• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins are flycatchers? (4 Viewers)

I think "the Bornean C. ruficauda population" are now C. ruficrissa, and C. ruficauda is no longer "found outside the Philippine archipelago".
(The split doesn't seem to have been based on genetic data, however.)

I think "the Bornean C. ruficauda population" are now C. ruficrissa, and C. ruficauda is no longer "found outside the Philippine archipelago".
(The split doesn't seem to have been based on genetic data, however.)
To tell the truth, It’s the following extract that interests me.

"but were related to Philippine endemics Vauriella (Rhinomyias/Cyornis) albigularis"
I believe this is the only study that mentions Vauriella albigularis

How were they able to identify it as albigularis ?
The voucher associated to the sequence ("KU 15317") is listed as "Vauriella (Rhinomyias/Cyornis) albigularis" in the suppl. mat. of the study -- maybe they initially ID'd is as such, and doubt arose after the publication of the paper, for some reason...? I can't tell for sure.
(It might conceivably be trivial, I guess -- e.g., a consequence of no Cyornis albigularis being recognized in the NCBI taxonomy. But, without a clear explanation, I'd treat the ID of this bird with a bit of caution.)

Last edited:
The voucher associated to the sequence ("KU 15317") is listed as "Vauriella (Rhinomyias/Cyornis) albigularis" in the suppl. mat. of the study -- maybe they initially ID'd is as such, and doubt arose after the publication of the paper, for some reason...? I can't tell for sure.
(It might conceivably be trivial, I guess -- e.g., a consequence of no Cyornis albigularis being recognized in the NCBI taxonomy. But, without a clear explanation, I'd treat the ID of this bird with a bit of caution.)
It is listed as being collected on Panay, so there is a very limited number of confusion species, none at all likely.

IIRC (I don't have the book with me just now) Delacour and Mayr lumped goodfellowi, albigularis and insignis as one species

Delacour & Mayr 1946 (Birds of the Philippines) lumped goodfellowi and insignis, calling them "Two very distinct races" of Rhinomyias insignis. (They made albigularis a ssp of Rhinomyias ruficauda.)

Here (warning : large file).

Last edited:
Delacour & Mayr 1946 (Birds of the Philippines) lumped goodfellowi and insignis, calling them "Two very distinct races" of Rhinomyias insignis. (They made albigularis a ssp of Rhinomyias ruficauda.)

Here (warning : large file).
Thanks. I only recalled a part of it correctly then :( The Philippine avifauna has yet to fully recover from the lumping bonanza of the 20th century.

Kritika M. Garg, Chyi Yin Gwee, Balaji Chattopadhyay, Nathaniel S. Ng, Dewi M. Prawiradilaga, Gabriel David, Jérôme Fuchs, Hung Le Manh, Jonathan Martinez, Urban Olsson, Vuong Tan Tu, Sophea Chhin, Per Alström, Fumin Lei, Frank E. Rheindt (2023). When colors mislead: genomics and bioacoustics prompt re-classification of Asian flycatcher radiation (Aves: Niltavinae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2023, 107999.

Abstract
Traditional classification of many animals, including birds, has been highly dependent on external morphological characters like plumage coloration. However, both bioacoustics and genetic or genomic data have revolutionized our understanding of the relationships of certain lineages and led to sweeping taxonomic re-organizations. In this study, we present a case of erroneous delimitation of genus boundaries in the species-rich flycatcher subfamily Niltavinae. Genera within this subfamily have historically been delineated based on blue versus brown male body plumage until recent studies based on a few mitochondrial and nuclear loci unearthed several cases of generic misclassification. Here we use extensive bioacoustic data from 43 species and genomic data from 28 species for a fundamental reclassification of species in the Niltavinae. Our study reveals that song is an important trait to classify these birds even at the genus level, whereas plumage traits exhibit ample convergence and have led to numerous historic misattributions. Our taxonomic re-organization leads to new biogeographic limits of major genera, such that the genus Cyornis now only extends as far east as the islands of Sulawesi, Sula, and Banggai, whereas Eumyias is redefined to extend far beyond Wallace’s Line to the islands of Seram and Timor. Our conclusions advise against an over-reliance on morphological traits and underscore the importance of integrative datasets.

Last edited:
Kritika M. Garg, Chyi Yin Gwee, Balaji Chattopadhyay, Nathaniel S. Ng, Dewi M. Prawiradilaga, Gabriel David, Jérôme Fuchs, Hung Le Manh, Jonathan Martinez, Urban Olsson, Vuong Tan Tu, Sophea Chhin, Per Alström, Fumin Lei, Frank E. Rheindt (2023). When colors mislead: genomics and bioacoustics prompt re-classification of Asian flycatcher radiation (Aves: Niltavinae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2023, 107999.

