• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (6 Viewers)

The subject of wildfowlers in the bay came up at a recent meeting of the Friends group for the park and apparently the very end of the pipe is an area where shooting is actually allowed. Far from ideal but apparently all above board.

The subject of wildfowlers in the bay came up at a recent meeting of the Friends group for the park and apparently the very end of the pipe is an area where shooting is actually allowed. Far from ideal but apparently all above board.

It may seem apparently above board, but according to the map in the management plan, the end of the pipe is in the no shoot zone - he'd have to be in the mud beyond the end of the pipe to be outwith the no shoot zone, which it seems he wasnt.

It could be that in the mists of time, the wildfowlers have conveniently pulled the wool over someone's eyes and it's just become accepted to shoot from the end of the pipe, which contradicts the management plan they themselves are supposedly on board with. I'd be checking it out if I was there, and had been at all bothered by their actions.....

SRG

Hadn't seen the photos, Stuart (viewed thread on my phone), but that isn't the end of the pipe anyway, so even if I was right about it being ok to shoot from there - he isn't even at that point. It is being looked into.

really quiet in the blustery conditions this morning,only 19 species seen,managed 2 new birds for my slowly growing year list,a single yellowhammer was at the side of buzzard wood plus a sparrowhawk was seen twice being mobbed by crows at the hide area,there is a lot of flooding about and the birds usually seen on the lochan were swimming in flood water behind the car park
birds
jackdaw/carrion crow/wren/blackbird/mute swan/mallard/yellowhammer/reedbunting/chaffinch/heron/herring gull/wood pigeon/dunnock/black headed gull/sparrowhawk/redshank/teal/curlew/shellduck

I checked piperdam to see if the slavonian grebe which has been reported over the last few days was present,the bird was still there over to the right at 1.20pm,i found a predated mallard eggshell on the grass and also seen some new buds appearing on the trees early spring maybe ?
6 goosanders at lairds loch plus 2 ravens and 1 woodcock at lundie crags were new birds for my year list,a flock of 7 bullfinches were feeding in the heather (2m/5f)
while walking through the trees at the back of lundie crags a 120 foot tree blew over about 80 feet from me,it went over quite quickly and apart from the sound of the roots being ripped out the earth there was hardly any sound,i always thought there would be some creaking sounds before a tree went over ,ill have to be more wary walking through woods in stormy weather :eek!:

Attachments

• yellowhammer.JPG
    yellowhammer.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 46
  • redshanks.JPG
    redshanks.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 57
  • slav.JPG
    slav.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 74
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 61
Gosh!!! That would be quite scary Kawwauser!!!!

Some great birds you got today too.

I had an unexpected day off today and headed down to the park 12.00 ,still going through one of those quiet periods,a kestrel was hunting/perching buzzard wood and the only small birds I could find were a small flock of coal tits,looking back I have rarely seen coal tits here,a single grey wagtail flew past me on the other side of the tunnel,from the earth viewing point I could see gulls of varying sizes over in the distance,i put a question on the sea bird thread asking where do all the lesser black backed gulls go to,
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=274602,i have searched the web but there is not a lot of info on this, I thought if I got a positive id on a lssb gull I would have a return date but needless to say all the gulls had moved on by the time I reached there resting point,not seen any lssb gulls in the city centre either
list of birds seen

carrioncrow/woodpigeon/herring gull/mallard/redshank/robin/black headed gull/heron/blackbird/coal tit/song thrush x1/kestel/teal/feral pigeon/curlew/grey wagtail/shellduck/oystercatcher/jackdaw

Finally made it back to the park yesterday after a couple of planned visits had been derailed by running into Waxwings and exotic Gulls (Med and Iceland). Rather windy so birds were hard to find except around the lochan and the tide being right out didn't help either with only a few gulls in the bathing pool and some Teal and a Redshank on the burn.
Lots of boggy areas but failed to find any Snipe or Jack Snipe, but a few Mallard and a pair of Meadow Pipits flew off as I searched. The Lochan was the most productive part of the park with a roosting flock of Redshanks and a Dunlin, Black Headed and a couple of Herring Gulls on the water, Oystercatcher, Mallard and Teal plus Jackdaws and Carrion Crows.

Full list of only 20 species - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Common Gull, Curlew, Dunlin, Goldfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Skylark, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren

I was in the park last Monday but forgot to post ,2 herring gulls and 5 carrion crows were attacking another herring gull on the flood next to the lochan,they left it in quite a damaged state, the grey wagtail was again feeding just beyond the tunnel, there were 3 greylags resting up opposite the hide, today there were just the 2,22 species seen today in the rain, I heard a skylark calling and heard song from blackbirds/chaffinch/robin,a pair of shellducks were below the earth viewing point close to land,the light was too low at the bay to check the gulls properly but im sure no lssb gulls have returned, close views of 3 yellowhammers made me glad to go out even though it was raining

