• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Hi all,
I found the Spotted Sandpiper shortly after 1pm, as I couldn't do a morning visit due to looking after my poorly son (nothing serious before anyone asks) I scanned the dam to find a very distant bird on the dam. I couldn't see the spots at that distance, but could see an orange coloured bill that sent alarm bells ringing. The bird was distant at first, but a better vantage point was had further along the dam where some nice views were had.
I'm not able to update the Belvide blog at the moment as Surfbirds is down. So I've posted some on the Staffs web site for now.
This is the 3rd record for Belvide, and all were summer plumaged birds. One on the 18th May 1982 and one May 30-31st 2005.

The Belvide Blog is now back up and running where I've added some more pix. http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/Belvide84/

Cheers Steve

Attachments

• Spotted Sandpiper3.jpg
    Spotted Sandpiper3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
News for the 27th May

No sign of Spotted Sand at Belvide this am.
Little & 2 Arctic Tern & 10+ Sanderling - Blithfield
Sanderling - Uttoxeter Quarry also Little Stint reported

Anything at Gailey over the past week?

Hi Steve,

Its been very quiet in a few pre work visits over the past week and a good bash on Saturday.

There has just been the usual several Common Terns and 2 Ross's Geese from somewhere. I haven't seen any returning Spot Flys yet but this is hopefully a matter of time.

I'll be there again tomorrow morning - still hoping for Gailey's first Sanderling!

Cheers

Steve

News for the 28th May

3 Black-necked Grebe - Clayhanger on Ryders Mere
Wood Sand - Blithfield at the top of Blithe bay also 5 Sanderling
2 Sanderling - Drayton Bassett on North pit
Sanderling - Uttoxeter Quarry

News for the 29th May

2 Black & Arctic Tern - Belvide
Black Tern & Sanderling - Uttoxeter Quarry
2s Med Gull - Clayhanger on Ryders Mere

News for the 30th May

Fem Marsh Harrier - Aqualate Mere from hide at 13.00
2 Avocet - Blithfield in Blithe bay until 19.20 only also Turnstone, Arctic Tern
Black Tern - Uttoxeter Quarry
Short-eared Owl - Belvide below the dam

News for the 1st June

Fem Marsh Harrier - SE over Belvide early pm

News for the 31st May

Fem Marsh Harrier - over Knotbury
Turnstone - Blithfield on causeway

News for the 3rd June

Fem Common Scoter - Belvide
Osprey - Blithfield caught a fish then flew NW

News for the 2nd June

Fem Common Scoter & Whimbrel - Tittesworth
Turnstone - Blithfield on causeway

Nice to see two pairs of spotted flycatchers in the Sherbrook valley at Cannock Chase this morning, though no sign of any pied flys at stepping Stones. Also several redstarts, garden warbler, green woodpecker, tree pipits, 3 cuckoos.

Nice to see two pairs of spotted flycatchers in the Sherbrook valley at Cannock Chase this morning, though no sign of any pied flys at stepping Stones. Also several redstarts, garden warbler, green woodpecker, tree pipits, 3 cuckoos.

Thats pretty much the list I had this morning on the chase... was that you i spoke to when i was looking at the spotted flycatchers?

Jon

Thats pretty much the list I had this morning on the chase... was that you i spoke to when i was looking at the spotted flycatchers?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes indeed mate. A lovely morning only let down by the lack of pied flys which I was expecting to see, having seen them there a few weeks ago. Unless they have already fledged.

News for the 7th June

Black-necked Grebe, fem Common Scoter & Red Kite - Belvide

News for the 6th June

As above also 5 Black Tern - Belvide

Hi Jon,

Yes indeed mate. A lovely morning only let down by the lack of pied flys which I was expecting to see, having seen them there a few weeks ago. Unless they have already fledged.

I had pied fly about three weeks ago ... 2 males and to my mind they where still waiting for the females to arrive. I cant imagine the young have fledged yet.
Yes it was a cracking morning with plenty of bird activity.

Jon

News for the 8th June

Black-necked Grebe & Common Scoter - still Belvide
2 Black-necked Grebe - Drayton Bassett on reedbed pit

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back