• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nat'l Geo Field Guide coming out (1 Viewer)

Hmm. I had noticed the listing on Amazon, but hadn't read the editorial reviews. Subspecies maps would be very nice, but migration ranges are pretty much the expectation now. Hopefully there will be more improvements than that, such as redoing more of the plates (the 5th edition fixed some, but not all of the plates that had bothered me in the prior edition).

........Nat Geo is not one of my favorite guides, but I am sure I will be ordering one!

I my case, National Geographic has been my favorite FG since the first edition. I have probably owned all of them, certainly four of the five. So it's clear I'm going to get this one. In fact, I just pre-ordered it. That's not to say that other North American FGs do not fill my bookshelf as well. But they definitely have lower priority, and I don't feel the urge to have the latest editions as I have with the National Geographic FG. I just hope the size of the new edition does not increase any further, except for getting a bit thicker of course.

I see it has 72 more pages and 200 new illustrations compared to the 5th edition plus a new layout/design - whatever that means! It might even be time to upgrade my third edition, but with a dozen American field guides already on the shelves and little prospect of getting there anytime soon that would be an indulgence .....

I, too, have always loved the National Geographic Guides. Every time plates are re-done, they are done superbly. With all the new art figures, and with subspecies maps including migration routes, I am thinking it is going to make David Sibley have to come out with another edition of his wonderful guide :) Field guide wars!

I must admit I've only got the 3rd edition which, as someone used to European guides was 'strange' ( although vastly superior to my 1st American guide - the 'Golden' one.) The pages I've seen from the new edition appear to be a huge improvement but the passerines still have that 'Disneyesque', 'cute' look caused by completely circular eyes that I find slightly offputting. I'm afraid I'll be sticking with my Sibley.

Chris

I do find myself turning to Sibley for tough id's (sparrows, gulls, etc), but I find the National Geographic a useful reference, especially if you want help on Iding rare species, etc. The subspecies maps alone should be worth the investment of the latest edition.

Here's an interview with Jonathan Alderfer and a preview of some new plates and maps from the 6th edition.

Looks interesting. Although I have to wonder about its increased size.

Thanks for this interesting link! As for the size increase, if Amazon has the true data listed, the book would only be a little bit (less than 3 mm) thicker. At least for me, that would be within an acceptable range.

I usually use Sibley now, but this new edition may change my behavior. At any rate, I am looking forward to it.

I just finished going through the new one page-by-page and comparing the plates to the previous edition. I'm hoping to post a detailed list of changes tomorrow.

Does sound like I need to purchase this one as well ... (my old trusted 3rd edition might go on to someone else -- maybe).

Niels

So any thoughts anyone?

In addition to my own (posted earlier), here are two additional early reports by Birdbooker Report and Joseph Morlan.

I haven't had time to delve into it any deeper yet (and have other books that I need to review first). This is a significant update and it is a definite improvement over the previous edition. If you don't have the 5th edition, I would say you should get it. If you do, then that's a tougher call.

Thanks Grant. I had read your earlier replies and was looking on your site to see if you had any further comments! I do own the 5th and it is not my favorite field guide normally, but I seem to have a field guide addiction! Had googled to find reviews earlier this afternoon and came up with none, so thanks for the links to the other 2. Guess I will have to head to Barnes & Noble tomorrow to see if they have it & give it a look over.

So any thoughts anyone?

Got mine today, and here are a few thoughts. I must say first that I own the previous edition as well, and that NG is my usual FG whenever I have a chance to visit North America.

Ok, I can't say that I'm all excited, but I sure like the over all solid update. One reason that I'm not all that excited is the fact that this book has become bulkier again. And while it does not seem like much, those roughly 70 extra pages definitely show. The weight (a crucial point in a FG) has increased from 780 grams to 880 grams.

There are two main features that make this book a must-have-bought for me. The first one is the additional information given in the range maps. And that includes the fact that a fair number of species has got a range map for the first time here. In particular, one gets a much better idea just how far from the border those accidental or rare Mexican species are regulars, and the same holds for Siberia. And the included migration ranges are great as well. It's interesting, by the way, to compare the range maps for the European Collared Dove in the two editions. Quite a fast range extension here, similar to what had happened in Europe in the last century.

The second major new feature are the field mark annotations added to the illustrations. Basically like in the Collins/Svensson FG for Europe. Again, most welcome indeed. Unfortunately, this latter feature necessitated some reduction in the size of most illustrations. Mostly, that's not really a problem, but in some cases, the reduction or the rearrangement of the illustrations has led to a less than intuitive recognition of which parts belong together. Cases in point are page 265 where Band-tailed and Rock Pigeon are not clearly separated in my opinion. Actually, a reduction in size of the head-on flight illustration of the Rock Pigeon would have remedied the situation here. On page 229, one illustration of the adult Glaucous-wingedxWestern Gull hybrid looks like it could belong to the Western. Sure, no big thing, and quite often the additional pages have been used to take apart those previously crowded pages. However, often, that would seem like an unnecessary spreading out to me, considering the increase in weight and thickness of the book. Some species' illustrations got a bit too small now, like the Anhinga.

There are many new illustrations, but mostly these are flight illustrations added to the unchanged main illustrations. Some most welcome major revisions are notable. The Fulmar now looks like the real thing. Others have also been mentioned previously. Hitting the colors right is always an issue in these editions. This time, at least the shelducks and the Egyptian Goose on page 49 are too red. I think there are others, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with many species to be certain. Thus, I'd like someone to confirm or negate my feeling that the thrushes on page 399 are too reddish or rather have too much orange.
On the rearranged picture of the juvenile Hook-billed Kite (page 127) it would seem like the bird is about to fall backwards.

Finally, what's the use of including long-extinct species like the Great Auk, the Passenger Pigeon, and the Carolina Parakeet in a FG? It's a different matter in cases where there might still be some hope that the species would be rediscovered, like in the case of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Extinct species

Finally, what's the use of including long-extinct species like the Great Auk, the Passenger Pigeon, and the Carolina Parakeet in a FG? It's a different matter in cases where there might still be some hope that the species would be rediscovered, like in the case of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.
Only about a page in total of the accidentals/extinct species section is devoted to brief accounts of EX species, so it doesn't add significant weight or clutter. And this might be the only reference book on birds that many North Americans ever purchase...

Ivory-billed Woodpecker still gets full treatment in the main section - probably too much trouble to change the plate design, and still officially CR anyway. But Eskimo Curlew and Bachman's Warbler (CR(PE)) only have brief accounts in the accidentals/extinct species section.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back