• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins are flycatchers? (2 Viewers)

Where is the OD of Erythropygia coryphoeus eurina Clancey, 1969?

Clancey PA. 1969. Miscellaneous taxonomic notes on African birds. XXVII. 4. An adjustment to the names of Erythropygia coryphaeus (Lesson) forms. Durban Museum Novitates, 8 (15): 240‐241.

Issue 15 is lacking in Sabinet, unfortunately.
Snippet view in Google Books: Durban Museum Novitates

Snippet view in Google Books: Durban Museum Novitates

4. AN ADJUSTMENT TO THE NAMES OF ERYTHROPYGIA CORYPHAEUS (LESSON) FORMS

In the Ostrich, vol. xxx, 1, 1959, pp. 42-44, I reviewed the variation exhibited by the Karoo Scrub Robin Erythropygia coryphaeus (Lesson), and admitted three races as follows: E.c.coryphaeus (Lesson), 1831: Uitenhage, eastern Cape, E.c.abbotti Friedmann, 1932: Berseda, Great Namaqualand, South-West Africa, and E.c.cinerea Macdonald, 1952: 16 miles N. of Port Nolloth, north-western Cape. The recent receipt of a short series of freshly moulted (April-July, 1967 and 1968) specimens from the Port Elizabeth district of the eastern Cape, these exact topotypes of E.c.coryphaeus, indicates that race (b), E.c.abbotti, of my revision is actually the nominotypical subspecies, with the name abbotti a synonym. Freshly moulted examples from Port Elizabeth are not distinguishable from others in comparable dress from as far to the north-west as Pofadder, in Bushmanland, and Kuruman, in the northern Cape. The topotypical as opposed to the referred populations of abbotti may be subspecifically discrete on the basis of a paler and redder-brown mantle colour, but our South-West African material is too limited at the present time to pursue this matter.

In the meantime, a name is required for race (c), E.c.coryphaeus, of my revision, and I propose

Erythropygia coryphaeus eurina, subsp. nov.​

Type: ♂, first winter. "Glen Lyon" Farm, Glen, Modder R., Orange Free State. Collected by R. R. Davidson, 9 June, 1960. In the collection of the Durban Museum. D.M.Reg. No. 3948.

Diagnosis: Differs from E.c.coryphaeus (the abbotti of my 1959 revision) in having the head-top, nape and hind neck warmer and browner, less grey, and mantle, scapulars and rump buffy Olive-Brown (pl. xl), not Brownish Olive (pl. xxx) with greyish overlay. Below, with white mesial throat streak more laterally constricted; breast less greyish, more suffused with Buffy Brown (pl. xl), and sides of body and flanks much redder (Tawny-Olive (pl. xxix), versus Avellaneous (pl. xl)).

Range: The lowlands of Lesotho, the western half of the Orange Free State, the south-western Transvaal, West Griqualand and the Asbestos Mts., and the north-eastern Cape. The influence of this is observable in samples from Kenhardt, in the north-central Cape, and from the extreme south-east of the species' range at Committees, Great Fish R., eastern Cape.

Incidentally, the derivation of this name is not quite clear to me. The Key explains it as:
eurina
Gr. ευ eu fine, good; ῥις rhis, ῥινος rhinos nose.
...but the description makes no reference whatsoever to the bird's bill (or nose), and I'm struggling to reconcile this with a derivation from ῥις.
(What about: Gr. ευ eu fine, good; ῥινος rhinos, skin, instead ? Possibly in reference to the fact that the receipt of freshly moulted specimens by the author was what resulted in the description of the taxon.)

Seki, S.-I. (2023)
Genetic structure of the Japanese Robin (Larvivora akahige) endemic to East Asian islands
Ibis (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1111/ibi.13197

Geographical isolation is a key factor in allopatric speciation although divergence with gene flow has been detected in an increasing number of studies, even in island systems. To understand the divergence in island taxa, it is necessary to examine historical gene flow with mainland sister groups, which largely differ due to the various geological and ecological characteristics of each region. The Izu Islands are a chain of young and active volcanic islands in a warm-temperate climate zone that branch off from the middle of the Japanese mainland. Despite the chain's relatively limited isolation, given its proximity to the mainland, the Izu Islands feature endemic bird species and subspecies. The Japanese Robin Larvivora akahige is an endemic breeder on East Asian islands, and there is also a subspecies on the Izu Islands that is different in feather colouration and ecological traits. The population genetic structure of this robin was investigated using nine nuclear microsatellite markers and mitochondrial cytochrome b region sequences. Distinct and recent differentiation between the groups from the Izu Islands and mainland was detected from nuclear loci, although the genetic structure within the mainland group was unclear over the 1900 km habitat chain. The mitochondrial haplotypes were divided into two distant clades, one dominated throughout the robin's range and the other coexisted only on the Izu Islands as a minor type. Those clades were inferred to have diverged independent of the recent differentiation of the two nuclear clusters, although their origins and the mechanism underlying their distribution remain unclear. The geographical characteristics of the Izu Islands may have formed a moderate but long-lasting barrier for gene flow and promoted speciation, as well as serving as a refugia for the preservation of relict lineages, particularly for migratory species which usually move along the mainland chain.

