• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optical comparison of the 8X42 NL Pure to the 8.5X42 EL SV (1 Viewer)

SuperDuty

United States
For those who have compared the two, other than field of view, do you see a distinct advantage for the NL pure in optical quality ?

For those who have compared the two, other than field of view, do you see a distinct advantage for the NL pure in optical quality ?
Andreas said it best.
Ill ad the NL is an EL with a larger FOV , slightly easier edge with some ergonomic changes. Or you could say the EL is an NL with a smaller FOV with a perfect edge to edge image , with a more comfortable eye box 😁

The big improvements are the huge FOV and the transparency of the NL compared to the EL. The NL 10x42 has a 7.6 degree FOV compared to the 6.4 degree FOV of the EL, and that is a huge difference in how immersive the binocular feels. The transparency of the NL is astonishing. It feels like you are not looking through any glass. There really is no comparison and once you are used to the NL it is hard to go back to the EL. Also, there is a little less RB in the NL than the EL, if that bothers you. Panning is easier because there is less RB also.

Last edited:
Exactly. I noticed that right off with the NL. It is better than even the SF. It is like there is no glass in the binocular. It is at another level. The transparency is better than any other binocular I have tried.
I’ve had them side by side with multiple people trading back and forth. There is no debating the increase in field of view, the transparency it’s not really that much difference optically , it’s more the field of view is adding to the perceived transparency. Also the EL is an 8.5x so the exit pupil is smaller and the FOV is also smaller than if it was an 8x. The more immersive feeling is because the field flattener isn’t as flat as the EL. But optically there’s not much that separates these two. It’s more perception than an actuAl optical bump up. Like Andreas said an EL II. I’m not saying that if somebody offered to give me one I wouldn’t choose the NL , I would, but I wouldn’t go anywhere near $1000 more for NL when ELβ€˜s are now around $2200.

I have both. The 8x42NL Pure and the newest Verstion of the EL 8x5x42.
In direct Comparsion most of the times the NL Pure is better overal. Also the Effect with the transparency i can see. I dont think it is because the NL have a bigger FOV. I think it is another sort of glass, or some fine differences in the Coatings. This transparency Effect i can see at all Binos in the NL Series. I like it very much.
The EL 8x5x42 have a other Distoration Curve, and in some Situations i like this. As Well in some Light Situations (very Bright Light) the EL SV works extreme sharp, because the colouration is a bit cooler. In Lights between Shaddow and Clouds the NL works a bit brighter, or it is... More EP....
This are both extreme nice Bions. When i would have one of this I would choose the NL. But also the EL hat its Entitlement for me.

The biggest difference between the EL and NL, besides the field of view, is the color rendering.
The NL looks a bit more saturated, it's more in the direction of the SLC 8x56.
Maybe it's a bit more color neutral, I only notice a difference in brightness in a direct comparison and it's rather marginal.

For me, the EL has clear advantages in terms of ergonomics, all the bulges in the NL don't fit my hands, the "insight" is noticeably better with eyeglasses in the EL and overall the workmanship seems more robust.

Of course everyone has to decide for themselves whether the advantages of the NL justify a 1000 dollar difference, for me it is a clear no.

Andreas

I own the EL 8.5x42 but have only tried the NL Pure in a store (Cabela's). I'll fully admit, it's the worst place to look through a pair of bins but...it is what it is. My first impressions are, just like everyone else, there's a noticeable difference in FOV. Did it blow my mind? I mean, not in the store but I'm sure outside in nature it's amazing. Secondly it was really just handling and ergonomics of the binocular. I actually liked the feel of the NL in my hands. I feel like the curves just kind of sit in the crook of my thumb and forefinger and they rest there easily. It certainly feels like I could hold them for longer. Other thing I noticed was the focus wheel. I did like the feel of the focus wheel better on the NL. It sits a tad more forward and felt like a more natural position for my finger to go to. Then it didn't seem to have the "two tone" feel of the EL (focuser on the EL feels difference turning from clockwise/counterclockwise).

Worth a $1,000 upgrade?....maybe. Depends on your financial situation. If ~$2,300 is a stretch (which it was for me) then throw on another $1,000....does that matter to you? If yes, stick with the EL. They are fantastic for that price. If you shrug at another grand out of pocket, go for the NL. You'll be confident you have the very best you can buy.

