• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie questions.....Monarch ATB or X or LX L (2 Viewers)

Ronh,

It's scheduled to arrive .... TOMORROW!

Actually, I'm so excited I think I'm pre-disposed to LOVE it!

Thanks, I thought my question about a flat view, DOF and rolling ball might be a dummy question - but figured as a newbie I could get away with it! LOL!

BTW - I was born in Albuquerque and still have relatives there. Love NM. You're lucky to live there!

I think I would prefer a bin that has the center viewing area appear "flat" with a nice depth of field (DOF). How does this relate to rolling ball?

DOF is pretty much fixed by the magnification. Perceived DOF seems to be related to focusing speed.

Rolling ball is controlled by the amount of pincushion distortion (deliberately) added in the optical design. It is independent of flatness of the field.

DOF is pretty much fixed by the magnification. Perceived DOF seems to be related to focusing speed.

Rolling ball is controlled by the amount of pincushion distortion (deliberately) added in the optical design. It is independent of flatness of the field.

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying this for me!

This information is really helpful! If I had noticed the effect - I would have wondered if it was me or the bins, due to my inexperience. Also, I didn't realize that people can adapt to the rolling ball effect. So I would have given up on the bins right away if I noticed it! Thanks!

I believe I have 30 days to return the LX L for full refund... They are already with Fed Ex on their way to me!

I'm familiar with CA from my photography pursuits. But in photography, I can fix the CA with software! I guess, like photography, CA is worst when there is strong back lighting?

Any other tips on how to check out the Monarch X (trade demos) and the LX L's (refurb) when they arrive?

Karen

Hi Karen,

I've used an 8x32 LX L (refurb) for two years and find it to be absolutely exquisite. The "globe effect," which is the perception that the view is rolling over, has been shown to result from an insufficient amount of pincushion distortion. The LX L, however, has a sufficient amount, which can easily be seen by viewing a vertical object and moving it to the periphery, where it gently bends outward at the top and bottom. Your fortunate selection is being disparaged for no good reason along these lines.

I can't help but adding, for those who incessantly refer to "rolling ball" as a property of the binocular, that it is not. It is a unwelcome perception that some observers sometimes experience under some circumstances — namely visual panning. Unfortunately, the pejorative term "rolling ball" has been applied indiscriminately to any nausea inducing visual-motion scenario, of which there are many, and most of which have nothing to do with the globe effect.

Some folks also accuse the LX L of having excessive CA, which is a basic color aberration. Actually I seriously doubt that it does, unless we can believe that for some strange reason Nikon failed to minimize chromatic aberration in the basic design of its top optic (at the time). No, the fact that only a few people consistently report seeing serious color fringing, suggests that the fault probably lies with their atypical color perception or how it interacts with the coatings. Hopefully, like me, you are not one of them.

Anyway, in my opinion you made an excellent choice, and I hope that you enjoy the LX L as much as I do. Incidentally, optics that have been refurbished at the Nikon factory have the added advantage of being hand-tuned to perfection.

Happy birding,
Ed

PS. Just noticed ronh and Kevin's posts, which are right on! :t:

Last edited:
Rolling ball is a property of both the bin and the user. It depends on how much pincushion distortion the bin adds and the how much (intrinsic) barrel distortion the human observer has. The real issue is when the bin is undercorrected with respect to the user (in bins that go for a low K value in their design).

But it is a property of the bin. If you get a k=0 (or even a k=0.5 bin) bin you will see rolling ball effects even though the astronomers will be delighted that all the angles are exactly as they expect.

Though in most cases bin makers over-correct (add too much pincushion) to make sure the maximum number of people don't experience rolling ball but those that don't have much barrel distortion will complain of too much pincushion but it isn't as objectionable as rolling ball.

Try searching for Holger Merlitz and rolling globe both on the forum and on the web for more details.

That said it is another example of trying bins out and finding the match to you: either ergonomically or visually. Especially as you get closer to the top end things like focus rate, amount of pincushion, amount of lateral and longitudinal CA, balance and feel of the bin matter more than brand.

