• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB pin badges (6 Viewers)

Hello all, One of these pin boxes has just been put in my local pub and already I am hooked on collecting them. It's costing me a fortune but it's fun and always pleasing finding new ones when the box is topped up. I do have a question though. I have 5 birds (Jay, Golden Eagle, Long Tailed Tit, Cirl Bunting and a Lapwing) on the green 'million voices' cards, but they do not have the bird name on the card. It is just blank under the logo. Does anyone know if there is any reason for this?
Thanks
Rick

Hello all, One of these pin boxes has just been put in my local pub and already I am hooked on collecting them. It's costing me a fortune but it's fun and always pleasing finding new ones when the box is topped up. I do have a question though. I have 5 birds (Jay, Golden Eagle, Long Tailed Tit, Cirl Bunting and a Lapwing) on the green 'million voices' cards, but they do not have the bird name on the card. It is just blank under the logo. Does anyone know if there is any reason for this?
Thanks
Rick

I'd guess production cost.

Here is my collecction to date please note all my badges have been brought from RSPB outlets.
I do go onto the internet and look for pin badges but have noticed the prices and you can't garantee that the money is going to the RSPB so here we go with the list -

Agile Gibbon, Wandering Albatross, Argus Pheasant, Avocet (standing), Badger, Barn Owl, Barnacle Goose (standing), Bearded Tit, Bee Eater, Bittern (standing), Black Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bull Finch, Buzzard (flying), Buzzard (standing), Chaffinch, Cirl Bunting, Clouded Leopard, Comma Butterfly, Common Crane, Common Tern, Damselfly, Dartford Warbler, Dipper, Dolphin, Eider Duck, Fox, Gannet (flying), Goldcrest, Golden Eagle (flying), Golden Eagle (standing), Golden Oriole, Goldeneye, Gold Finch, Great Crested Grebe, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Green Finch, Grey Heron, Hedgehog, Highland Cow, Hobby, Holly Blue BUtterfly, House Sparrow, Hummingbird Hawkmoth, Jay, Kestrel, Kingfisher, Kittiwake, Lapwing (head), lapwing (flying), Leatherback Turtle, Little Egret, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Marsh Harrier, Merlin, Mute Swan, Orange Tip Butterfly, Orca, Osprey (flying), Osprey (standing), Oystercatcher, Peregrine (head), Peregrine (standing), Pied Wagtail, Pine Martin, Pink Footed Goose (flying), Pintail, Pipistrelle Bat, Ptarmigan, Puffin, Raft Spider, Razorbill, Red Deer Stag, Red Kite, Red Naped Tragopan, Red Squirrel, Rhinoceros Hornbill, Ringed Plover, Sand Lizard, Scottish Wildcat, Seahorse, Shag, Sky Lark Snowy Owl (flying), Snowy Owl (standing), Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Spoonbill, Starfish, Starling, Sumatran Tiger, Sumatran Elephant, Sun Bear, Tawny Owl, Teal, Turtle Dove, Velvet Crab, Waxwing, White Hare, White Tailed Eagle, Wren, Yellowhammer,

If anyone could point me in the right direction so as to get the ones missing from my collection I would be forever grateful must be RSPB place of sale though

Kind Regards

Adrian

My mum had a couple of these and decided to give them to me to start collecting, and then a colleague gave me the flying Snowy Owl badge and it's gone on from there. I get mine mostly from three garden centres near my parents' home and also from Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve. There are a few that I'd really like to get: Crested Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Green Woodpecker, for example (I only collect the British bird species), but so far I've managed to stop myself buying through eBay.

My list so far (about 1 year of collecting):

Avocet, Barn Owl, Bearded Tit, Bittern, Blackbird, Black Grouse, Black-tailed Godwit, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard (flying), Chaffinch, Common Crane, Common Tern, Dipper, Eider, Gannet, Goldcrest, Golden Eagle (standing), Golden Eagle (flying), Goldfinch, Great Crested Grebe, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Hobby, House Sparrow, Jay, Kestrel, Kingfisher, Kittiwake, Lapwing, Magpie, Marsh Harrier, Merlin, Nuthatch, Osprey, Oystercatcher, Peregrine (standing), Peregrine (head), Pied Wagtail, Pintail, Ptarmigan, Puffin, Red Kite, Ringed Plover, Robin, Shag, Snowy Owl (flying), Snowy Owl (standing), Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Spoonbill, Starling, Stonechat, Tawny Owl, Tree Sparrow, Turtle Dove, White-tailed Eagle.

