• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

You would get THREE bars of soap that way! Who all has pre-ordered the NL as of today. I am curious how many could be in front of me in the queue. I love that little velveteen bag you get with the head rest and the little wrench for taking it off. That is COOL!

Depends how big their brown envelope was, compared to yours, when you pre ordered and offered a little gift incentive to your dealer! Dont start fretting or loosing sleep that you'll miss out first time round.
Told you to back up with an 8 x 32 SF, just in case. Wont be long before their hitting the retailers... just Stay Calm.

Depends how big their brown envelope was, compared to yours, when you pre ordered and offered a little gift incentive to your dealer! Dont start fretting or loosing sleep that you'll miss out first time round.
Told you to back up with an 8 x 32 SF, just in case. Wont be long before their hitting the retailers... just Stay Calm.
I am curious if the SF or the NL will hit the market first. I am betting the NL.

Which one would be the most popular? I pre-ordered the 10x42. I am used to the 10x with the Zeiss I have now so I think I would miss that little bit extra oomph in magnification.

With the larger FOV, the 10x look interesting. I'll bet it will be popular.

A bit sad that Swaro dropped the 8.5x mag though.

Which bins would be favored if the FOV was the same? Assuming all FOVs were cut to, say equivalent to the ELs - which pair would everyone prefer?

Zeiss SF
Swaro EL
NL Pure
Noctived

The NL:s are most likely the final binoculars. There will never be any better binoculars. Ever.

o:)o:D

I'm among those who is pleased to see a new alpha without an open bridge. Not really sure what it was doing there in the first place.
I briefly owned EL 10s and SF 10s which were both great. The SFs fit my hands better than anything I had used before, but I regularly thought they would be slightly better if that hinge was gone.
I just bought the SFs in June, then traded them in for a pre-order for NL 10s.

You would get THREE bars of soap that way! You might have enough soap to take a bath with it. Just imagine soaking in that genuine Swarovski soap with the NL in hand looking at your toes!

Good luck with that Dennis considering it's a 2m close focus. Be sure to tell us how it works out. No pictures though please!:t:

Good luck with that Dennis considering it's a 2m close focus. Be sure to tell us how it works out. No pictures though please!:t:

But this is Dennis, the min focus distance may be 2m but he can easily focus down to 1m with his left eye whilst seeing to infinity with his right eye |<|

Is the soap scented?
No but I've heard that it contains proprietary micro-crystals that not only sparkle attractively but also provide optimal abrasion.

Which one would be the most popular? I pre-ordered the 10x42. I am used to the 10x with the Zeiss I have now so I think I would miss that little bit extra oomph in magnification.
10x is usually most popular overall (if not among birders) and also my own preference but I have to say the 12x is an exciting possibility also, with the FOV of most 10x.

Which bins would be favored if the FOV was the same? Assuming all FOVs were cut to, say equivalent to the ELs - which pair would everyone prefer?
The answer would probably vary, involving very different ergonomics, as well as how much one cares about slight differences in sharpness/distortion around the field edge. That said, if cost is no object I agree with Dennis, the NL sounds stunning and I would certainly want to try it before buying any of the others now.

I have the SV, UVHD 12X50 and I use them under the night sky. The NL 12X42 might have a wider FOV, but it does not have the aperture to reach further in those conditions. In my opinion the 12X42 was made for hunters, though it would be a nice glass for the daytime along the shore etc., but not a low light glass.

Andy W.

The NL:s are most likely the final binoculars. There will never be any better binoculars. Ever.

o:)o:D
"The NL:s are most likely the final binoculars. There will never be any better binoculars. Ever."

Never say never! I thought that when Swarovski introduced the EL Swarovision now the NL comes along and blows it in the ditch!

I agree the 12x42 NL was not designed for astronomy but it would be perfect for hunters and birders looking for a little more reach with the head rest helping to stabilize them. In astronomy aperture is everything when you are observing faint objects. The NL 12x42 would give you nice WF views of the night sky though with its big FOV and flat field and sharp edges.

Last edited:
I agree the 12x42 NL was not designed for astronomy
In astronomy aperture is everything when you are observing faint objects.

I actually think 12x42 is a very exciting spec for astronomy. Things in the night sky tend to be tiny...
Magnification beats aperture when it comes to seeing 'more'.
For faint objects, within a range of reasonable exit pupil sizes, contrast beats everything else.

I actually think 12x42 is a very exciting spec for astronomy. Things in the night sky tend to be tiny...
Magnification beats aperture when it comes to seeing 'more'.
For faint objects, within a range of reasonable exit pupil sizes, contrast beats everything else.
I think the NL 12x42 would be a pretty good binocular for astronomy also but as Dries said it will not compete with the 12x50. The bigger aperture will go deeper into the night sky revealing much fainter objects with higher limiting magnitudes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back