• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid BL, is it still available? (2 Viewers)

I'm usually not a fan of green-colored bins, but I do like the color of these. I think there is an import tax on bins bought from Germany. I don't go on safaris, but I'll pass this on to Eric and Don. Jr. :)
I haven’t had to pay any import taxes from Greece, Germany or Finland and the bigger issue with this auction is that they’re not willing to ship outside of Germany.

I haven’t had to pay any import taxes from Greece, Germany or Finland and the bigger issue with this auction is that they’re not willing to ship outside of Germany.
Trinnie,

Did your purchases fall below the minimum to be taxed? Not sure what the limit is for Germany, but for items shipped from the UK to the US there is no import duty in optics exports until $800 and then there is a marginal duty (<10% IIRC) based on how much it exceeds this amount.

The import duty from Germany was/is 8% of the cost in the "Currency of Origin". So the import duty would be based upon the value in Euros, not USD.

AFAIK, Biden only removed Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs on Europe. Oddly, nothing is coming up in my searches for updates on other import duties such those on sports optics and cameras.

Brock

If anyone is looking, there's what appears to be a nice 8x42BL on the auction site (US). At first they were listed as 10x but I notified seller. The price is very competitive IMHO. Although it's tempting, I already sold off an 8x42BL and don't want to lose money - again (I would sell my HD+).

No affiliation and buyer beware, ymmv, etc.

I bought a FL 7x42 from Great Britain and the bino is already 1 week at the Dutch customs office. Didn’t realize i have to pay VAT and import duties for a used product :(. Becomes rather expensive to buy used binoculars outside the EU like this.

If anyone is looking, there's what appears to be a nice 8x42BL on the auction site (US). At first they were listed as 10x but I notified seller. The price is very competitive IMHO. Although it's tempting, I already sold off an 8x42BL and don't want to lose money - again (I would sell my HD+).

No affiliation and buyer beware, ymmv, etc.
Looks very nice. Why did you sell yours?

Since you lost money selling them, are you saying that Leicas don't hold their value like Swarovskis? Or did they show wear easily due to the leather covering?

Also, Leica doesn't cover repairs on used bins for low or no cost like Swarovski., which is the main reason why I think Swarovskis hold their value so well. That steered me away from buying a used Leica since I've read that out-of-pocket repairs can be very costly.

Brock

Last edited:
Looks very nice. Why did you sell yours?

Since you lost money selling them, are you saying that Leicas don't hold their value like Swarovskis? Or did they show wear easily due to the leather covering?

Also, Leica doesn't cover repairs on used bins for low or no cost like Swarovski., which is the main reason why I think Swarovskis hold their value so well. That steered me away from buying a used Leica since I've read that out-of-pocket repairs can be very costly.

Brock
Sold them because I read on birdforum.net that I need to try and attain higher levels of optical perfection :p

I liked them so much that I thought, at the time, the HD+ would make me an even better birder. Armored, better coatings,... you know, even more 'delicious'. I actually miss the round barrels (slightly better fit for my hands) and the lack of 'plastic'. Lose money because I bought the HD+ new from Leica and resale is never (except in a few categories) 100% of retail. Basically every time I 'upgrade' I lose a little $. I recently sold my first 'current' binos (Trinovid HD's) for 2/3 what I paid for them (new, from Leica dealer). I bought the BL's used and IIRC I sold them for pretty close to what I paid for them (honestly can't recall if a little more or less?), so no, they held their value. I think the BL's are underpriced/valued only because people think they need the latest HD+, or armoring. I certainly fell for that mistaken belief! The only downside IMHO to the BL's was that they are notably colder feeling. I bird year round and in 20F they were def colder than armored binos. As to showing wear, I actually would rather see the patina on metal, than plastic/rubber that gets shiny or chalky or cracked.

I would save a LOT of moola if I would stay off this part of the forum ;-)

Brock,

I pull them out once in a while, like the Nikon EII Anniversary edition. The Anniversary Edition of the WX 10X50 is the one to have.
Andy,

I didn't know Nikon made an Anniversary Edition of the WX. They were first released in 2017, so they already had the upgraded glass and coatings.

I looked them up, only 100 10x50 Was were made, 200 in all counting the 7x50 WX AE. I want to sell my 8x30 AE E2 before the next recession hits, and people start selling their heirlooms for cheap, and the deep pocketed buy them like candy.

