• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG 8x30 dissection (5 Viewers)

I don't find the build / focus quality quite as far behind alphas as Beth perhaps does, I think it's pretty good and mine is holding up really well despite a ton of use (ie, anodizing/metal parts maintaining color, armor not peeling or patina-ing, eyecups and focuser still flawless).
I mentioned recently about the excellent body armor on the MHG. I’ve been using mine for over 2 years. The rubber armor on the body doesn’t show any fingerprints or smudges, doesn’t attract dust, no spots look worn on the body and no peeling. It still looks almost new. IMO the rubber armor is high quality.

It’s only the rubber over the focus wheel that failed on my bino (came off completely). I still keep using it this way. I still have to buy a second binocular. I’d like to give the SFL 8x30 a try.

Even the new M7 8x30 are so good. I own the HG 8x42 and wanted to like the HG 8x30 but sadly I couldn’t get a pleasant view without blackouts. Now that the new M7 8x30 we’re out I tried them and can’t be happier. Perfect view, nice and sharp and not a lot to give up compared to the HG 8x42, especially for about 350€. I‘m really looking forward to the recently announced M7+ 8x30.
I've heard the "M7+" mentioned on these forums before (is Nikon borrowing names from Leica now?). What is the M7+ supposed to be? It is ED glass? I see that already mentioned on Nikon's website for the M7, and it also a "miracle non-stick coating."

I added the "miracle" part from a TV commercial for the 100% Non-Stick Miracle Grill. Call in the next 10 minutes, and we will send you a free non-stick spatula with your purchase! So, call now, our operators are standing by. :)

Brock

the "+"-version has field flatteners.
Thanks, I just read that on another post that mentioned that. The FF's will improve the edges, though even the 8x30 HG isn't sharp to the edge. In fact, Arek from Allbinos wrote that he thought the FFs on the 8x30 HG was Nikon's idea of a joke! Allbinos does like sharp edges and awards points accordingly.

I tried the 8x30 M7. I liked the ergonomics, but the edges were very fuzzy, which was most noticeable while panning since my eyes tend to dart ahead to the edges in the direction I'm panning. It also had showed a lot of flaring anywhere near the sun. At the time that issue was attributed to some shiny surface near the objectives that Nikon didn't paint, but if it was that simple, you'd think they would have fixed the problem by now, however, dorubird's 8x30 HG vs. 8x30 M7 comparison shows Nikon hasn't fixed that problem.

This must mean a price increase for the M7+. How much more are they priced in Europe than the M7?

It also makes me wonder if they hike the price on the M7+, that could cut into the sales of the 8x30 HG if it's too close. Which makes me wonder if they will increase the price of the HG since Nikon no longer has its top of the line EDG binoculars?

I think the EDG binoculars are great, had the 8x42 and now have the 8x32, and I've tried the 10x42 for a week.

Given Nikon's financial problems, I don't see it making an EDG III anytime soon. So, what more can the company do to the HG series to make it compete with the Teutonic Alphas, if anything? IOW, what would an HG+ look like?

Brock
For situations like these, I gave up the fantastic E2 8x30 in favor of MHG 8x30.
View attachment 1492586
View attachment 1492587

After the snow melted, the binoculars became very wet everywhere, but without having any sealing problems
View attachment 1492588
Great photography. Nikon should hire you!

Gijs said he used his 8x30 E2 in the Alps without problems, and there's the recent post about using desiccant to fog proof the E2, but the HG looks like its snow friendly.

I don't do much birding in the winter because most of the colorful birds have flown south (except the Cardinal and Bluebird). Robins are also around, but they are harder to find. Last winter I saw a female belted Kingfisher fishing in the stream in the nearby park, so I was glad I brought my binoculars along with me (Cabela 8x32 Guide). The only time I took my binoculars out when snow was coming down was when I heard an owl hooting at night. Iy was a Great Horned Owl likely looking to pick off a rabbit at night. Spotted it with a Nikon 10x42 LX.

