• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

Up to 156 uk for the year after some bonuses on my local patch. Whinchat, Wood Warbler (which are lifers) and Spotted Flycatcher which i haven't seen since a pair nested in my aunts garden in 1988 when i was 6.

Reached my goal for the year with a couple birds that don't come through Ithaca every year:

285. Hudsonian Godwit
286. Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Bit of a stormy day today produced a patch first for me - a Pomarine Skua, which completes the set of skuas for the year, and takes the yearlist on to 180. Last year I didn't get there until two months later.

This morning I saw my first new bird of the year in almost a month, bringing my Year List up to 487.

487. Black Tern

I also added Caspian Tern to my Indiana Year List, which is now at 194.

Dave

Not sure if Tropical Storm/Depression Ernesto had anything to do with it, but this morning I saw my life Sabine's Gull (287 ABA for 2006) in Ithaca, New York. This was bird 253 in New York since last August and bird 246 for the Cayuga Lake Basin.

a nice couple of days in Norfolk yielded:

144. grey plover
145. sanderling
146. knot
147. bar-tailed godwit
148. arctic skua
149. sandwich tern
150. spotted redshank
151. curlew sandpiper(lifer)
152. marsh harrier (lifer)
153. bearded tit (lifer)

154. ruff
155. little stint
156. common scoter
157. bittern
158. black tern (lifer)
159. lesser whitethroat (lifer)

Fall warbler migration is starting slowly but surely. I saw several species, one of which was new for the year. I ended up with two new year birds, bringing my Year List up to 489. Only 11 to go to get to 500. Might be tough to reach that milestone.

488. Chestnut-sided Warbler
489. Summer Tanager

For some strange reason, I've only seen Chestnut-sided Warblers in Indiana in the fall. I was also beginning to think I'd missed the tanager for the year.

Dave

Á four day long stay on Taliabu showed rewarding, it was also the last Island in the archepligeo for me, have covered all of the Sula Islands now, and I also managed to get the extremely rare masked-owl it was found in a cage at a logging consession, I ticked it as aim extremely unlikely to encounter it some other time.

637. Lesser fisheagle
638. Bare-eyed Myna LIFER
639. Red-and-black thrush LIFER
640. Taliabu masked-owl (captive juvenile bird)

Two more recently, both at Brandon Marsh, and both self-found!

163) Wood Sandpiper on Sunday, non-breeding plumage (L)
164) Curlew Sandpiper today, juvenile

I participated in the 10th annual Muckrace at the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge this weekend and ended up with three year birds:

288. Northern Saw-whet Owl
289. Lincoln's Sparrow
290. Yellow-throated Vireo

My birthday today, and got a nice lifer as a present!!!

294: BONAPARTES GULL (L)

Also picked up my second Pec Sand of the year! (both of these were at Slimbridge)

Spent the morning birding and picked up three new birds for the year, including an Indiana state lifer. My Year List is now up to 492.

490. Philadelphia Vireo
491. Swainson's Thrush
492. Blackburnian Warbler

I've been in Indiana for three years now, and I can't believe it took that long to get Swainson's Thrush on my Indiana List (number 258).

Dave

I know this is nuthin' but I saw a Brown Thrasher for the first time this year. An addition to my 'squeeny' little year list was not as big as the fact this was the first good look that I've had at one of those birds in almost 10yrs.

What a visit to the patch at lunchtime today, 2 year ticks incl. a patch life tick...

213 - Black Tern (10 of them, only just got them!!)
214 - Mediterranean Gull (brilliant patch lifer!!).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back