• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

Came back today after spending two days hiking and tenting in Manusela national park, the first protected area in the Maluku region and also among the largest protected areas in Southern Indonesia.

I went there together with two of my cousins and a local guide, it was very hard to see any birds at all and because of the poor walking paths inside the park on two days we didn’t get far enough inside the park to reach the most remote places of Manusela which is said to be one of the best birding places in the Southern Moluccas, bird trapping on Seram is very intense and most birds only survive in these remoter parts these days, with a total list of 75 species I was quite satisfied anyway, also saw a good amount of lifers during this trip.

641. Forstens scrubfowl LIFER
642. Rufous-necked sparrowhawk LIFER
643. Spotted dove
644. Blue-eared lory LIFER
645. Purple-naped lory LIFER
646. Moluccan scops owl LIFER
647. Moluccan boobok LIFER
648. Pale cicadabird LIFER
649. Golden bulbul LIFER
650. Slender-billed crow LIFER
651. Moluccan thrush LIFER
652. Mountain tailorbird LIFER
653. Cinnamon-chested flycatcher LIFER
654. Slaty flycatcher LIFER
655. Moluccan starling LIFER
656. Seram honeyeater LIFER
657. Drab honeyeater LIFER
658. Scarlet honeyeater LIFER
659. Mountain white-eye LIFER
660. Rufescent dark-eye LIFER
661. Grey-hooded dark-eye LIFER
662. Black-faced munia LIFER

Added 7 birds to my year list today (and 4 to my life list*). ABA yr now at 192
Upland Sandpiper*
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow*
Le Conte's Sparrow*
Alder Flycatcher*
Northern Goshawk
Western Tanager
Ruffed Grouse

Other birds of note were:
Yellow Rail (heard only)
Great Gray Owl (2)
and best of all, a family of Northern Hawk Owls. Got to watch two adults catch voles and each feed a fledgling! What a sight.

Went to Cannock Chase today with D of E forgot my Bins but still saw and identified on call

142: Wood Warbler (L:190)
143: Tree Pipit (L:191)

Finally got a year bird this month and not only was it a lifer, now I've finally seen every woodpecker in Louisiana. ;)

159. Northern Flicker (lifer)

Gavin Haig said:
Saving Nightjar for later in the month.
Today was the day.....

First Greenshank of the year this morning, so made the effort for Nightjar this evening. Not that often I get 2 local yearticks on a June day.

Local yearlist stands at 167 now.

Ive been stuck on 117 for the past 3 weeks, but then, I havent been able to get out much. And I've forgot what No.117 is.

Anthony Britner said:
Ive been stuck on 117 for the past 3 weeks, but then, I havent been able to get out much. And I've forgot what No.117 is.
Anthony, sounds like you need to jot down a few notes from time to time! ;)

Hope you find some "good birds" whenever you get the time to be "out and about".

Cheers!

This morning I went on the "River Walk" here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. This is a nice, little paved trail (about one and a half mile) along the Missouri River in the northern part of the city.

249. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Lots of orioles and woodpeckers were around.

I haven't posted here for a while, but I'm now up to 201 with the addition of a lifer today.

201. White-tailed Hawk

It was a yard tick as well!

A pair of Ruddy Shelduck boosted the patch list to 168 for the year (7 or 8 up on this time last year).

Of course, some purists wouldn't tick Ruddy Shelduck, but I don't care what dross goes on my list just as long as the number gets bigger ;)

Had some local birds in Seattle, nothing fancy but did get an Osprey, 184.
185 Caspiean Tern
186 Least Sandpiper...90% sure.

Last edited:
301 Brown-crested Flycatcher Castroville Regional Park TX 04 Jun 2006 (LIFER)
302 Mute Swan CT: Cos Cob CT 07 Jun 2006
303 Bobolink Snyder Hill Road NY 10 Jun 2006
304 Bank Swallow Inglewood Bird Sanctuary AB 19 Jun 2006 (LIFER)
305 Magnificent Frigatebird Galveston Harbor TX 25 Jun 2006

144: Gannet

Went to Belgium with the school and got a couple of these in Dover saw some nice Med Gulls in Calais but thought that that was classed as France.

timmyjones said:
144: Gannet

Went to Belgium with the school and got a couple of these in Dover saw some nice Med Gulls in Calais but thought that that was classed as France.
Tim, it's just a year list, not a country list. Add the gull.;)

Today I drove to southwest Indiana to chase a mega-rarity for Indiana and the Midwest. I found my target (three of them, actually), bringing my Year List up to 462.

462. Wood Stork

Needless to say, this was an Indiana state lifer. In addition to the storks, I added Great Egret and Eurasian Collared-Dove to my Indiana Year List, which is now only up to 180.

Dave

fantastic evening at Chelmarsh resevoir:

124. arctic tern
125. green sandpiper
126. sedge warbler
127. lesser spotted woodpecker

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back