• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retrovid and BN users, light leather zip pouch. (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

I remember I had one with my old 8x32 BN, now the same pouch with my new 7x35 Retrovids. At first I was disappointed, hoping for a padded cordura Ultravid style case, but now that I’m using it correctly, it’s kind of cool. Where with my 8x42 Ultravids, I leave the case behind in my truck, and depend on the objective and rain covers to protect the binos, with the Trinovids, I leave them in the case, hanging by the strap around my neck. Then pull them out to view. Now I don’t need or miss the objective covers, kind of neat really.

What’s your experience?

I remember I had one with my old 8x32 BN, now the same pouch with my new 7x35 Retrovids. At first I was disappointed, hoping for a padded cordura Ultravid style case, but now that I’m using it correctly, it’s kind of cool. Where with my 8x42 Ultravids, I leave the case behind in my truck, and depend on the objective and rain covers to protect the binos, with the Trinovids, I leave them in the case, hanging by the strap around my neck. Then pull them out to view. Now I don’t need or miss the objective covers, kind of neat really.

What’s your experience?
Hi John, i have one that came with my Duovid. Never used it though, maybe i should :unsure:

I guess the value of using the case like you do depends on your location and climate. Here in Arizona, sheltering them from rain is not much of an issue.

I have looked at that leather case with my retrovid… and use the case to transport or store my bins in… but not on a walk as you do. It would seem the retro case is designed to do ‘just what you do’ … so good to hear it works. I love the case. It is the same case as original 7x35 I believe. It fits with the overall quality feel of this set-up. Very soft leather, just high class, like a Leica should be.

What’s your experience?
My 10x32BN came with the very leather case you mentioned. I am using it for a protective case getting from A to B. But that's about it. While out and about it would be too cumbersome to go through all that motion 100's of times a day.

The case is a classic, no doubt, well fitting, well made, well... Leica (y)

My 10x32BN came with the very leather case you mentioned. I am using it for a protective case getting from A to B. But that's about it. While out and about it would be too cumbersome to go through all that motion 100's of times a day.

The case is a classic, no doubt, well fitting, well made, well... Leica (y)
I was using it that way, but with a one way zipper, it’s awkward. That said I use it both ways. I was just surprised how well it worked with the straps through that slot. It’s not much harder to pull out of the case and view than bringing my Ultravids up to my eyes and blackness, forgot to remove the objective covers😀.

I always liked the idea of the BN needing just a svelte leather cover but didn't want it dangling off the strap, so that part never worked for me, and I'd just stuff it and the rainguard in a pocket or leave it behind. Moreover the eyecups had to be put down and bin flattened to go into the case, so I tried to use it as little as possible. I prefer a simple cordura case that a bin can go into without guards and IPD set, ready to go.

IMO binoculars with substantial armouring like the BA/BN series (and GA Habichts/Dialyts, SLCs) don't really need a padded case. I have this type of case for my 10x40 Dialyt (GA) and never felt anything more substantial was necessary.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KiAAAOSwa1hcNlm9/s-l1200.webp

for a leatherette covered binocular I suppose a more protective case might be desirable - but it really depends how much abuse you expect it to get (if you expected the binocular to endure rough treatment you'd also want to use something with GA or similar armouring, I'd imagine).

I can't imagine having the case dangling from the strap, but each to his own I suppose.

IMO binoculars with substantial armouring like the BA/BN series (and GA Habichts/Dialyts, SLCs) don't really need a padded case. I have this type of case for my 10x40 Dialyt (GA) and never felt anything more substantial was necessary.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KiAAAOSwa1hcNlm9/s-l1200.webp

for a leatherette covered binocular I suppose a more protective case might be desirable - but it really depends how much abuse you expect it to get (if you expected the binocular to endure rough treatment you'd also want to use something with GA or similar armouring, I'd imagine).

I can't imagine having the case dangling from the strap, but each to his own I suppose.
Try it, you’ll like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back