• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something doesn't look right here (1 Viewer)

topmate

Proud to be a bad birdwatcher
I've been looking for my first vaguely decent pair of binoculars today at my local supplier. With a £150 budget options were limited, but its time to replace my old Chinon 8x30's with something a little better!

I was aiming for a pair of 8x42's and had a few to choose from in the price range, most notably Olympus EXPS1 (porro), Opticron Discovery WP (roof) and Vanguard (didn't get model name of these, but they're roof's too).

I particularly liked the size and handling of the opticron's, but got a very strange effect of intermittent black areas at the edges of the view, as if I'd not adjusted the eyepieces to the correct distance apart for my eyes. I tried and tried and just couldn't stop these black areas from appearing.

I thought it was just the opticron's, but strangely then got the same effect on the Vanguard's, it didn't matter how I adjusted them, parts of the view intermittently went black. I then tried some binoculars outside of my price range, the Opticron Countryman, but these were even worse. The porro Olympus , however, were very easy indeed to set up right.

It's highly unlikely that a supplier would have 3 dodgy pairs of binoculars, especially from different manufacturers, so I can only assume that the problem with the roof prisms was me! I've only used roof prism binoculars once before and that was just a quick 30 second glimpse, so is there some trick that I'm missing, something that I'm not doing right to set the binoculars up right for me or is this a common problem with roof prisms as opposed to porros?

I'm somewhat confused and would appreciate input on this curious problem!

It does indeed seem that the eyecups were the culprit Henry.

The demo model I tried of the opticron discovery had stiff eyecups, so I'd thought I was pulling them all the way out when I wasn't! I tried with a stock pair and it worked a dream. Once I had it set up right I was very happy indeed with the quality of the image for the money, especially once I back to back tested them against my old pair.

Long and short of it is I'm now the proud owner of a pair of Opticron Discovery bins, which while they're a long way from top line are a real step up for me and will add a whole extra level of enjoyment I'm sure. To paraphrase a certain sig, the best binoculars are the one's you can actually afford to buy! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back