Unlike the 8x30 E2 AE, which is different looking from the black body edition, the AE WX doesn't seem to look any different than the regular WX other than the 100th Anniversary print.

I was sticker shocked when I first saw the price of the WX, but now that alphas have hit the $3k+ mark, the WX is "only" the price of two alphas.

Hmmm.. a good used car or Nikon 10x50 WX? Let me think about it. :)

There was a time when I spent more time on Cloudy Nights than BF because my main interest was stargazing. But the ever expanding universe of the university (Penn State) and non-stop housing projects and influx of box stores caused my fellow astronomy club members and I to travel farther and father from town to get to a dark site due to encroaching light pollution (I even wrote about the problem in State College Magazine). A couple guys had RVs, so they stayed overnight (one had a CCD camera and in the winter would stay in his RV processing the images from his telescope). They were pretty amazing images considering the aperture of his telescope wasn't that big but it was optimized for astrophotography.

The turning point for me came the night we came home from hosting a club event at a state park and a deer nearly landed in my lap. We were going slow but it ran right into the van. Its antlers came that close <> to my window, but he hit the side of the van, fell, was stunned for a couple seconds, and then quickly got up and ran off into the woods.

I also caught bad bronchitis that winter from going stargazing in the cold and take corticosteroids. So, that was the last straw, and I sold my 12x50 SE and bought an 8x32 SE and became a fair-weather birdwatcher.

It's fun especially when combined with hiking, but I have never lost my love for astronomy and still keep up with latest developments such as the JWST. Now I'm an armchair astronomer.

I'm going to watch this astronomy program Wednesday on NOVA (check your local PBS channel listings).

Brock

Last edited:
I think the BL's are underpriced/valued only because people think they need the latest HD+, or armoring.
BL's mixture of modern/classic is very appealing. Given that I don't see a huge quality difference between BN and HD+, the problem was just that BLs seemed some sort of forgotten stepchild. Why or how did they bother to maintain production of pre-HD internals for the BL line, just in order to not put rubber on it? And then there's the special safari model that actually was HD for some reason. Just a bit of Leica weirdness, to be bothered by or not.

Middleriver,

What glass do you currently use now? being that the Trinovid HDs and BL are sold.
8x20 BCA
Retro 7x35
UV 8x42HD+
SFL 8x40
NV 10x42
8x30HG (wife….)

Some almost convinced me to drink Swaro koolaid but so far I’ve resisted. Irrational.

That’s a very personal question… I feel like I just showed up at work sans trousers :-o.

Sold them because I read on birdforum.net that I need to try and attain higher levels of optical perfection :p

I liked them so much that I thought, at the time, the HD+ would make me an even better birder. Armored, better coatings,... you know, even more 'delicious'. I actually miss the round barrels (slightly better fit for my hands) and the lack of 'plastic'. Lose money because I bought the HD+ new from Leica and resale is never (except in a few categories) 100% of retail. Basically every time I 'upgrade' I lose a little $. I recently sold my first 'current' binos (Trinovid HD's) for 2/3 what I paid for them (new, from Leica dealer). I bought the BL's used and IIRC I sold them for pretty close to what I paid for them (honestly can't recall if a little more or less?), so no, they held their value. I think the BL's are underpriced/valued only because people think they need the latest HD+, or armoring. I certainly fell for that mistaken belief! The only downside IMHO to the BL's was that they are notably colder feeling. I bird year round and in 20F they were def colder than armored binos. As to showing wear, I actually would rather see the patina on metal, than plastic/rubber that gets shiny or chalky or cracked.

I would save a LOT of moola if I would stay off this part of the forum ;-)
MR,

I know exactly what you mean. In astronomy it's "aperture fever" that drives one into bankruptcy; in birding it's the desire to buy the latest and greatest (even if they only have incremental improvements, which is especially true with Leicas since they've been making the same Trinovids/Ultraivds for decades, with some incremental tweaks).

I started feeling a little "feverish" with the SFL, but after much research, I convinced myself that they are not for me, so the feeling is past, and my credit card is securely back in my pocket.

As I mentioned on another subform, the best birder I know used a $200 Pentax roof with a 6.5* FOV. But he could recognize birdcalls and even imitate some birds and coax them out of the woods, so during the fall bird count, which lasted from 5 am to 5 pm seated inside a 15 foot circle, he ID'd have the birds on the list! It didn't need a $3K NL Pure. It's a myth that you need an alpha to be an even better birder. But the alpha makers would like you to believe that.

