• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid BL, is it still available? (2 Viewers)

Some male birds are attracted to shiny things since they pick them up and put them in a collection to attract a female. Forgot what species, saw that on "Green Planet" with David Attenborough, and it was pretty amazing the things they picked up including women's jewelry.

Here'a rare find for Leica fans! There's a NEAR MINT in BOX w/ WTY. to 2030 Trinnie 8x32 BN on the Bay. I've seen many VG condition used Leica BNs for sale for around the same price or a bit less, but never a near mint in box version with warranty for $900. Considering how much Leica charges for repairs, it seems worth buying one with a warranty
(that is, if you like your Trinnies chunky rather than light).

I looked at those very ones before I bought mine, but there are a few scuff/cut marks on the edge of the objective ends.
I think that's why thet are 'nearly mint'.
I love mine, and don't find these old classics lacking one bit.... an absolute joy to use!!!!

Someone school me on this, please. Is the Ultravid in green the equivalent to the Ultravid BL?

View attachment 1492795
Hey Alaska,

I have the 2017 edition of the 8x42 Safari that is HD Plus. I believe the edition prior to that lacked the latest coatings/updates. From what I can determine, they are a special edition of the discontinued black BL model.

Attachments

• Leica Safari.jpg
    Leica Safari.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 28
I looked at those very ones before I bought mine, but there are a few scuff/cut marks on the edge of the objective ends.
I think that's why thet are 'nearly mint'.
I love mine, and don't find these old classics lacking one bit.... an absolute joy to use!!!!
That's why they call them "classics." You pay a lot for Leicas but they are built tough and with some care can last a lifetime. Up until the Trinovid Lights, which were an attempt to offer a mid-tier bin since like Zeiss and Swaro, Leica realized that unlike Nikon, they were missing out on that va$t middle market.

Similarly with the Noctavid, which was designed to compete with the EL, Leica felt like they had to offer an open bridge model with field flatteners. But whether they were called Trinovids or Ultravids, Leica has been making the same alpha binoculars for decades with some minor tweaks and upgrades to the coatings (I'm waiting for the HD++ :)). When you find a winning formula, you stick with it. Look what happened to Coke with New Coke. Disaster.

The only criticism with the 8x32 Trino-Ultravid is its short 13.3mm ER, which doesn't work for a lot of eyeglass wearers.

Brock

This link reads like internet trash, reposting shallow well-known information with lots of ads and presumably click-through profits from sales links. They can't even decide whether attraction to shiny things relates to courting behavior, food (how?), or "uveitis" which is an eye infection.

This link reads like internet trash, brief repetition of widely known information with lots of ads and presumably click-through profits from sales links. They can't even decide whether attraction to shiny things relates to courting behavior, food (how?), or "uveitis" which is an eye infection.
Do you want me to remove it, i will if it makes you more comfortable. You sound angry :oops:

Brock,

I pull them out once in a while, like the Nikon EII Anniversary edition. The Anniversary Edition of the WX 10X50 is the one to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back