I’ve had them side by side with multiple people trading back and forth. There is no debating the increase in field of view, the transparency it’s not really that much difference optically , it’s more the field of view is adding to the perceived transparency. Also the EL is an 8.5x so the exit pupil is smaller and the FOV is also smaller than if it was an 8x. The more immersive feeling is because the field flattener isn’t as flat as the EL. But optically there’s not much that separates these two. It’s more perception than an actuAl optical bump up. Like Andreas said an EL II. I’m not saying that if somebody offered to give me one I wouldn’t choose the NL , I would, but I wouldn’t go anywhere near $1000 more for NL when ELβ€˜s are now around $2200.
I would and did because I LOVE a big FOV that is sharp to the edge. The bigger, the better. I would carry a WX like Holger if it didn't weigh 5 pounds. (And cost $6K.)

Last edited:
The biggest difference between the EL and NL, besides the field of view, is the color rendering.
The NL looks a bit more saturated, it's more in the direction of the SLC 8x56.
Maybe it's a bit more color neutral, I only notice a difference in brightness in a direct comparison and it's rather marginal.

For me, the EL has clear advantages in terms of ergonomics, all the bulges in the NL don't fit my hands, the "insight" is noticeably better with eyeglasses in the EL and overall the workmanship seems more robust.

Of course everyone has to decide for themselves whether the advantages of the NL justify a 1000 dollar difference, for me it is a clear no.

Andreas
I prefer the ergonomics of the NL over the EL. I love the contoured barrels. It is like they were molded to fit your hands. Also, both my NL's have a much smoother and better focuser than any EL I have ever had. A big improvement IMO. The NL is also slightly brighter than the EL. The transmission must be a little higher.

I have both. The 8x42NL Pure and the newest Verstion of the EL 8x5x42.
In direct Comparsion most of the times the NL Pure is better overal. Also the Effect with the transparency i can see. I dont think it is because the NL have a bigger FOV. I think it is another sort of glass, or some fine differences in the Coatings. This transparency Effect i can see at all Binos in the NL Series. I like it very much.
The EL 8x5x42 have a other Distoration Curve, and in some Situations i like this. As Well in some Light Situations (very Bright Light) the EL SV works extreme sharp, because the colouration is a bit cooler. In Lights between Shaddow and Clouds the NL works a bit brighter, or it is... More EP....
This are both extreme nice Bions. When i would have one of this I would choose the NL. But also the EL hat its Entitlement for me.
I think you are correct that the NL has different glass or improved coatings than the EL. The transparency is a step up from the EL. Like Robert above, the transparency improvement of the NL versus the EL was the first thing I noticed when I tried the NL. Swarovski did something with either the glass or the coatings on the NL. They did change the coatings because transmission improved over the EL.

Last edited:
If you have a SV in any format, no need for the NL. I have the SVs from 32 to 50, and have the NL 8x42. The NL is the least used. I use my SLC, Noctivid, and EDG more in 42. I am keeping the SVs noctivids EDGs and my SLCs.
It depends upon how much you value and like the bigger FOV of the NL. For some people it is not a big deal, but for others it is huge. It comes down to personal preference. Do you like a bigger FOV or not?

Last edited:
I own the EL 8.5x42 but have only tried the NL Pure in a store (Cabela's). I'll fully admit, it's the worst place to look through a pair of bins but...it is what it is. My first impressions are, just like everyone else, there's a noticeable difference in FOV. Did it blow my mind? I mean, not in the store but I'm sure outside in nature it's amazing. Secondly it was really just handling and ergonomics of the binocular. I actually liked the feel of the NL in my hands. I feel like the curves just kind of sit in the crook of my thumb and forefinger and they rest there easily. It certainly feels like I could hold them for longer. Other thing I noticed was the focus wheel. I did like the feel of the focus wheel better on the NL. It sits a tad more forward and felt like a more natural position for my finger to go to. Then it didn't seem to have the "two tone" feel of the EL (focuser on the EL feels difference turning from clockwise/counterclockwise).

Worth a $1,000 upgrade?....maybe. Depends on your financial situation. If ~$2,300 is a stretch (which it was for me) then throw on another $1,000....does that matter to you? If yes, stick with the EL. They are fantastic for that price. If you shrug at another grand out of pocket, go for the NL. You'll be confident you have the very best you can buy.
I agree with everything you said. If you are spending $2300 anyway what is another $1000 for the best and if you look around you can find the NL for less. Many people sell them LNIB for $2500 and less.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back