That extra 5-10% optical quality comes at a steep cost, but some believe they need it. Others know they don't but they are binocular fetishists like myself.

It's the same with amateur astronomy, the best amateurs aren't the ones with the most expensive GO-TO telescopes but the ones who know the night sky like the back of their hands, and who can help others including the public at skywatches to find celestial objects in the sky and tell them something about them that will help them appreciate the wonders of the universe.

Does my 8x32 EDG make me a better birder than my Cabela 8x32 Guide? No. A lot of the work in the hobby of birdwatchings is done at home. Reading about birds and their habitats (I'm just starting to learn that because I moved and birds aren't as easy to find as they were in the woodsy area where I lived before, so now I've got to find out what they eat here, which leads me to them). So that when you go out into the field, you are prepared.

Do I derive more pleasure looking through the EDG than the Guide? Yes. The Cabela's are great for their price point, but the EDG is eyegasmic and fits my hands like a glove. The EDG doesn't make me a better birder, but it makes me a bit happier, and when you listen to the news these days, that's worth something!

Do what makes you happy. If that's owning a BL, sell your armored HD+++ and buy a leather BL and a pair of Gortex gloves! :)

Brock

8x20 BCA
Retro 7x35
UV 8x42HD+
SFL 8x40
NV 10x42
8x30HG (wife….)

Some almost convinced me to drink Swaro koolaid but so far I’ve resisted. Irrational.

That’s a very personal question… I feel like I just showed up at work sans trousers :-o.
I think you have all the bases covered very well.

MR,

I know exactly what you mean. In astronomy it's "aperture fever" that drives one into bankruptcy; in birding it's the desire to buy the latest and greatest (even if they only have incremental improvements, which is especially true with Leicas since they've been making the same Trinovids/Ultraivds for decades, with some incremental tweaks).

I started feeling a little "feverish" with the SFL, but after much research, I convinced myself that they are not for me, so the feeling is past, and my credit card is securely back in my pocket.

As I mentioned on another subform, the best birder I know used a $200 Pentax roof with a 6.5* FOV. But he could recognize birdcalls and even imitate some birds and coax them out of the woods, so during the fall bird count, which lasted from 5 am to 5 pm seated inside a 15 foot circle, he ID'd have the birds on the list! It didn't need a $3K NL Pure. It's a myth that you need an alpha to be an even better birder. But the alpha makers would like you to believe that.

That extra 5-10% optical quality comes at a steep cost, but some believe they need it. Others know they don't but they are binocular fetishists like myself.

It's the same with amateur astronomy, the best amateurs aren't the ones with the most expensive GO-TO telescopes but the ones who know the night sky like the back of their hands, and who can help others including the public at skywatches to find celestial objects in the sky and tell them something about them that will help them appreciate the wonders of the universe.

Does my 8x32 EDG make me a better birder than my Cabela 8x32 Guide? No. A lot of the work in the hobby of birdwatchings is done at home. Reading about birds and their habitats (I'm just starting to learn that because I moved and birds aren't as easy to find as they were in the woodsy area where I lived before, so now I've got to find out what they eat here, which leads me to them). So that when you go out into the field, you are prepared.

Do I derive more pleasure looking through the EDG than the Guide? Yes. The Cabela's are great for their price point, but the EDG is eyegasmic and fits my hands like a glove. The EDG doesn't make me a better birder, but it makes me a bit happier, and when you listen to the news these days, that's worth something!

Do what makes you happy. If that's owning a BL, sell your armored HD+++ and buy a leather BL and a pair of Gortex gloves! :)

Brock
I could have authored your post... all true.

I have been a 'maker' of things as well as a designer, so I tend to obsess with craftsmanship and design quality. So there is an intrinsic love for things that lasts well beyond their actual utility. Leica M cameras for instance. Or using Japanese chisels and planes. The HG Nikons feel plasticy to me (they are not), and of course the Retros are a pleasure to fondle. Then of course, there's the optical portion. I used the little 8x20's for many years (travelling, backpacking, etc.) and my (inherited) 7x35 'original' trinovids (from 70's) seemed stellar. AT some point I purchased Zeiss Terras which of course surpased everything I had use up to that point. THEN on a whim, I stopped in Leica store while on biz in DC, and fondled Trinovid HD's. 'WOW' I thought... I didn't see CA, or narrow'ish FOV - I saw crystal clear image with superb everything, and a build quallity that seemed like it was good for another 50 yrs. And so it goes...

