• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Selling el 8x32 second hand binoculars. (3 Viewers)

Rochdaleblade

United Kingdom
I am helping my mum dispose of some of my late fathers things. She has a pair of Swarowski EL 8x32 binoculars that are in excellent condition. I genuinely have no idea where is the best place to sell them or what would be a realistic price to ask for. I would greatly appreciate any advice that people are able to give me, as my mother could use the money.

Hi Rochdaleblade,

Moose's advice about searching on eBay makes sense.

To help keep things clear, there are two different models of 8x32 EL binoculars:
• the original EL made from 2003 to 2011, and;
• an all new EL SV made from 2011 to 2020.

The image shows the x42 versions, with the original on the left:

EL vs EL SV .jpg

While they appear similar, optically they are different, and there will likely be a different price range for each.

John

Last edited:
Assuming that you live in Rochdale and assuming you drive

I would recommend driving to Focal Point Optics near Northwich in Cheshire (about an hour away). They are an authorised Swarovski dealer. I'm not employed there, they are simply my first choice for buying all my optics (I recently bought a pair of second hand EL 8x32 from them) and they have a great reputation. Ring first and book an appointment. The shop manager (Paul or Doc) will tell you everything you need to know about your binoculars and might be able to help you with an accurate price to enable you to get them sold.
Good Luck

Last edited:
I am helping my mum dispose of some of my late fathers things. She has a pair of Swarowski EL 8x32 binoculars that are in excellent condition. I genuinely have no idea where is the best place to sell them or what would be a realistic price to ask for. I would greatly appreciate any advice that people are able to give me, as my mother could use the money.
When I'm trying to get a rough idea of what a set of binoculars might bring in a private party sale, I look up that binocular on eBay, but skip the asking prices and (at least here in US) scroll down on the left and toggle "Sold" items. That usually gives you the price the sold for.
Don't forget: sellers do not net the full sold price. Out of the proceeds they pay eBay fees and sometimes shipping too.

Sorry to hear about your father. My dad only left his guitar and a large collection of old records, some of which may have some value.

Is it the EL an SV or pre-SV? That makes a difference in resale price. Also, what year was it made?

When I bought my pre-SV EL, I bought a 2010 model beacause it had all the latest Swaro coatings. I'm not sure how many know about that or care. I paid $1200 for it in 2020.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those who could not see or easily ignore the veiling glare, so I didn't keep it. But the ergonomics were made to order for my hands and the view, when I could see it, was superb.

Also, if it's an SV, now that the 8x32 SV EL is no longer being made, that might increase the price due to higher demand on the used market.

Brock

I'd use caution with eBay other than for getting an idea of the price you can expect. The commission is generally quite high, if I'm selling on there I will wait till I get a decent offer through from them before listing. Other selling sites are better value but more risk - e.g Facebook etc.

Trade in value from a shop will be quite significantly below actual value- they have to make money after all!

Will

Selling binoculars on ebay is generally ok and is a lot better than selling phones. Just be honest with the condition, lots of photos and make sure you wait for an offer of the reduction in fvf otherwise you'll take a bath. Send well packaged fully tracked/insured.

i would think a realistic price second hand would be 750 to 850 pounds do you know the approximate age of them please dave

i would think a realistic price second hand would be 750 to 850 pounds do you know the approximate age of them please dave
They were bought in 2019 just before covid. Due to that and my father losing a lot of his mobility in his later years, I believe they have never been used as they and the accessories are still in their boxes.

If they are a 2019 model, (assuming bought in the year of production) they are worth substantially more than 850 pounds. I would say between $1,350 - $1,450 if they show evidence of minimal use. Do not sell yourself short here, these are a much desired glass in the bino market based on their performance and rarity since they are not produced anymore.

They were bought in 2019 just before covid. Due to that and my father losing a lot of his mobility in his later years, I believe they have never been used as they and the accessories are still in their boxes.
hi i live fairly local and would like to view to buy your binnoculars please could you email me to get in touch [email protected] very best regards dave

Hello; I am new to Bird Forum. Have scope and binocs to sell. Would you please tell me where I post those? Many thanks. Lobos Carol

I have a Swarovski ATS 65mm HD scope with AS65/80mm 20-60 Zoom eyepiece.
and Leica 10x42 BA binoculars. Both in as new condition. Scope in original box with all parts.
Tripod if wanted (no charge) is Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod Junior with one wonky leg but still works.

Hello; I am new to Bird Forum. Have scope and binocs to sell. Would you please tell me where I post those? Many thanks. Lobos Carol
Welcome, Lobos. There is a Classified section for this: above left, click Binoculars & Spotting Scopes, then Classifieds, then For Sale - Birding Optics. If you can't access it, you may need to make a few more posts first (that is or was a forum rule). Sales are based on trust, so being a new member is a challenge; tell a bit about yourself, where you got these, how a 25-year-old bin is still "as new", etc (BAs are much liked here). Photos help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back