• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Roof 8x42 range (1 Viewer)

gzoladz

Hi - I am in the market for an 8x42 roof pair for birding. Due to the excellent reviews and apparent value they have, they will be an Opticron.

I have checked their website and downloaded the catalogue and they have lots of models...what can be a bit mind boggling, so I appreciate your help to do some analysis (unfortunately their website lacks of a smart comparisson tool to identify key differences between models).

1. DBA OASIS S-COAT - Is this the flagship product?
2. AURORA BGA - Is this "similar" to (1), but smaller and lighter?
3. IMAGIC BGA SE - "Similar" to (2), but without the new S-type multi-coating?
4. VERANO BGA PC OASIS - "Similar" to (3), but smaller, lighter...?
5. Country man and expoler?

I appreciate any direction I can receive?

Thanks,

Hi - I am in the market for an 8x42 roof pair for birding. Due to the excellent reviews and apparent value they have, they will be an Opticron.

I have checked their website and downloaded the catalogue and they have lots of models...what can be a bit mind boggling, so I appreciate your help to do some analysis (unfortunately their website lacks of a smart comparisson tool to identify key differences between models).

1. DBA OASIS S-COAT - Is this the flagship product?
2. AURORA BGA - Is this "similar" to (1), but smaller and lighter?
3. IMAGIC BGA SE - "Similar" to (2), but without the new S-type multi-coating?
4. VERANO BGA PC OASIS - "Similar" to (3), but smaller, lighter...?
5. Country man and expoler?

I appreciate any direction I can receive?

Thanks,

The correct order in terms of quality, price and catalogue order is

Aurora BGA
DBA S-coat
Imagic BGA SE
Verano BGA
Countryman BGA
Explorer BGA

I could go through and give you the run deown on the whole of the Opticron range and the differrences between the various model but the only way you will appreciate the often subtle differences in quality resolution and sharpness of each of the various models is to visit a dealer and to test-drive them.

Whilst I appreciate that the internet is a wonderful research tool when it comes to learning about the various brands and models of binoculars. It only when you have them in your hands can you get a feel for which model is right for you. Afterall what you get on the internet is someone's opinion, which will not necessarily match your experience of the various models.

What I would suggest that you do is to go to a local opticron dealer and try them out for yourself.

Conn's Cameras in Dublin is perhaps your nearest Opticron retailer

http://www.connscameras.ie/

I was actually yesterday in Conns.

Beside the touch&feel, and everything you can read or see, I am mainly interested in what you can not find out from trying them reading the brochure.

For example, why does the Imagic cost +€100 more than the Verano, and DBA +€100 more than the Imagic? There doesnt seem to be anything in the lenses, so is it down the design or the weight?

I am keen to find out that before paying €500/€700, depending on the model I finally choose.

The Imagic has had excellent reviews, with people claiming that they are the equals, optically, of the DBA and Aurora. So if the size and weight of the Imagic suits you they seem like the bargain of the bunch. If you want to save a couple of ounces and get something neater and more elegant, you can pay double for the Aurora or pay less for the new open bridge Verano, which will be optically less good and has poorer FOV (though I haven't tried them myself). The DBA seems to me to have been overtaken and I wouldn't be surprised if its days were numbered.

If I had money to burn, I'd get the Aurora. If I didn't mind the extra weight, I'd get the Imagic. Third choice would be the Verano.

Michael

The Imagic has had excellent reviews, with people claiming that they are the equals, optically, of the DBA and Aurora. So if the size and weight of the Imagic suits you they seem like the bargain of the bunch. If you want to save a couple of ounces and get something neater and more elegant, you can pay double for the Aurora or pay less for the new open bridge Verano, which will be optically less good and has poorer FOV (though I haven't tried them myself). The DBA seems to me to have been overtaken and I wouldn't be surprised if its days were numbered.

If I had money to burn, I'd get the Aurora. If I didn't mind the extra weight, I'd get the Imagic. Third choice would be the Verano.

Michael

Thanks a lot for the analysis Michael - it deffinitely helps.

A few months ago i tried some opticron bnioculars out at In focus at Martin Mere my own bins are Nikon Monarchs 8x42
Out of the three i tried which were Imagic se 8x42 also aurora and Dba all 8x42 .Compared to my monarchs they all seemed better however if i had the money to buy on that day i would have bought the Imagic se much sharper than my monarchs i didnt notice a lot of difference with the other two pairs considering the extra money .The Imagics suited my hand and felt perfect seemed very robust .
Hope you get sorted soon.
Harold

Last edited:
Yes, thanks! I have yet to order them.
They are sold here in Dublin for €500, but I am researching online now and may get them from an uk retailer, for about £370 including delivery. I would rather from Dublin shop, but there is too much of a difference.

Got them finally from Conns! They didnt have them on stock so they should get them for me this week and in the meantime they lent me their "on display" pair.

I will be able to use them outside only today.

Now, from the opticron website I had the impression that you could attach the objective lens cover to the binoculars, but that is no the case in the pair I have. Perhaps this changes when I receive my "own" pair.

The Imagic BGA SE is not supplied with what we call integral objective lens covers. Any model that has this type of lens cap includes the information in the relevant web page on the Opticron site (e.g. the Aurora - http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/aurora_bga.htm)

These "dangley caps" as we like to call them here in the office are available to buy at £10 a pair. If you ask Conns to order them at the same time as the bins, we can include them with the shipment.

Cheers, Pete
Opticron Sales and Marketing

Pete, thanks for that.

I got an email yesterday from Conn saying that the new pair should include the called integral objective lens covers. I will follow up with them now, I appreciate if you can keep an eye on this from your end.

I actually asked them to order those lens with my binocs but they said that there was no need...

gzoladz - How are you getting one with your Imagic BGA SE 8 x 42's
Looking to test drive these very soon at a dealer event day.
With a budget of around £300 to £350 the spec of these appears to be excellent.

Last edited:
Fine, they are very good, clear and crisp.
I have to say though that I am still pretty amateur on this and have not tried as many binoculars as most of participants in this forum.

If you buy them, get also a pair of the called "integral lens covers". Its 10€ the pair and it makes the whole experience much more comfortable.

Does anybody know how long it takes to receive the free pair of binocs, after the purchase ticket has been posted?

Ok will do.
It has been suggested I take a look at the Verano's as well,but I think the spec is not quite as good.
The promotion for the free binoculars is subject to availability but delivery times is not mentioned.Just hope they hav'nt run out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back