• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid BL, is it still available? (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

When some of us were clamoring for a new version of the ole Leitz Trinovid, I thought the Ultravid BL was kind of close. Now that we have the Retrovids some are disappointed by their lack of waterproofing and close focus, maybe the Ultravid BL is a viable option. Pretty darn compact, lighter than the armored version but still waterproof, good close focus, nice Ultravid twist up eyecups, I like them!

And they age nice! A saw an used 8x42 Ultravid BL and it looked beautiful with the patina.
I had 8x42BL's and sold them. Just now was perusing auction site and contemplating a replacement pair. I sold them because I thought I had to have the UV HD+. TO be honest, I'm not sure I could see the difference and I miss the ergos of the BL's. The only downside was that they were colder in dead of winter.
For me the holy grail would be the safari edition which WAS a current HD+ but in olive BL wrappings.

The 8X42 Silverline I have are probably exactly the same as the BL. I really like them! I now pick them when I normally would have picked the UVHD+ 8X42. A smaller, lighter-weight binocular than the UVHD+ since it has no armoring. About 1.5 ounces lighter. I can't tell any difference between it and the UVHD+ optically. My Silverlines have the same eyecup type as the eyecups on the Retrovid, the push/pull style.

I edited to say that I don't think the BL/Silverline is current production but they can be found pretty regularly.

fullsizeoutput_e79.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13b6.jpeg

I had 8x42BL's and sold them. Just now was perusing auction site and contemplating a replacement pair. I sold them because I thought I had to have the UV HD+. TO be honest, I'm not sure I could see the difference and I miss the ergos of the BL's. The only downside was that they were colder in dead of winter.
For me the holy grail would be the safari edition which WAS a current HD+ but in olive BL wrappings.
The BL also comes with this really cool binocular shaped bag.

Note: this form fitting hard shell leather case will not accommodate the slightly larger ULTRAVID 42mm armored models.

The ULTRAVID BL brings with it a refined hard-shell carrying case made of leather with zip up side strips. This case is designed so that the straps from the binocular come through open slots at either side of the top of the case; the strap of the binocular supports both.

The adjustable straps on the Ultravid BL are also excellent. Adjust them to size and no loose dangling ends to snag on twigs or brush.

The ocular covers are the best I've used.
The case is superb but the zip handles too weak and disappeared soon.

Last edited:
The 8X42 Silverline I have are probably exactly the same as the BL. I really like them! I now pick them when I normally would have picked the UVHD+ 8X42. A smaller, lighter-weight binocular than the UVHD+ since it has no armoring. About 1.5 ounces lighter. I can't tell any difference between it and the UVHD+ optically. My Silverlines have the same eyecup type as the eyecups on the Retrovid, the push/pull style.

I edited to say that I don't think the BL/Silverline is current production but they can be found pretty regularly.

fullsizeoutput_e79.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13b6.jpeg
D

Do you use the BL Sliverline for yachting? Birds can spot you a mile away with those flashy sliver barrels on land! I remember reading the ad copy for the Sliverline on Leica's website, and it showed large boats in the background and it said they were popular with the yachting crowd. I can definitely see Thurston Howell III's wife, Lovey, with a pair of these. :)

Some male birds are attracted to shiny things since they pick them up and put them in a collection to attract a female. Forgot what species, saw that on "Green Planet" with David Attenborough, and it was pretty amazing the things they picked up including women's jewelry. The Cabela 8x32 Guide is smaller than the BL but it's built like the Swaro CL, so there's plenty of room between the barrels to wrap my fingers around.

I liked the retro look of BLs (the all black version) when they first came out. There was a store, can't remember the name now, and I'm not sure if it's still in business, but they were selling the BL Silverline at a steep discount. However, I think those bigger, double hinge Noctavids would work better for my shaky, apeman hands.

The BL has two optical barrels and a middle barrel for the focuser and bridge, so I'd have to hold them like a sandwich. Tried that with the 8x32 LX, and it didn't work out. None-the-less, the Silverline would look nice on my yacht. Or it would have before Bitcoin bit the dust, and I had to sell it. :)

Attachments

• Brock Pierce and his yacht.jpeg
    Brock Pierce and his yacht.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 10
Here'a rare find for Leica fans! There's a NEAR MINT in BOX w/ WTY. to 2030 Trinnie 8x32 BN on the Bay. I've seen many VG condition used Leica BNs for sale for around the same price or a bit less, but never a near mint in box version with warranty for $900. Considering how much Leica charges for repairs, it seems worth buying one with a warranty
(that is, if you like your Trinnies chunky rather than light).

When some of us were clamoring for a new version of the ole Leitz Trinovid, I thought the Ultravid BL was kind of close. Now that we have the Retrovids some are disappointed by their lack of waterproofing and close focus, maybe the Ultravid BL is a viable option. Pretty darn compact, lighter than the armored version but still waterproof, good close focus, nice Ultravid twist up eyecups, I like them!
Someone school me on this, please. Is the Ultravid in green the equivalent to the Ultravid BL?

Ultravid_8x42_green_Frontal-1_1024x1024_aeb3a27f-d2f4-4a4d-80a3-8d07f9bd0b77.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back