Has my birding improved? Well, perhaps a little. The comfort in using binos had def improved. Bigger eye-box, brighter image, (i wear specs and my eyes aren't what they were 40 years ago). Is it worth the extra $1-2k? I suppose I could argue it is, but not really.

At the end of the day i'm another gearhead who has always loved optics - and all the other first-world toys we seem to think are essential to our happiness!

Do you use the BL Sliverline for yachting? Birds can spot you a mile away with those flashy sliver barrels on land! I remember reading the ad copy for the Sliverline on Leica's website, and it showed large boats in the background and it said they were popular with the yachting crowd. I can definitely see Thurston Howell III's wife, Lovey, with a pair of these. :)

Some male birds are attracted to shiny things since they pick them up and put them in a collection to attract a female. Forgot what species, saw that on "Green Planet" with David Attenborough, and it was pretty amazing the things they picked up including women's jewelry. The Cabela 8x32 Guide is smaller than the BL but it's built like the Swaro CL, so there's plenty of room between the barrels to wrap my fingers around.

I liked the retro look of BLs (the all black version) when they first came out. There was a store, can't remember the name now, and I'm not sure if it's still in business, but they were selling the BL Silverline at a steep discount. However, I think those bigger, double hinge Noctavids would work better for my shaky, apeman hands.

The BL has two optical barrels and a middle barrel for the focuser and bridge, so I'd have to hold them like a sandwich. Tried that with the 8x32 LX, and it didn't work out. None-the-less, the Silverline would look nice on my yacht. Or it would have before Bitcoin bit the dust, and I had to sell it. :)
It would make a dapper yachting binocular! But you know....I've never had a bird tell me they saw me before I saw them!
One thing about the Silverline and I assume the BL as well. With the diopter/focus almost the same knob...one MASSIVE area to use for focusing.
For me the Ultravid 42mm series are really about right in terms of size/fit/ergos.

It would make a dapper yachting binocular! But you know....I've never had a bird tell me they saw me before I saw them!
One thing about the Silverline and I assume the BL as well. With the diopter/focus almost the same knob...one MASSIVE area to use for focusing.
For me the Ultravid 42mm series are really about right in terms of size/fit/ergos.
I think sun glinting off shiny objects is more of a concern for hunters, so they are not spotted by their prey. They wear camouflage clothing, and even some binoculars have camouflage armoring. I think most Swaros are green for that reason. Dark binoculars are not as big an issue for birders unless they are chasing the illusive Ivory-billed woodpecker, which apparently must be spooked very easily. :)

Birds do get spooked if I get too close, but as long as I maintain a distance they are comfortable with, they don't seem to mind me looking at them and go about their business.

A few years back I bought a pair of Carson FlashShield Binocular Sunshades from B&H that look like objective covers with slats that are supposed to let light in but cut down on flare/glare, which was a major issue with the pre-SV 8x32 EL, which had the second worst flare problem I've seen in bins since the Zenray Z3 (?), but that was a a little over $200, not $1200. The 8x32 EL also had a lousy focuser (I don't like Swaro focusers in general, but this one was worse than average, however, Swaro might have been able to improve it if I had sent it in, perhaps at no charge), but the flare problem was way too much for an alpha.

The Carson FlashShield Binocular Sunshades were terrible. They made the EL's flare worse, and the reduced the light to the point where it was hard to see through the binoculars. What the heck was Carason thinking when they made these?! I think the idea was to keep glints of light from reflecting off the objectives of hunters' binoculars, but they are not much good if they reduce light and make glare worse. Terrible product. Never returned them since I moved shortly after, just found them the other day in their delivery package.

Yes, the dual focuser/diopter knobs are huge on the BL. Some might like them particularly if they are wearing gloves in the winter.

You've got quite a large collection of bins. Are the UV 42s the ones you use the most?

Btw, I finally got the 8x32 EDG, which I had asked you about a few years ago. I like it better than the 8x42 model even though the optics are not quite as dazzling as the 8x42's, but ergonomically, they are a much better fit for my hands.

Brock

Birds do get spooked if I get too close, but as long as I maintain a distance they are comfortable with, they don't seem to mind me looking at them and go about their business.

I was looking at a Great Spotted Woodpecker about 30m away. It looked at me, made eye contact then scurried over to the opposite end of the tree trunk to peck away in privacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back