• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick & dirty review of 8x42 Opticron Aurora. (1 Viewer)

Sounds like the Aurora binoculars are a keeper. Opticron doesn't have much of a presence here in the States, at least where I live, and it's a shame that more local dealers don't carry their optics. I was at a local hawk watch and was able to try binoculars from Leica, Swarovski, Vortex, and Zeiss. In the 1k price range, the Zeiss Conquests were the ones that I liked the most due to their brightness and clarity; however, I did notice that the eyecups weren't as smooth to adjust as the Trinovids and got stuck in place on a couple of occasions. I still have to try the Nikon HG, Meopta Meopro Air, and of course the Opticron Auroras. So far, I'm leaning towards the Conquests in an 8x42 because of field of view and because they seem clearer even at longer distances in that power. I appreciate your initial review and the update. Cheers!
If you are not needing low light, then I think the 8x32 Conquests are even better than the 8x42's
They still do fine in low light, but will be a tad behind the 42's. It's NOT that much though... really!
Bigger FOV too, as that is important to you.
I had the 8x42 Conquests, did the upgrade thing.... because that is what we do... and it was pointless in all honesty.
I still get to look through them occassionally as a mate bought them, and they really are very good.
However, I think I should have probably got the 32's.

I got a pair of these last week but only limited use so far due to the weather but the little I have used them has me excited to use them a lot more

Seem a big step up from the DBA VHD plus the I also have

I got a pair of these last week but only limited use so far due to the weather but the little I have used them has me excited to use them a lot more

Seem a big step up from the DBA VHD plus the I also have

A massive step up indeed - and worth every penny put into them.

I've had mine 2 years + now - and regret not one second of owning them as they are nothing but an exquisite joy in the field.

If you are not needing low light, then I think the 8x32 Conquests are even better than the 8x42's
They still do fine in low light, but will be a tad behind the 42's. It's NOT that much though... really!
Bigger FOV too, as that is important to you.
I had the 8x42 Conquests, did the upgrade thing.... because that is what we do... and it was pointless in all honesty.
I still get to look through them occassionally as a mate bought them, and they really are very good.
However, I think I should have probably got the 32's.
I ended up returning the Conquest HD 8x32’s. I wanted to keep them, especially for the price I paid, but to me the clarity and view at greater distances weren’t a huge improvement over the binoculars I already have. They were much brighter, during cloudy days, and I found them very clear. During sunny days, I didn’t notice much of a difference. I recently had a chance to look at a pair of 8x42 Conquests at a local birding shop and found I actually liked the view of the 8x42’s better. It seemed to provide a more comfortable view with less fiddling with the focus wheel and not needing the extended eye cups. I also looked through Nikon Monarch M7 8x32’s, Kowa XD 8x42’s, Leica Trinovid 8x42’s, and Swarovski EL 8.5x42’s. Out of curiosity I tested the EL’s, but didn’t find them worth more than twice the price of the Conquests, especially with the Zeiss’s holiday promotion. It’s too bad the Opticron Auroras aren’t available locally because I’d really like try them out, but if I find a good price from an authorized dealer that allows returns I might do so. I appreciate the reply. Have a great day!

The Aurora are better than any Conquest's that I tested. far better (And no, I am not a Zeiss hater, as I own and love the Zeiss VP 8x25) and even against the Zeiss SF, the colours in the Aurora are far creamier, richer, more immersive.

The Aurora are better than any Conquest's that I tested. far better (And no, I am not a Zeiss hater, as I own and love the Zeiss VP 8x25) and even against the Zeiss SF, the colours in the Aurora are far creamier, richer, more immersive.

Maybe the Auroras will provide that "wow" factor that I've yet to find in binoculars 1k and under. Yesterday's view provided by the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42's of the pigeons on the telephone pole was very clear and bright and compared to the Leica Trinovid 8x42's was pretty close from what I could tell. The person that helped me yesterday told me she had purchased a pair of Swarovski NL 10x42's for her recent trip to Africa and was now using them for her regular birding binoculars. She said that factory sales rep advised her to go with the higher powered binoculars and that higher quality glass would compensate for her unsteady hands. I did notice that her hands were rather shaky, but she said that she was perfectly happy birding with her NL 10x42's and that saving for them so long was well worth it. Did you by chance compare the 8x42 and 10x42 Auroras and if so, what's your overall opinion of each? I'd like to do what you did and "buy one and be done, " so your experience is much appreciated. Cheers!