Attachments

• yellowhammer.JPG
    yellowhammer.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 27
  • songthrush.JPG
    songthrush.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 31
  • blackbird.JPG
    blackbird.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 21
  • bhgull.jpg
    bhgull.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 37
  • greylags.JPG
    greylags.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 49
quite warm in the park today, add to that singing yellowhammers and skylarks and it almost felt like summer, if it hadn't been for small flocks of redwing I could easily have been fooled,6 shell ducks in front of the hide added some colours, only 1 female which caused some fighting, a large flock of carrion crows with a smaller number of jackdaws were rummaging on the ground left of the scree area, I first thought they were searching for nesting material, but after watching them for a while it looks like there is some sort of insects present which they both like, I was hoping there would be a lot of bh gulls on the lochan for me to scan but only 1 present plus a herring gull juv ,teals plus oystercatchers(still trying to improve my winter gull id skills have Iceland/glaucous pinned I think, I have had some good advice on the med ,just have to find one now)a female dog walker walked through the marshy area to the right of buzzard wood which was unusual, I thought there might be a chance of a flushed snipe here but no joy ,the wader numbers are understandably down with only redshank/oystercatchers in front of the hide,4 greylags are opposite here,
birds seen
carrion crow/mallard/woodpigeon/blackbird/chaffinch/black headed gull/yellowhammer/herring gull/robin(all over the park)song thrush/oystercatcher/feral pigeon/redwing/heron/shelduck/redshank/teal/greylag/jackdaw/long tailed tit x1

Attachments

• shellducks.JPG
    shellducks.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 34
  • shellducks2.JPG
    shellducks2.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 41
  • shellduck3.JPG
    shellduck3.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 30
  • crow2.JPG
    crow2.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 35
  • gull.JPG
    gull.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 35
Received word of species number 134 for the park tonight from Ian Ford. An ecologist carrying out survey work last summer found 3 Garden Warblers. Another species to keep an eye out for this summer in addition to the Lesser Whitethroats.

134. Garden Warbler

2 lesser black backed gulls on the lochan this morning,this is the first lsbb gulls I have seen in the park this year,1 was preening the other washing,looks like new arrivals,i thought there would be no small birds on show due to the very strong wind but there was nice mixed flock at the east end of buzzard wood,the flock consisted manly chaffinches with 2 greenfinches /goldfinches and linnets,all 4 were calling,a single female reed bunting was sitting quietly with them,just to the right of them 3 pied wagtails were having a noisy fight in the grass,20 oystercatchers were resting at the lochan with carrion crows/jackdaws feeding ,when I first visited the hide the only gulls directly in front were herring gulls,later the 2 lsbb gulls joined them on the pipe,7 shelducks were here and I could only make out 1 female,skylark and wren were the only other birds heard calling,

still several whoopers at piper dam and a pair of little grebes showing,tons of coots here plus small numbers of goldeneyes/tufted ducks

riverside nature park birds and pics
carrion crow/skylark/herring gull/wood pigeon/chaffinch/linnet/greenfinch/reed bunting/goldfinch/pied wagtail/kestrel/lesser black backed gull/oystercatcher/jackdaw/mallard/black headed gull/feral pigeon/shelduck/redshank/curlew/teal

Attachments

• lssbg.JPG
    lssbg.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 72
  • chafinch.jpg
    chafinch.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 74
  • chaffinch.JPG
    chaffinch.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 58
  • reedbunting.JPG
    reedbunting.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 71
Popped down to the park this afternoon for a few hours. Bottom end of the park around Buzzard Wood was quite productive, but apart from dog-walkers there wasn't much around the top half except at the Lochan. Ended up with 31 species.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull (1 at lochan), Blue Tit, Bullfinch (1 male), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull (2 in burn outflow), Dunnock, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel (1 male hunting quite near me - came up with something in its talons but very small), Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet (4), Long tailed Tit (pair at Buzzard Wood), Mallard, Meadow Pipit (at least 3 by Buzzard Wood), Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtal, Redshank, Reed Bunting (at least 3 - 1 male, 2 females), Robin, Shelduck, Snipe (2 flushed together from below flooded hedge in front of Buzzard Wood), Song Thrush, Starling, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Heard what sounded a lot like a Moorhen calling a couple of times from the flooded area in Buzzard Wood but couldn't see anything through the vegetation. Would be a new bird for the park if it could be confirmed.

More detail on my blog..
http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/not-quite-spring-yet-23314.html

Attachments

• DSC_9664 20140323_154200 .jpg
    DSC_9664 20140323_154200 .jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_9668 20140323_154233 .jpg
    DSC_9668 20140323_154233 .jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_9699 20140323_171343 .jpg
    DSC_9699 20140323_171343 .jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Spent an initially frustrating 3 and 3/4 hours at the park but ended the day with two year-ticks and a new bird for the park. Spent ages trying to see the Moorhen I thought I had heard on the 23rd, this time in the flooded wood by the car park, but drew a blank although it appeared to be two birds (both calling within seconds of each other on either side of where I was). A male Kestrel showed well on the telegraph poles by the road. A few Song Thrushes, Yellowhammers and Long Tailed Tits were quite conspicuous.