Bins are really personal tools and should be selected as such. The problem for the new bin user is often not quite knowing what to look for and how to trust their feelings: I suspect either intuitive folks ("Oh no, I don't like that one") or those that build up a lot of experience have the best time with their choices.

I suspect (from seeing folks in the field and knowing some good birders) that some people get to Nikon Monarch level and are very happy with that price/performance trade off.

Not really, Kevin. The globe effect is the observer's perceptual response, not a property of the binoculars. Distortion and other aberrations are properties of the binocular. Holger's theory establishes a psychophysical function between distortion and the globe effect, and like all psychophysical functions it varies from individual to individual. That, incidentally, is why he so often suggests having an instrument with user-controlled distortion.

Ed

Last edited:
...Some folks also accuse the LX L of having excessive CA, which is a basic color aberration. Actually I seriously doubt that it does, unless we can believe that for some strange reason Nikon failed to minimize chromatic aberration in the basic design of its top optic (at the time). No, the fact that only a few people consistently report seeing serious color fringing, suggests that the fault probably lies with their atypical color perception or how it interacts with the coatings. Hopefully, like me, you are not one of them....

I think I must be one of those folks. All I can say is that the 8x32 LX L, along with some other expensive binoculars using similar designs, have done rather poorly compared to other binoculars, when I tested them for lateral CA using a graduated CA target. In these binoculars lateral color begins close to the center of the field, even when the eye's pupil is well centered, and is easily induced at the very center with slight pupil displacement. It's still a mystery to me where the extra lateral color is coming from. These designs all have a few characteristics in common. They use roof prisms, complex objectives including focusing elements with wide air spacing and lack ED glass.

Clearly, not everybody notices or cares.

I think I must be one of those folks. All I can say is that the 8x32 LX L, along with some other expensive binoculars using similar designs, have done rather poorly compared to other binoculars, when I tested them for lateral CA using a graduated CA target. In these binoculars lateral color begins close to the center of the field, even when the eye's pupil is well centered, and is easily induced at the very center with slight pupil displacement. It's still a mystery to me where the extra lateral color is coming from. These designs all have a few characteristics in common. They use roof prisms, complex objectives including focusing elements with wide air spacing and lack ED glass.

Clearly, not everybody notices or cares.

I'm in your crowd. The 8x32 LX/HG displays terrible CA for me, even when I center the binocular carefully. Good centering eliminates CA in my Ultravid except in the most extreme viewing conditions, and it eliminates CA nearly 100% in some other bins. Then of course the LX has that very fast focus, which I hate, but I've said that here umpteen times.

Karen,
You are now experiencing what we are our very best at, demons at work on your mind. Happens to all of us every time we admit to ordering anything, promise. A couple of the most respected guys have now come out in strong support of, and expressing serious doubts about, your choice. That's pretty good, actually.

I would expect less color issues in the 42mm than in the 32mm, everything else being equal. But, less pincushion = more rolling ball, ha!

One more little piece of fatherly advice (I'm only 60, naathing for this place, does that qualify me?). If you are truly a new binocular user, no matter what model you start with, its going to seem kind of strange at first, and there will be plenty to get used to. Building your skill set is of far greater importance than the model of the binocular.

I think it's sort of the same way when people start riding motorcycles. The sexy pizzaz, flash, noise, and thrills that are promised by "your" chosen cool machine are suddenly overwhelmed by the fundamental issues of not falling over at low speed in the parking lot, and picking lines around curves that end neither in the ditch nor in the incoming traffic lane.
Ron

Last edited:
Karen

If I were you, I'd drop reading this thread until you have had some time with your new Nikon. You asked your question received answers and made a choice. What you are now seeing is just how deeply personal binocular choice is. Get too deep into worrying about CA and rolling ball and you may well doom your choice. If either CA or RB is going to bother you it will happen real quick and you won't need to look for it, it will find you. You ordered a great optical instrument. Take it from the box and use it with that expectation.