I went birding yesterday on the mountain ridge, and though I brought my 8x32 EDG, I could have bought an SE or E2 since the temperature was in the low 50s (F). Today, Feb. 15, it was 67* F! Except for the Christmas Bomb Cyclone, winter has yet to come to central Pennsylvania.

Again, a picture in the field from a photo bird session!
20230303_154403.jpg
The compact shape, the large field of view, extremely comfortable eyepieces for me, clarity on the center, bright, solid and resistant... I think these reasons are enough for MHG 8x30 to be the most use binoculars for me...
Ahh, and beautiful! :D

I've now had my MHG 8x30 for very near 5 years. It is still in very good condition (armor impeccable, anodizing near perfect, focuser and eyecups as good as new). Just guessing but I probably use it about 100 days / year, and it rides around in backpacks and bicycle saddle bags a lot. Sometimes in it's case, sometimes just wrapped up in a piece of clothing. It has passed the durability test with flying colors. It's still a fantastic bin and I still love it.

BUT, I've just in the past few days gotten an 8x30 SFL and it already is clear that the SFL is basically the same binocular but better in almost every way (better stray light control, sharper, more natural color, brighter at twilight, better control of chromatic aberration). So I feel that my MHG will probably languish in a drawer and/or end up being sold at some point as the SFL is everything I love about the MHG, only better. I will though miss the metal + leatherette aesthetic of the MHG, it is fairly unique in this day and age and I quite like it.

Yes, MHG 8x30 is extremely beautiful and extremely durable binoculars despite the delicate finish. Here is a sample of beauty:
MHG 8x30.JPG
In relation to the comparison with SFL 8x30, Canip also made a detailed comparison, from which we draw the conclusion that MHG and SFL are very similar in terms of overall optical performance. Of course, each pair of binoculars has small advantages and small disadvantages, but overall they are extremely similar. Whatever we choose is not wrong, being very subjective!
{{ cont'd }}

The Zeiss SFL 8x30 compared with select current 8x30/8x32 roof binoculars

PART 2: Brief side-by-side comparisons

Comparison 3: Zeiss SFL 8x30 and Nikon MHG 8x30

How small is too small ? Early reviews of the SFL have occasionally mentioned that the users with large hands might find the SFL almost too small to find comfortable holding positions. The Nikon MHG, as the Leica UV HD+, is even a bit smaller than the SFL; it is hard for me, with relatively small hands, to say whether either of them is too small for large hands. I find good holding positions for both.

Nikon sure knows how to make good binoculars (just think of the WX). The limited success of the EDG line has less to do with performance limitations and more with a less than ideal marketing strategy (and perhaps a bit with the “VW Phaeton Experience” – if the price is the same as for a Mercedes, your car can be better than the rest of the market, people will buy the Mercedes and not the VW).

Leaving the WX aside, the MHG line is now Nikon’s top line after the end of the EDGs, and my personal opinion is that the MHG are a clear “step down” form the EDG level, both mechanically and optically (just compare a Monarch HG 8x30 with the EDG 8x32). This does not mean that the MHG is not a fine binocular in its own right. It is! But it’s performance is in line with its price (and this was also true for the EDG).

Mechanically, I have not found a significant flaw with the SFL. I find the diopter adjustment of the MHG (below the right eyepiece) a bit fiddly; locking and unlocking is not a very precise operation, and if you want to unlock, you first have to twist the eyecup out by one clickstop. Then, the diopter adjustment itself works fine.

Otherwise, mechanics are good on the MHG. Focusing is precise and almost as smooth as on the SFL; close focus is almost as good as on the SFL, focusing speed almost identical.

There is not as much eye relief as on the SFL, but still plenty for most situations. The FOV is a bit wider in the MHG, but not by much, and you only recognize it side-by-side. Ease of view is quite similar in my eyes.

The image in the MHG is clearly warmer for my eyes than in the SFL, but not to a degree that color fidelity would be compromised; many people will probably only see it when comparing side-by.-side.

