt ;) ).

Cheers for the offer Pete but we have some pretty alright nightjar spots to the north in the north yorks forests and south on Humberhead levels im just lazy and forgot to go see em.

There are a few that I've missed out on this year, though I'm more annoyed than embarrassed about missing them: Great Horned Owl, Upland Sandpiper, Great Egret, Wilson's Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Lapland Longspur...maybe if I post this publicly I'll find a longspur before the end of the year too! |:d|

I was going to start a thread like this. Luckily, I finally found my most embarrassing missing bird last week (not telling what it was) but I still need snipe and treecreeper. Apparently treecreepers are common and easy to find in my local park...

Well, I got a snipe almost straight after posting this back in July, but the other took somewhat longer. I'm proud to say that today, on a Boxing Day walk in Windsor Great Park, I finally picked up my first treecreeper of the year. Better late than never, I suppose.

I'm going to the Wye Valley for New Year, where they're ten-a-penny. I bet I see hundreds on New Year's Eve, and not one on New Year's Day.

I finally made a bit of effort to see Barrow's Goldeneye today, although the ice-free conditions meant that only six birds were present. I think that's it for the year.

Also saw Humpback Whale locally on Sunday, which would be a year tick if I kept a mammal year list.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back