• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of the KITE OPTICS APC 18x50 ED stabilized binoculars (1 Viewer)

binomania

This evening I present to you something new that many fans have been waiting for. These are stabilized binoculars (2°), made in Japan. It is equipped with ED optics, is well waterproofed, provides a fully usable wide-angle field of view (in daytime use) up to the edge and a battery life of more than 30 hours. Prices starting from 1700 euros with 30 years warranty on optics and mechanics and 5 on electronic components. Happy viewing and happy reading.
Full article: Recensione del binocolo stabilizzato KITE OPTICS APC 18X50 ED: Il nuovo punto di riferimento! -
Video on Youtube:
In the next days i will create english subtitles for the video
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Thank you, Piergiovanni.

Much welcome and appreciated!!!

This is for me one of the best reviews you ever published.

Canip

Last edited:
Dear Canip, your words make me very happy because - as you know I try to produce 6 - 8 video reviews in a month and I have a lot of work to do between observing, writing, taking photos, shooting videos and editing. I know you from your experience and it's the best gift you could have given me! Tomorrow if I can I'll also post the subtitles in the video. Thank you

Dear Piergiovanni, „thank you for thanking me“ (I never thought I once would write that odd sentence ;)). You are a busy man indeed, and it‘s great you still put that much effort into reviews such as the one on the Kite. I not only find it well laid out and written, I also concur with basically everything you say (just acquired the 18x50 myself). I have not seen the SIG Sauer stabis, but have been using stabilized binos from Canon (seven models in total), Fujinon, Kenko and Vixen for a while now; I found the Canons „leading the pack“, despite heavy CA in some of their models. The new Kite APCs may perhaps change the dynamics in that market. Thank you for pointing that out.

Canip
(btw, at least one of the three „alphas“ seems to be definitely working on its own stabi, as my trusted optics dealer tells me). :)

I have a question regarding these new wonder binos: the 18x50 has an EP of 2.77 mm, the 14x50 of 3.5 mm according to the manufacturer. In fact all stabi binos seems to have small EPs. How do these perform at dawn and dusk? A normal bino would be useless with such small EPs, so does the stabilization make up for that in any way? I read binomania's paragraph on dusk, but when I put a 10 or 12 x56 on a tripod (Gitzo GT5533LS with a Novoflex CB5-TQM head and a Berlebach bino support) I have a rock steady setup.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding these new wonder binos: the 18x50 has an EP of 2.77 mm, the 14x50 of 3.5 mm according to the manufacturer. In fact all stabi binos seems to have small EPs. How do these perform at dawn and dusk? A normal bino would be useless with such small EPs, so does the stabilization make up for that in any way? I read binomania's paragraph on dusk, but when I put a 10 or 12 x56 on a tripod (Gitzo GT5533LS with a Novoflex CB5-TQM head and a Berlebach bino support) I have a rock steady setup.
The Kite 18x50 or 14x50 won't perform any better than a normal binocular with similar transmission and similar EP at dawn and dusk. Low light performance is determined solely by EP size and transmission as far as apparent brightness. They will show more detail under low light because of their higher magnification, because they have a higher Twilight Factor than say an 8x or 10x binocular.

The Kite will outperform a regular binocular with a similar EP, as far as eye placement comfort though because the IS helps keep the EP cone of light centered over the eye's pupil. The Kite 14x50 or 18x50 are not going to be stellar performers when it comes to dawn and dusk performance with their smaller EP's, although they should be quite satisfactory with the high magnification helping to see detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back