CA is low and comparable in both binos; stray-light control is equally good, the MHG may exhibit the occasional slight reflection in certain situations. On the other hand, spikes on bright light sources, recognizable but not bothersome in the SFL, are absent in the MHG.

I found central sharpness and contrast again very similar. Edge sharpness: with the “unfair” advantage of flattening lenses, the MHG is better, although I have to say that I found the sweet spot in the SFL quite wide, and together with its excellent panning behaviour, I actually prefer the image in the non-flatfield SFL.

To also consider when choosing between the two: the SFL costs roughly 40% more than the MHG.

Personal verdict in a nutshell:

• Size and weight are comparable, the MHG is slightly smaller
  • Ease of view is comparable
  • FOV is slightly wider in the MHG, but not by much
  • Central sharpness and contrast are comparable, edge sharpness is better in the MHG
  • Panning is more comfortable in the SFL
  • Image brightness is comparable, the image tone a bit warmer in the MHG
  • CA correction and stray-light control are comparable
  • Usable eye relief is sufficient in the MHG, the SFL has even more
  • Diopter adjustment is a bit fiddly on the MHG

fwiw Canip

View attachment 1501554

Last edited:
I had also read Canip's review, and others, and expected there to be perhaps less difference between the two. With the caveat that I've only had mine for a couple of days, and that of course sample variation is at play with all of these types of end-user reviews, I haven't found them to be quite as similar as Canip thus far. Tentatively, I find stray light control and chromatic aberration control seem notably better in the SFL (on axis CA particularly). I also find the ease of eye placement notably better with the SFL. Last night my partner and I went for an evening walk and spent quite a bit of time swapping back and forth between the SFL and MHG, including watching some perched Buzzards silhouetted against the setting sun, some passerines in the understory, and watching Swifts overhead in the evening light. The difference in brightness was noticeable but not a tremendous difference. However as the lighting conditions got more difficult the difference in contrast and CA control seemed readily noticeable. My partner noticed the differences as well, particularly with the backlit Buzzards. I do notice, thus far, that the SFL has more field curvature than the MHG but it hasn't bothered me yet. In good light without glare or CA-inducing high contrast the differences seem less obvious. But I want to keep using both before forming any definitive opinions :)

I had a MHG 8x30...I liked the binocular....I even liked the 'look'....but I thought the ergonomics of it were not strong enough for my liking. I never felt like I just 'had to hold it'....or "I can't put it down'; as I have with my Leica Retro, Trini or Ultravid....the Meostar or even my Opticrons.... For me, Nikon should have put more thought into the ergonomics/feel.... Maybe a locking diopter, perhaps better armor... Not sure, but it was a great bin, but just 'missed it' for me.

Among my binoculars, this Nikon HG 8x30 is ideal for birding when I carrying other tools with me and I don't want to carry bigger binoculars, without sacrificing optical and mechanical quality. It is very convenient to look through it with glasses, having access to the entire visual field of view (big 8.3° )
P9162996.JPG

Last edited:
No doubt...that is here the Nikon MHG fits....right in that bag of tools you have when the going is light and you need to best. Perfect fit... Not what I would call my everyday bin, but surely one for hiking, backpacking...touring around etc... when the emphasis is on lightness and weight , size etc

and...you want something a bit better than the $500-600 brands.