I’m a bit perplexed regarding current treatment of Muscicapa flycatchers and allies.

Multiple studies have shown generic reshuffling to be necessary, as implemented by eBird/Clements some years back. For some reason, IOC has yet to act.

Adding to the conundrum, WGAC claims to have gone through Muscicapidae and on Avibase (which seems to be up to date om WGAC decisions) at least Böhm’s, Sooty and Usher’s have been moved out of Muscicapa. However, Tessman’s, Olivaceous and Ashy remain in Muscicapa, which doesn’t make sense genetically (eBird/Clements place them in Fraseria).

A mess, to say the least. Anyone has any insight here?

I’m a bit perplexed regarding current treatment of Muscicapa flycatchers and allies.

Multiple studies have shown generic reshuffling to be necessary, as implemented by eBird/Clements some years back. For some reason, IOC has yet to act.

Adding to the conundrum, WGAC claims to have gone through Muscicapidae and on Avibase (which seems to be up to date om WGAC decisions) at least Böhm’s, Sooty and Usher’s have been moved out of Muscicapa. However, Tessman’s, Olivaceous and Ashy remain in Muscicapa, which doesn’t make sense genetically (eBird/Clements place them in Fraseria).

A mess, to say the least. Anyone has any insight here?
I am confused about the avibase comment. The WGAC checklist is not on Avibase, and while they are posting updates to other checklists, they are the same ones being posted by IOC or Clements. So I don't think there is any sort of extra special clarification Avibase provides.

Current proposals seem to be aimed at resolving differences in what species are recognized. I haven't seen as much effort so far placed on resolving conflict in genera. That might be further off. I asked the IOC folks some times back about the Charadrius issue, and there reply was that they didn't want to make those revisions while the update process was going on. Might be something similar going on with Muscicapidae.

I am confused about the avibase comment. The WGAC checklist is not on Avibase, and while they are posting updates to other checklists, they are the same ones being posted by IOC or Clements. So I don't think there is any sort of extra special clarification Avibase provides.

Current proposals seem to be aimed at resolving differences in what species are recognized. I haven't seen as much effort so far placed on resolving conflict in genera. That might be further off. I asked the IOC folks some times back about the Charadrius issue, and there reply was that they didn't want to make those revisions while the update process was going on. Might be something similar going on with Muscicapidae.
The checklist isn't per se, but the WGAC position is noted under each species.

The WGAC status may simply reflect the IOC status at the moment in some cases, as IOC provided the baseline list that the WGAC is using as a starting point. It may or may not have significance for the final list. I'm not sure, as I noted above, that they are tackling higher level taxonomy at the moment, including reconciling differences in genera.

Although if this is being kept up to date with WGAC decisions, it's got some interesting information. I note that Scarlet Flycatcher and Franklin's Grouse are not recognized by the WGAC (The former still recognized by IOC), but Myrtle Warbler, American Barn Owl, and Mangrove Warbler are. All three of those species belong to lists which WGAC has allegedly completed review on. Although all of those might be waiting for NACC proposals before reflecting any actual changes. For instance Lemon-rumped Tanager is still recognized by WGAC, despite a proposal to lump it recently added to the IOC page, and I think it has already been voted down by SACC.

The WGAC status may simply reflect the IOC status at the moment in some cases, as IOC provided the baseline list that the WGAC is using as a starting point. It may or may not have significance for the final list. I'm not sure, as I noted above, that they are tackling higher level taxonomy at the moment, including reconciling differences in genera.

Although if this is being kept up to date with WGAC decisions, it's got some interesting information. I note that Scarlet Flycatcher and Franklin's Grouse are not recognized by the WGAC (The former still recognized by IOC), but Myrtle Warbler, American Barn Owl, and Mangrove Warbler are. All three of those species belong to lists which WGAC has allegedly completed review on. Although all of those might be waiting for NACC proposals before reflecting any actual changes. For instance Lemon-rumped Tanager is still recognized by WGAC, despite a proposal to lump it recently added to the IOC page, and I think it has already been voted down by SACC.
Guess we’ll just have to wait and see! 🙂

We, Andrew Tilsley and myself, are pleased to announce that our article: A replacement name for Salsolicola Oatley, 2004 (Aves: Muscicapidae), preoccupied by Salsolicola Kuznetsov, 1960 (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae), is published in the journal Zootaxa.

Tilsley Andrew and Gaudin Jimmy (2023). A replacement name for Salsolicola Oatley, 2004 (Aves: Muscicapidae), preoccupied by Salsolicola Kuznetsov, 1960 (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Zootaxa 5271 (1): 196–200.

Say hello to Karoocichla nomen novum
Type species: Sylvia coryphoeus Vieillot, 1817 (now Aedonopsis coryphoeus, or Karoocichla coryphoeus)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back