Last edited:
Hi Karen,

I've used an 8x32 LX L (refurb) for two years and find it to be absolutely exquisite. The "globe effect," which is the perception that the view is rolling over, has been shown to result from an insufficient amount of pincushion distortion. The LX L, however, has a sufficient amount, which can easily be seen by viewing a vertical object and moving it to the periphery, where it gently bends outward at the top and bottom. Your fortunate selection is being disparaged for no good reason along these lines.

I can't help but adding, for those who incessantly refer to "rolling ball" as a property of the binocular, that it is not. It is a unwelcome perception that some observers sometimes experience under some circumstances — namely visual panning. Unfortunately, the pejorative term "rolling ball" has been applied indiscriminately to any nausea inducing visual-motion scenario, of which there are many, and most of which have nothing to do with the globe effect.

Some folks also accuse the LX L of having excessive CA, which is a basic color aberration. Actually I seriously doubt that it does, unless we can believe that for some strange reason Nikon failed to minimize chromatic aberration in the basic design of its top optic (at the time). No, the fact that only a few people consistently report seeing serious color fringing, suggests that the fault probably lies with their atypical color perception or how it interacts with the coatings. Hopefully, like me, you are not one of them.

Anyway, in my opinion you made an excellent choice, and I hope that you enjoy the LX L as much as I do. Incidentally, optics that have been refurbished at the Nikon factory have the added advantage of being hand-tuned to perfection.

Happy birding,
Ed

PS. Just noticed ronh and Kevin's posts, which are right on! :t:

Ed,

A few corrections. First, the FULL SIZED LXL's DO have "rolling ball" or as Holger refers to it, "the globe effect". (even experts don't always agree on terminology)

At this point, I can't believe you are even questioning this since it's been so widely reported. Before you quote Henry's adage, "repetition does not mean verification," it's not just a "few people" but many people who see "rolling ball" in the LX/LX L over the years, and this raises it well above the status of "rumor".

I had the 10x42 LXL and it displayed the same amount of "rolling ball" as the 10x42 LX. Nikon did not add pincushion to the full sized LXLs, I don't know where you got that idea, what they did do is change the glass from lead to lead free, change the bias of the coatings to make the image look brighter, and significantly reduce the weight (on the full sized models, only about an ounce difference in the LX/LXL midsized models). Other than a name change and perhaps an upgrade to the coatings, nothing appears to have changed on the LXL since it was introduced but its name (first Premier LXL an then just "Premier").

Henry once reported that the full sized LX/LXLs seemed to even have barrel distortion added, which would put it on the other end of the spectrum from bins such as the 8x30 EII and the Zen Ray 7x36 ED2, which have a lot of added pincushion.

The reason you and others don't see "rolling ball" in the 8x32 model is that Nikon did add some pincushion to the midsized models, as I mentioned earlier. Compare them side to side as I have done on a telephone pole and a power line, and you should see the difference.

Why Nikon designed the midsized models differently is unknown, perhaps the wider FOV of the 8x32 and 10x32 models required it, but whatever the reason, the difference is visible to those who can see "rolling ball" in the full sized models.

The midsized LX/LXLs still have some "rolling ball," but not enough to bother me, however, one BF member reported that the 8x32 LX had too much 'rolling ball' for him, and he sold it because of that. So tolerance to "rolling ball" can vary considerably in those who see it.

Second, "rolling ball" IS a measurable property of some binoculars, and those of us who "incessantly refer to 'rolling ball' as a property of the binocular" are correct.

Holger Merlitz's report clearly shows this, and I'm sure you've read his report, so your statement puzzles me.

http://holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion.html

Holger also showed whether not you can see "rolling ball" (aka "the globe effect") in binoculars with no or low pincushion depends on how much pincushion you have in your own eyes, as I also mentioned earlier.

Third, while admittedly the word "rolling ball" may have been "applied indiscriminately to any nausea inducing visual-motion scenario" by some people, for example, excessive pincushion also creates a scrolling effect while panning, which some people call "rolling ball," the term is being properly applied in regard to the full sized LXLs.