I could hear Chiffchaff calling but didn't manage to find any in the park (did get one later on the far side of the railway line). 10 Pink Footed Geese were well out on the mud in the Tay. A Magpie was in the trees near the hide. A Swallow overflew the hill heading westwards. A nice surprise and a sign my luck was changing. Headed back to the car park flood and eventually managed to see movement on the far side and through binoculars see the white broken line on the flanks of a Moorhen. A new patch tick for me and the list.

Headed out of the park to try and find Chiffchaff just as the rain came on. Eventually succeeded in picking one up calling from a tree in someone's back garden on the north side of the railway line, though the trees between me and it made getting focus for a photo nigh on impossible.

36 species (+ Chiffchaff) seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Curlew, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Skylark, Song Thrush, Starling, Swallow, Teal, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer

135. Moorhen

More detail here...
http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/new-arrivals5414.html

Attachments

• DSC_9764 20140405_142344 .jpg
    DSC_9764 20140405_142344 .jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_9759 20140405_141103 .jpg
    DSC_9759 20140405_141103 .jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_9725 20140405_114455 .jpg
    DSC_9725 20140405_114455 .jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I was left carless today so I persuaded somebody to drop me off at the park just after 10 in the rain ,I was there for 5 hours and I think the rain gave up for 30 mins in total,the smaller birds are now spread throughout the park ,I missed a few good photo opportunity's because of the rain mainly with yellowhammer and reed buntings, I couldn't locate the moorhens but did hear one calling,while at the hide I heard a chiffchaff calling in the distance,i went out the park and ended up beside the house with the burn running along side it,the chiffchaff was not seen but was certainly calling from the largest tree on the right,jackdaws were plucking hair from the highland cattle for nesting material,the red one seems to be the preferable one,i also saw a wren flying in and out its domed nest with white feathers,i think the feathers are from black headed gulls ,it certainly was getting a lot of them,12 shell ducks were in front of the hide and a male goosander swam down the burn fed for a while then returned heading through the tunnel,im not sure how many territories the skylarks have in the park but there seems to be more birds singing this year,I walked through the technology park heading towards the south road to check out the recently reported waxwings,no waxwings about but I seen a nice calling male bullfinch

birds in order seen
blackbird/woodpigeon/linnet/carrion crow/herring gull/robin/oystercatcher/jackdaw/redshank/lesser black backed gull/black headed gull/common gull x2/mute swan/cormorant/shell duck/teal/mallard/feral pigeon/reed bunting/chaffinch/yellowhammer/long tailed tit/ goldfinch/goosander/starling/greenfinch/wren/blue tit/dunnock/goldcrest/song thrush/skylark/pied wagtail/buzzard

Attachments

• cattle.JPG
    cattle.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 71
  • mallard.JPG
    mallard.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 57
  • garden.JPG
    garden.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 78
  • bullfinch.JPG
    bullfinch.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 72
Popped down to the park on Sunday for a few hours, but the strong wind meant that there was very little around, or at least visible. Only managed 20 species.

Carrion Crow, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Snipe (3), Song Thrush, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Rarest sighting was a dog actually on a lead.

Hello, went to reserve today, first time I have visited Riverside.

Day list

Grey heron, Mute swan, shelduck,Teal, mallard, oystercatcher,buzzard, curlew, redshank, blackbird, song thrush, chaffinch, blue tit, long tailed tit, lesser black back gull, herring gull, jackdaw, carrion crow, dunnock, greenfinch,wood pigeon, feral pigeon, wren, goldfinch, skylark, reed bunting,meadow pipit.

Heard but not seen, robin, chiffchaff & moorhen.

Last edited:
Hi David - welcome to Birdforum.

Riverside's a nice little reserve, isn't it.... you had a good list too.

list

Stonefaction / Barry, can you help please.

I have been trying to gather together from past forum posts, the species list of birds seen on reserve . Is the attached list complete, or, as I suspect have I missed some?

Attachments

• Riverside list.xls
    37 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
hi David and welcome to bird forum

this is a great little place and only a 10 min drive from me too,i visit most weeks all year round and was really surprised at some of the species that have put in an appearance, I was there today and saw most of the birds you seen apart from the mutes,i also saw 5 that were not on your list,swallow/willow warbler/chiffchaff/yellowhammer/robin,the swallow (single bird)and the willow warbler were first of the year for me,a pair of shelduck were on the lochan,not their usual spot here,the chiffchaff is still calling at the hide and another bird was seen at the east end,there was a female chaffinch with a nasty growth on its right leg at buzzard wood,(see first pic)the bird couldn't use the infected leg and was hoping about ,it spent a lot of time lying on the branches,i photographed a chaffinch lying on a branch at the same spot on the 17/03/14 ,it looks like it may be the same bird,it had a grub in its beak today so at least its feeding

Attachments

• chaffinch.JPG
    chaffinch.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 104
  • robin2.JPG
    robin2.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 59
  • shelduck.JPG
    shelduck.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 83
  • yellwhammer.JPG
    yellwhammer.JPG