Help required where do I get the Save the Vultures pin badges from (I will not buy from e-bay as the seller does not have the charity ribbon on there selling brief)
New for this year are the following - Great bustard, Long Eared Owl, Shelduck and Tufted Duck as to what I can see

Kind Regards

Adrian

BCB

As for how to get missing ones - there is an RSPB pin collector's group, or I will get specific requests on poeple's behalf if available - but only singles for people's own collections. PM me if neccessary.

New Badges now out in the boxes include -

Fieldfare, Redwing, Siskin, Riendeer, Holly, Mistletoe, Long Eared Owl, Long Tailed Tit (new design), Shelduck, Tufted Duck, Waxwing (new design) & Dormouse

The following badges are now dis continued

Albatross, Avocet (beside pool), Bearded Tit, Bee Eater, Bittern (standing), Black Tailed Godwit (standing), Black Winged Stilt, Brent Goose, Buzzard (standing), Chough (flying), Cirl Bunting, Common Tern, Cuckoo, Dartford Warbler, Goldcrest, Golden Eagle (standing), Golden Eagle (flying), Golden Oriole, Great Crested Grebe, Green Finch, Hen Harrier, House Sparrow, Jay, Kittiwake, Lapwing (flying), Lapwing (head), Long Tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Osprey (standing), Oystercatcher, Peregrine Falcon (standing), Peregrine Falcon (head), Pied Wagtail, Red Kite, Ringed Plover, Shag, Skylark, Snowy Owl (flying), Stone Curlew, Tree Sparrow, Turtle Dove, Wigeon (swimming), Wigeon (standing), Yellowhammer, Fallow Deer, Natterjack Toad, Peacock Butterfly, Red Admiral Butterfly, Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly, Swallowtailed Butterfly & Cuckoo Wrasse

Hope this update helps everyone on here that collect the RSPB pin badges

Will update with the collectors club and special badges later.

Kind Regards

Adrian

Thoroughly disgusted with the RSPB on deciding to close down the pin badge collectors group come March 13.The only way to get new badges is at reserves (at Titchwell last week they had no new stepping up for nature (sufn) badges),or bay the RSPB auctions on EBay.So whats the problem,not all produced badges will be made available for eBay auction ie special reserve badges for say Cornish Choughs can't be bought from anywhere but Cornwall,this will mean eBay 'scalpers'will eBay them for inflated prices and Rspb loose out on profit .It also means instead of 100 international badges produced by birdlife international partners being made available at £5 to each member only a few will be made available with fellow ex collectors bidding against one another.It just smacks of profiteering as the group has raised £156,00 over the years it a shoddy way of treating members.There is also some flannel that they can't sell them on their online shop ,to do with VAT but have no problem with eBay.Grrr rant over for now.

This is a real shame. I asked for info in the summer about joining the group and the only reason I didn't join there and then was because they told me the membership runs to the end of the current calendar year, so I was going to join in January to make full use of the membership.

It's a shame there are so many people on eBay making personal profit off the back of a charity. I confess that I have bought them via eBay before, but I always keep my bidding low enough that - assuming the seller paid at least £1 for the badge in the first place, and including reasonable postage and packing costs - they won't make more than a few pence out of the sale. There are also some sellers who set it that the money from the sale goes directly to the RSPB anyway, so I tend to try to buy from them as much as possible. I saw one badge listed by a hardcore private reseller with a Buy-it-Now price of £40 last week. Shameful.

I have recently been purchasing from the collectors club and too will miss the club but I have noticed that on E-BAY in the RSPB pin badges that there are certain I.D. names coming up regular and the buy now prices are to say the least A RIP OFF.

I will only now bid on any RSPB badge for sale that carries the following a ribbon in Blue & Yellow which indicates the item is for charity and also the sellers ID states RSPB

Hope this helps

Hi

Agree whole heartedly with everyone, I'm one of the volunteers who fills and collects the money from the boxes and even we cant get all the bog standard ones never mind the rarities. They are bringing 6 new ones out shortly, Bluebell,ammonite, brimstone, Adder, Little Tern and Linnet, officially you cant buy them yet but the RSPB have been selling them on ebay at inflated prices. Its just taking the mick out of their regular customers. I recently wrote and complained about how we were treated, they didn't have the courtesy to reply, they just passed my letter onto the collectors group which is closing down.
Can anyone help me I need a Welsh Cob for the full set of the Welsh 100 I have tried everwhere even been down Wales to various venues with no luck non on ebay

I see there are many badges being listed on eBay as “rare” and doubt very much as to whether some sellers are qualified to make such a statement, unless it can be supported by documented evidence.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back