• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Binocular Bargains Thread (13 Viewers)

Curio 7x21 on amazon for $735. Seller is "6ave" no idea if theyre reputable or why the bins are so cheap

I just bought a Swaro 25-50 eyepiece from them for $569, which sells elsewhere for $799. It is clearly marked as grey market and no US warranty. To their credit they weren't hiding it, though they "forgot" to mention it on the ad.

If anyone in the UK is interested in the outstanding NL Pure 10x42's then this is an absolute bargain.

Last edited:
Just a caution ⚠️

Bought three new bins from 6th ave, all three used with fingerprints all over glass and one with sand on the focuser.

Cameraland has the worst customer service with a floating return policy depending on the sales person. Worst retailer Ive ever dealt with in 30 years.

So here is something you don't often see, firstly it's the bl version of the ultravid - rare in itself but this one actually appears to have been used to look at birds with which is even rarer! Judging by the state of the paintwork it might have a decent list to it's name too.

Last edited:
Just a caution ⚠️

Bought three new bins from 6th ave, all three used with fingerprints all over glass and one with sand on the focuser.

Cameraland has the worst customer service with a floating return policy depending on the sales person. Worst retailer Ive ever dealt with in 30 years.

My cameraland experience was different and positive. I’ve bought three binoculars from cameraland in the last few years. First was an open box kowa genesis 8.5x44 that arrived indistinguishable from new. Next was a new kowa genesis 8.5x44 that arrived and was indeed new. No problems with either so no experience with after sales customer service. The third Bino was a zeiss fl sold as demo. It arrived short some accessories. Phoned and told them I was returning them. I paid for shipping which was fine by me. When the refund took longer than I’d expected I called and they immediately refunded the full purchase price.

Fwiw, when I bought a bunch of items at b&h, including something the salesman pushed but that I then learned simply wasn’t needed or useful and returned them, getting the refund took longer and more phone calls. And even though I hadn’t opened the box for the item I returned and explained I’d bought because salesman pushed it but wasn’t necessary, they took ten percent off the refund.

Personally I’d rather buy from cameraland than b&h but that’s just me and I don’t buy a lot of new optics anyway.

Jeff

My cameraland experience was different and positive. I’ve bought three binoculars from cameraland in the last few years. First was an open box kowa genesis 8.5x44 that arrived indistinguishable from new. Next was a new kowa genesis 8.5x44 that arrived and was indeed new. No problems with either so no experience with after sales customer service. The third Bino was a zeiss fl sold as demo. It arrived short some accessories. Phoned and told them I was returning them. I paid for shipping which was fine by me. When the refund took longer than I’d expected I called and they immediately refunded the full purchase price.

Fwiw, when I bought a bunch of items at b&h, including something the salesman pushed but that I then learned simply wasn’t needed or useful and returned them, getting the refund took longer and more phone calls. And even though I hadn’t opened the box for the item I returned and explained I’d bought because salesman pushed it but wasn’t necessary, they took ten percent off the refund.

Personally I’d rather buy from cameraland than b&h but that’s just me and I don’t buy a lot of new optics anyway.

Jeff

I’m glad you had a few good experiences with them, I think you were lucky. Let’s lose sight over the fact that a company has to have some good sales or they’d go out of business (although I’m pretty sure they’re on their way out). After I posted my experience a while back, I’ve had communication with over a dozen people who’ve done business there and had issues.

If you heard the conversations that I had with the reps returning two defective binoculars , you’d fall off your chair.

Paul

Last edited:
Both my Cameraland and B&H experiences have been excellent. Like any anecdotal report on BF, that's not a statistically relevant survey, and only demonstrates that not everyone's experience has been the same. YMMV!

Jeff, any relation with the owner?
Now that's an insult to Jeff, and anyone else who claims to have had good results from CameraLand (as I have). This is like so many other exchanges here, where some say company L or Z's service is great and others terrible, with no way to gather accurate statistics. Except most people don't imply that it's so bad they're about to go out of business. Any relationship to the owner's mother-in-law?

I didn’t mean it in a derogatory manner and no disrespect intended. I know the owners name is Jeff and was wondering about it. I’ll edit my post.

I know we’ve all had issues over time with buying goods from retailers and some doozies of complaints. I myself had issues with other venders , I just never ran into the kind of customer service that I dealt with here. And the main point was the deceitful nature and that others who have reached out to me with similar experiences with this company. This store is 20 minutes from me, it’s in a small strip mall where it’s located , I'm in the area a couple of times a month and get coffer next door. The place is empty every time I’m there. As it was the three to four times I was in the store trying to return defective binoculars and to get a refund.

I’m just sharing my experience to possibly save someone some grief. But as we’ve seen others have had some good experiences as well.

I’m actually the jeff who in oct 2022 bought a pair of kowa genesis 8x33 glasses from you here on bird forum. The binoculars were as you had described them.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I’m sorry if I came off the wrong way. We’ve talked a couple of times since you bought those Kowa’s in texts about our hobby. 🙏

I think we even discussed this topic once before.

Peace
Paul 👊🏻

I actually had really good purchase experiences with CameralandNY, Focuscamera, and 6ave, and B&H. Both B&H and 6ave ship literally immediately. And best of all I can order online impulsively with any of the above before I've had a chance to reconsider!

Last edited:
I have held off responding to this topic about cameralandny, it’s actually the only online store I have had a problem with over the years located in NY. Only one time, have not dealt with them since ….. I ordered a expensive pair of binoculars, cancelled the order a few minutes later and I mean less than 5 min. I got a cancellation verification/name of the salesperson who supposedly who would cancel (it had not been shipped) my order. It was shipped anyway. When I called on the phone complaining about that order they shipped, the pair of binoculars that they say said was cancelled I got the owner. When I asked why they shipped it, he said that person the salesperson who took my order had no record of my call. I had cancelled the order because I changed my mind about the magnification I originally chose. So I got stuck for shipping both ways, to and back from me. I remember it was about $45 total. I was even going to reorder another pair with the correct magnification and asked them if they would credit me for the shipping on another order, they said no. To this day it still pisses me off. It’s not so much the $45 loss but I got the impression from my discussion on the phone afterwards that they just wanted the sale and did not care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back