Abstract
Traditional classification of many animals, including birds, has been highly dependent on external morphological characters like plumage coloration. However, both bioacoustics and genetic or genomic data have revolutionized our understanding of the relationships of certain lineages and led to sweeping taxonomic re-organizations. In this study, we present a case of erroneous delimitation of genus boundaries in the species-rich flycatcher subfamily Niltavinae. Genera within this subfamily have historically been delineated based on blue versus brown male body plumage until recent studies based on a few mitochondrial and nuclear loci unearthed several cases of generic misclassification. Here we use extensive bioacoustic data from 43 species and genomic data from 28 species for a fundamental reclassification of species in the Niltavinae. Our study reveals that song is an important trait to classify these birds even at the genus level, whereas plumage traits exhibit ample convergence and have led to numerous historic misattributions. Our taxonomic re-organization leads to new biogeographic limits of major genera, such that the genus Cyornis now only extends as far east as the islands of Sulawesi, Sula, and Banggai, whereas Eumyias is redefined to extend far beyond Wallace’s Line to the islands of Seram and Timor. Our conclusions advise against an over-reliance on morphological traits and underscore the importance of integrative datasets.
Sounds very interesting!
Would love a copy if anyone has access?

Lan, G., J. Yu, J. Liu, Y. Zhang, R. Ma, Y. Zhou, B. Zhu, W. Wei, J. Liu, and G. Qi (2024)
Complete mitochondrial genome and phylogenetic analysis of Tarsiger indicus (Aves: Passeriformes: Muscicapidae)
Genes 15: 90
doi: 10.3390/genes15010090

Tarsiger indicus (Vieillot, 1817), the White-browed Bush Robin, is a small passerine bird widely distributed in Asian countries. Here, we successfully sequenced its mitogenome using the Illumina Novaseq 6000 platform (Illumina, San Diego, CA, USA) for PE 2 × 150 bp sequencing. Combined with other published mitogenomes, we conducted the first comprehensive comparative mitogenome analysis of Muscicapidae birds and reconstructed the phylogenetic relationships between Muscicapidae and related groups. The T. indicus mitogenome was 16,723 bp in size, and it possessed the typical avian mitogenome structure and organization. Most PCGs of T. indicus were initiated strictly with the typical start codon ATG, while COX1 and ND2 were started with GTG. RSCU statistics showed that CUA, CGA, and GCC were relatively high frequency in the T. indicus mitogenome. T. cyanurus and T. indicus shared very similar mitogenomic features. All 13 PCGs of Muscicapidae mitogenomes had experienced purifying selection. Specifically, ATP8 had the highest rate of evolution (0.13296), whereas COX1 had the lowest (0.01373). The monophylies of Muscicapidae, Turdidae, and Paradoxornithidae were strongly supported. The clade of ((Muscicapidae + Turdidae) + Sturnidae) in Passeriformes was supported by both Bayesian Inference and Maximum likelihood analyses. The latest taxonomic status of many passerine birds with complex taxonomic histories were also supported. For example, Monticola gularis, T. indicus, and T. cyanurus were allocated to Turdidae in other literature; our phylogenetic topologies clearly supported their membership in Muscicapidae; Paradoxornis heudei, Suthora webbiana, S. nipalensis, and S. fulvifrons were formerly classified into Muscicapidae; we supported their membership in Paradoxornithidae; Culicicapa ceylonensis was originally classified as a member of Muscicapidae; our results are consistent with a position in Stenostiridae. Our study enriches the genetic data of T. indicus and provides new insights into the molecular phylogeny and evolution of passerine birds.

Guy M. Kirwan, Hein van Grouw, and Mei-Ru Su (2024) Confusing female Taiwanese Tarsiger bush robins and designation of a lectotype for Ianthia johnstoniae Ogilvie-Grant, 1906.
Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club 144: 96-100.
Confusing female Taiwanese Tarsiger bush robins and designation of a lectotype for Ianthia johnstoniae Ogilvie-Grant, 1906

Abstract
Recent research reveals that the original series, a male and female, used to describe Ianthia johnstoniae Ogilvie-Grant, 1906 (= Collared Bush Robin Tarsiger johnstoniae), held in the Natural History Museum, Tring, is mixed. The male is a Collared Bush Robin, but the female is an example of the morphologically very similar White-browed Bush Robin T. indicus formosanus. Because the syntypes represent two different species and in order to fix the identity on the universally understood taxonomic concept associated with T. johnstoniae, we select as its lectotype the unambiguously identified male specimen (NHMUK 1907.12.12.39).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back