Fourth, "Rolling ball" is a real property of the lenses created by the lack of pincushion to correct the curved image of optical lenses. That's why optics designers add pincushion to the lenses of bins used for terrestrial observing. You know that, so again, your statement is puzzling.

The reason they didn't add pincushion in the full sized LX/L, as you explained, is to get the maximum edge sharpness. However, that wasn't really necessary as the more user friendly designed EDG proves.

With the EDG, panning is smooth with no "rolling ball," and yet the image is still sharp to about 85% toward the edge. The LXL is sharp to about 95%, BUT the EDG has a wider FOV, so proportionally, they have close to the same "sweet spot".

As far your statement: No, the fact that only a few people consistently report seeing serious color fringing, suggests that the fault probably lies with their atypical color perception or how it interacts with the coatings.

How can you be sure YOUR eyes aren't the atypical ones?

I've been reading about the LX/LXL for quite awhile now, over a decade in the case of the LX, and I can attest that there are more than just "a few people" who have reported being bothered by the amount of CA in the LX/LX Ls. I don't have time to dig out all those references, but for those who want to do the homework, it's there to be found. Not just users' comments but also reviewers'.

I'm not sure if the higher than average CA in the LX/LX L series has be shown objectively, but implying that it's due to "a few people's" "atypical" eyes is speculation on your part. Measuring CA is tricky, but according to Henry, it can be done, however, I'm not sure if he has ever measured the degree of CA in the LX/LX L series.

One possible explanation is that due to Nikon's red biased coatings, and the silver prism coatings on the LX/LXL, reds are not only more vivid in the LX/LX L image but also in the CA. IOW, it might not be a matter that "Nikon failed to minimize chromatic aberration in the basic design of its top optic" but rather in maximizing its top optic's color saturation, it inadvertently made the CA more apparent to those who are sensitive to it.

Looking at the color fringing in my Nikon binoculars, the red side of the fringe is always more obvious than the green side, because our eyes are more sensitive to red than green. In high contrast situations, I move my target a bit off axis so the more obvious red fringed side is minimized.

Purposely looking for CA in every bin you try can sensitize one's eyes to it, so as you recommended to Karen, just use your binoculars as you normally would and if CA shows up, well that just means that you are in the majority of people who see what is actually there. How we got by all these years without ED glass is a wonder. :)

I just wanted to correct those misstatements, not only because your comments sounded a bit too dismissive to those of us who are able to see "rolling ball" and CA in bins, and in particular, the LX/LX L series, but also to assure Karen that if she sees these things herself, she shouldn't feel as if she is seeing something "fanciful" but that "rolling ball" and CA are real traits that can be measured in binoculars.

Brock

Last edited:
Ed,

As far your statement: No, the fact that only a few people consistently report seeing serious color fringing, suggests that the fault probably lies with their atypical color perception or how it interacts with the coatings.

How can you be sure YOUR eyes aren't the atypical ones?

Brock

Brock,

The problem is that almost everybody thinks their eyes and tastes are typical. Nobody seems willing to even think about whether or not their quest for edge sharpness, or lack of sensitivity to CA, perception of "rolling ball", or whatever "IT" is, is anything but "normal". Whatever the tase is on an individual level is, it is individual, nothing more or less.

I have the feeling that the incessant clamoring for absolute edge sharpness finally pushed Swarovski over the edge to produce an absolutely flat edge. As a result they have produced a binocular that may well be far more unusable (due to rolling ball) to many more people that would have been a problem with a little pincushion at the edge. I for one, just for example, would really like to know just how many people actually are bothered by edge sharpness. Is this a sample of 5% of the people making 95% of the noise (the squeaky wheel gets the grease) or how close to a 50-50 split exists. Or to go a bit further how many people are CA sensitive, or affected by rolling ball?

Brock,

The problem is that almost everybody thinks their eyes and tastes are typical. Nobody seems willing to even think about whether or not their quest for edge sharpness, or lack of sensitivity to CA, perception of "rolling ball", or whatever "IT" is, is anything but "normal". Whatever the tase is on an individual level is, it is individual, nothing more or less.