This binocular is for me one of the most beautiful roof binoculars on the market. From my point of view, it has even more beautiful design than Leica Ultravid 8x32 (which is also a beauty). At its length of only 12cm (not mm ;) thx seawatcher ) it is almost a jewel. The good part does not stop only at his appearance, but also tactile. His armor imitates leather even to the touch, being very velvety. The mechanics of this binocular are also impeccable (top class)
HG MONARCH.JPG
Also, using HG 8x30 is very relaxing for me...contrasting but balanced colors with an enormous real field of view that has acceptable clarity up to the edges. Yes, there is a difference in clarity between the optical center and the edges of the FOV, but it is very subtle without attracting your attention in a negative way, being able to resolve enough details well on the last 20% of the FOV. In no way the same as the old Monarch 7 8x30, whose edges are very blurred, unusable, without resolved details. I pointed this out in another topic where I compared these two binoculars, and I repeat it as often as I have the opportunity, because the injustice spread by some reviews. This HG is the cinderella of the 8x30 class

Last edited:
This binocular is for me one of the most beautiful roof binoculars on the market. From my point of view, it has even more beautiful design than Leica Ultravid 8x32 (which is also a beauty). At its length of only 12mm it is almost a jewel. The good part does not stop only at his appearance, but also tactile. His armor imitates leather even to the touch, being very velvety. The mechanics of this binocular are also impeccable (top class)
View attachment 1573815
Also, using HG 8x30 is very relaxing for me...contrasting but balanced colors with an enormous real field of view that has acceptable clarity up to the edges. Yes, there is a difference in clarity between the optical center and the edges of the FOV, but it is very subtle without attracting your attention in a negative way, being able to resolve enough details well on the last 20% of the FOV. In no way the same as the old Monarch 7 8x30, whose edges are very blurred, unusable, without resolved details. I pointed this out in another topic where I compared these two binoculars, and I repeat it as often as I have the opportunity, because the injustice spread by some reviews. This HG is the cinderella of the 8x30 class
I just measured mine, and the length is 12 cm (centimetres) and not 12 mm (millimetres) ;) Great binoculars, no complaints other than that the focusser is stiffer than I would like. Top optics in their price class!

I really like the look of these, your photos are excellent as well. I've heard mixed reviews of them optically but I think there one of the best looking binoculars around. Field of view sounds very good too. I think in some ways they seem to be reviewed with one eye on them as an edg successor and a downrated accordingly unfortunately.
This is well said, I’ve felt the same way for a while. I think part of the reason is we expect the company to improve their newer models and not take a step down in the model line up (alpha to sub alpha). In this case there are some things that can be considered improvements in the MHG over the EDG, the larger FOV (albeit with softer less corrected edge) they’re brighter and lighter. I would’ve liked to have seen the MHG being the HG replacement and then come out with a newer version EDG, maybe an EDG+ or EDG WF, with a brighter and larger FOV. I find these MHG’s wonderful glass with excellent and unique fit and finish. I’ve used all the MHG configurations and currently have the 8x42 (a keeper) and although I really like the 32’s I had some eye box issues I couldn’t get past.

I just measured mine, and the length is 12 cm (centimetres) and not 12 mm (millimetres) ;) Great binoculars, no complaints other than that the focusser is stiffer than I would like. Top optics in their price class!
I’ve had a few (two) specimens with some less than stellar focusers, sent one to Nikon and it was replaced , the other was gritty and heavy. But after using well over a half dozen of these MHG’s, I can assure you a subpar focuser is the exception to the rule here. Most had light , buttery smooth focusers and are just delightful to use. All things combined , imo these are the top of the line in this supper mid level $1000 range.

Yes, EDG is even better, but that doesn't mean that HG mechanics aren't also among the best, compared to other big brands. On the contrary, HG mechanics is in a much higher class than its price might suggest. The focuser in my sample has a nice smooth movement. The movement of the hinges is firm and with perfect collimation even after years of use. Very robust mechanics! The finishes are almost luxurious.

The thread that won’t die. I just sold pair because the eyecups were too short. They don’t screw out so I couldn’t lengthen them. The focus wheel is a weak point in my option. I love my 10x42s but both have a sticky stiff wheel. My Maven B3s have screw out eyecups, a smooth focus wheel and better build all around. They also are made in Japan and cost about half of the HGs. The HGs have slightly better optics. But for the life of me I can’t understand how the Nikons can have a worse build quality for double the price. Just my opinion but if you put the two side by side I doubt anyone would say the HG was as well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back