• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nat'l Geo Field Guide coming out (1 Viewer)

I have finally received my copy of the new version, my second copy after having used 3rd edition for years. So far it looks good, but I want to comment that I do not like the cut-out in the pages to provide access to different parts of the book. The same could have been done with coloring on the edge of the page similar to what is done in the Sasol/Princeton book for Southern Africa, and I would estimate they could have cut 5 mm/ 1/5 inch from the width of the book if they had chosen colors. Would have made it easier to stuff in a pocket and saved some weight.

Niels

......I would estimate they could have cut 5 mm/ 1/5 inch from the width of the book if they had chosen colors. Would have made it easier to stuff in a pocket and saved some weight.

Niels

I fully agree with you. It's actually more like a full centimeter that was added because of the cut-outs. That cut-out thing started with the fifth edition when the book gained the same basic format as the present edition. The Quick-Find-Index was a new feature in the fourth edition. And I think that is a much more useful and precise thing than those few cut-outs. I use it all the time, and I have started to make my own such indices for other FGs in the meantime. Like for the Panama FG: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194298&highlight=panama
and for the new (second ed.) Svensson/Collins FG for Europe: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=197741&highlight=quick+find+index
I also made one for the German edition of the Svensson.

Last edited:
I actually like the cut outs...I don't use the guide often enough to remember exactly what color would correspond to what group, so seeing the names is helpful. Bear in mind that I generally use Nat Geo as a desk or backup reference, so Eastern/Western Sibley is my field book of choice.

. ...
Still not ready to give up my 2nd ed. though....

I think it would be worthwhile now. I have probably bought all editions, mainly to be updated with the names and splits. I don't have that much exposure to the area that it would seep in anyway.

cut-outs

I'm presently using the NG FG more again, as I'm preparing for an upcoming trip. And I finally figured out why these cut-outs irritate me so much. The increase in size is certainly one factor, but one I don't consciously realize.

However, the cut-outs impair easy leafing through the book. Like when I have found a particular page in the index that I want to open, I often kind of get stuck at one of the cut-outs. And it's even worse when I'm close to the desired page. Very often that cut-out nearby gets in the way of my (admittedly somewhat clumsy) fingers.

Robert, I am using my 6th ed at the moment as I am in S Texas. As opposed to you, I am starting to warm (a little) to the idea of the cut outs. Yes, they do add a little in weight to the book, but knowing where to find those confusing sparrows in a hurry does have a value.

Regarding thumbing, I am trying to think about where on the book (high or low) to place my finger depending on where I expect to find the bird.

Niels

Regarding thumbing, I am trying to think about where on the book (high or low) to place my finger depending on where I expect to find the bird. Niels

Niels,
Fighter pilots call it 'cockpit familiarisation'! Rather like getting used to the position of a new car's controls...:t::-O
MJB

Niels,
Fighter pilots call it 'cockpit familiarisation'! Rather like getting used to the position of a new car's controls...:t::-O
MJB

As I much prefer the finer info I can get from the Quick-Find-Index, familiarizing myself with the "crude controls" so to speak, is of rather limited value in my case. I guess fighter pilots need a finer type of familarization as well for their jets. :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back