• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new binocular wishes 2023 (2 Viewers)

A2GG

Beth
United States
I posted a similar thread last year: new binocular wishes for 2022

What we wished for did not come true. But, we did see the Z SFL which was a big surprise.

Will we have better luck in 2023 ?

hope to see in 2023 at least one of these:

Leica Noctivid 32
new Zeiss Conquest
Swaro CL 40
new Kowa Genesis
high quality Vortex 32 (missing in their catalog)
GPO Passion HD 32
new Meopta Meostar

Can't think of anything else of interest at the moment.

Last edited:
I would like to see a new high quality porro offering, center focus in the 6.5x, 8x, 10x flavors from any good manufacturer. I asked Vortex about building something like this and they pretty much said that the market would not support it, and that it goes against their biz model of making tough and durable optics.

Also a pocket from vortex. I would something to be able to just throw in my pocket and not worry about. Something like an 8x25 viper pocket as their 8x28 diamondback is not truly pocketable nor very good optically.

Along those lines I would love to see an "alpha" reverse porro like the old B&L/bushnell "elite" 7x26.

A wide angle (~10°+) 7x50 to fill the market niche between vintage Japanese binos and the the $6k Nikon WX (although this would be more useful for astronomy I would love one as a dedicated owling glass)

I posted a similar thread last year: new binocular wishes for 2022

What we wished for did not come true. But, we did see the Z SFL 40 which was a big surprise.

Will we have better luck in 2023 ?

hope to see in 2023 at least one of these:

Leica Noctivid 32
new Zeiss Conquest
Swaro CL 40
new Kowa Genesis
GPO Passion HD 32
new Meopta Meostar

Can't think of anything else of interest at the moment.
Plus:

Zeiss SFL30

Lee

A Zeiss 10x50, maybe an SFL 10x50 (I just love my new 8x40). Or failing that, a Meopta MeoStar B1+ 10x50.
The current and possibly future offerings from Swarovski are just too expensive and for various reasons I do not consider the UVHD+ an option.

A cheaper and smaller Zeiss IS bino.

£6000 for the massive 20x60 is not very marketable. But apparently the tech and glass works extremely well.

Dear Santa,

I subscribe to most of what @A2GG included on her original list. Very well thought out.

- More pocket reverse Porros.
Maybe I'd include a contemporary/updated compact 7x reverse porro. Maybe an update on the much lauded 7x26 Custom, but in 7x21, to give the Swarovski Curio a run for their money. Or simply Nikon taking the cheap and cheerful 7x20 CF III and giving it a new life.

- More small IS
A new Canon IS that fits between the x20 IS and the x32 IS series but reaches to new audiences. Maybe a waterproof 8x25 aimed at field use (and abuse). Say, a compact version of their 10x42 L.

On that same line, the Nikon 10x25 being offered in 8x25, or even in 8x20 with an even smaller size/weight.

- THE ultimate 7x30
I'd love Z/L/S/N to be brave enough to follow the apparent success of the 7x21 curio and offer a really lightweight and compact 7x30 CL/UV/SFL/M7

I think that would do it for me :)

I'd like to see a 7x35 habicht in ga and leatherette versions with around 140m fov and big enough prisms with small enough baffles so we don't need to talk about glare! No big swaro logo in the bridge would make it even better.

I think the probability of the binos in my list are low. It’s been year after year with no new version of Kowa Genesis. The Meostar had only some tweaking over the years sending the message they aren’t going to work on a brand new version. Vortex makes it clear they have no interest in a premium 32mm, sadly. Leica always takes their sweet time and there may not be a Noctivid 32 in the works at all. Swarovski may be satisfied with their lineup as it is. Zeiss has been working on their SF lines and it seems conquest is not a priority.

I wish there were more high quality/premium choices in the 32mm format.

Leica Noctivid 32
new Zeiss Conquest
Swaro CL 40
new Kowa Genesis
GPO Passion HD 32
new Meopta Meostar

I would like to see a new high quality porro offering, center focus in the 6.5x, 8x, 10x flavors from any good manufacturer. I asked Vortex about building something like this and they pretty much said that the market would not support it, and that it goes against their biz model of making tough and durable optics.
That’s funny, because Vortex doesn’t make binoculars that are tough and durable, nice glass but not tough and durable. 😝✌🏼

That’s funny, because Vortex doesn’t make binoculars that are tough and durable, nice glass but not tough and durable. 😝✌🏼
LOL
but I assume the Razor UHD is their best built bino ? I haven’t had a chance to look through one. It’s too heavy for me anyway.

LOL
but I assume the Razor UHD is their best built bino ? I haven’t had a chance to look through one. It’s too heavy for me anyway.
I’ve had the pleasure to use and test most of them. UHD is Vortex’s best optics and MIJ. But the body and build quality is the same as their lower lines. If you care for them they’ll hold up, but any serious hard use and you’ll need to repair of replace every few years. Good thing Vortex will accommodate those repairs and replacements. I will say that the UHD optically really is not much of an improvement over the Razor. Although the UHD has AK and the HD doesn’t the light transmission is almost the same and the HD is lighter and more compact. I prefer the HD.

Ill ad to the wish list, a Vortex Razor 7x30.

Happy Holidays.

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back