I have the feeling that the incessant clamoring for absolute edge sharpness finally pushed Swarovski over the edge to produce an absolutely flat edge. As a result they have produced a binocular that may well be far more unusable (due to rolling ball) to many more people that would have been a problem with a little pincushion at the edge. I for one, just for example, would really like to know just how many people actually are bothered by edge sharpness. Is this a sample of 5% of the people making 95% of the noise (the squeaky wheel gets the grease) or how close to a 50-50 split exists. Or to go a bit further how many people are CA sensitive, or affected by rolling ball?

I'm not assuming that you're trying to start a poll, but here goes:

I do a LOT of birding, and edge sharpness is relatively unimportant to me, as long as the binocular has a large sweet spot. When I'm birding I rarely use the edges of the field. That may change as my eyes age and my vision changes. As Pileatus has noted, edge sharpness in the SV has provided him a degree of comfort in the overall view. The same may be true for me some day, but it is not presently.

I don't think I'm overly sensitive to CA. As I stated above, I can reduce it dramatically or even eliminate it under extreme viewing conditions most of the time. I've said in other threads that I think a lot of people would notice CA less if they centered their bins and looked straight through them. Nevertheless, the LX series has always seemed to me to exhibit more CA than other high-end bins. Others don't see it in the LX, and that's great, because in many ways the LX/HG series is fantastic, and the prices on refurbished bins at EO right now are among the biggest binocular bargains in a decade.

As for rolling ball, my reaction is mixed. I don't often pan with binoculars, and the ones I use have enough pincushion distortion to minimize the effect for me. However, Jerry (jgraider) noted somewhere on BF that the SV induced nausea or some other unpleasantness in him. (At least I think it was Jerry. Correct me if I'm wrong.) I have had only brief experience with the SV, so I shouldn't comment. But I can say that when I panned with it, it had a similar effect on me, and it was instantaneous. I feel like I need to spend more time with it, but I may be one of those people for whom globe effect can be challenging.

I do agree that everybody's response to every binocular is going to be different.

Last edited:
I gave my well-used Ultravid to a family member because Swarovski finally produced exactly what I wanted: a binocular with extremely low CA and a sharp image across the field of view. The Swarovision is a phenomenal accomplishment.

Yes it is provided the rolling ball effect doesn't bother you. If it does it is a pretty great dissapointment. Again, individual preference is the rule. Just because the SV EL made me seasick I don't expect it to affect everybody. I will not condemn it, nor will I ever give it any praise. At least you have the option to exchange for a SLC HD.

Great thread, and all the more proof that each of us want something different in a binocular, and we all see these differences in various ways.

It's all in the using and enjoying. So, use and enjoy!

Sorry folks, but I'm going off topic because I think Brock will look here.

Brock, I can't answer your PM because your message box is full.

Thank you. Now back to CA, edge sharpness, rolling ball, etc.

Sorry folks, but I'm going off topic because I think Brock will look here.

Brock, I can't answer your PM because your message box is full.

Thank you. Now back to CA, edge sharpness, rolling ball, etc.

Henry,

Thanks. My last PM apparently filled up my box, funny that it didn't tell me that. I made some space, it's "open" now.

Brock

This dispute about Nikon's CA is quite old and the oldest analysis I know of comments favorably about the ability of the Nikon HG to control CA. This analysis was done by Kimmo Absetz as far back as April 2003 in ALULA. It is in the paragraph on COLOR RENDITION. CA is "very low." (And overall better than the 8 x 32 EL.)

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_7_nikonHG_swaro32EL_GB.shtml

You will find the same conclusion in his comments one year later on the Nikon 10 x 32 HG and the 10 x 42 SE. See link below.

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_8_Leicaultravid_GB.shtml The comments can be found in the paragraph discussing the binoculars.

Has the reputed excessive CA in Nikon Top of the line binoculars become an "optics legend" over the years?

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back