I indeed tried 10x and 8x - But I love the 8x magnification (always have, always will) for under canopy and on the water. That's why it is my 'one and done'.

I indeed tried 10x and 8x - But I love the 8x magnification (always have, always will) for under canopy and on the water. That's why it is my 'one and done'.
The 8x42 is pretty popular and versatile power for birding. I appreciate the reply. Cheers!

I took the Aurora 8x42 out with my leica Retrovid 7x35 this morning. After a lot of switching back and forth I can only conclude that the Aurora's view is a bit better in many respects. Quite a result for a £400-£500 cheaper binocular.

It's clearly brighter to my eyes and gives the impression of being perhaps a little sharper, more washed clean, transparent and sparkling than the Leica.

I'm not saying it is better as I think at this level of optical quality it's a matter of taste but I'd say it has more instant wow factor than the warmer Retrovid's view.

Just my impressions.

I took the Aurora 8x42 out with my leica Retrovid 7x35 this morning. After a lot of switching back and forth I can only conclude that the Aurora's view is a bit better in
I took the Aurora 8x42 out with my leica Retrovid 7x35 this morning. After a lot of switching back and forth I can only conclude that the Aurora's view is a bit better in many respects. Quite a result for a £400-£500 cheaper binocular.

It's clearly brighter to my eyes and gives the impression of being perhaps a little sharper, more washed clean, transparent and sparkling than the Leica.

I'm not saying it is better as I think at this level of optical quality it's a matter of taste but I'd say it has more instant wow factor than the warmer Retrovid's view.

Just my impressions.

I found the same. The 7x35 is a delightfully nice view, but the Aurora gives me a deep feeling of contentment with that crystal clear clarity and wonderful crispness.

That and the eye relief is much better (and it is nitrogen purged for bad weather, which I am always out in). So yeah, the Aurora was the keeper in that shootout as well.

That said, the Leica looks bloody smart. I just wish it were nitrogen purged and sealed, with a less aggressive glove shredder of a focus wheel. A fine weather beast, and beautiful at it.

I found the same. The 7x35 is a delightfully nice view, but the Aurora gives me a deep feeling of contentment with that crystal clear clarity and wonderful crispness.

That and the eye relief is much better (and it is nitrogen purged for bad weather, which I am always out in). So yeah, the Aurora was the keeper in that shootout as well.

That said, the Leica looks bloody smart. I just wish it were nitrogen purged and sealed, with a less aggressive glove shredder of a focus wheel. A fine weather beast, and beautiful at it.
The Aurora is definitely a keeper for me too. Most of the top 8x42's I find too heavy after a while so the Opticron has really nailed it here with a basically alpha view for a lot less money.
Coming straight from the EL 8x32 and the SF 8x42 I'm genuinely surprised how good the Aurora image is. Easily better than Monarch HG 8X42 for example to my eyes.

Aurora 8x42. My thoughts after 2 years and counting: A true field grade professional piece of kit. Excellent optics, impeccable build. Faultless performance.

I'll be working & birding with these for a long, long time ahead as there is absolutely zero want or need from me for anything else.

A true keeper.

I also prefer Aurora colours and contrast to the SF, but not the focuser.
The focus wheel not turning smoothly and turning CCW are pretty much the only negative comments I’ve read regarding the Auroras. I believe Ratal mentioned his works fine, so maybe the sticky focus wheel is only in a few of these binoculars. Cheers!

Sometime ago I briefly tried the Aurora's to see what all the fuss is about given Ratals huge enthusiasm. decided against them because of the focusser. Notchy and sloppy. Just didn't compare to my Leica, Meopta or Zeiss focusses.
That’s too bad because I’ve read some great comments about the Auroras. I recently returned a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32’s but have to admit the focus wheel was very smooth. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back