• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat or Whinchat ID, Notts, UK (1 Viewer)

Ben M

I have little (if any) experience with either species, but both species were recorded at this site (even the same area) yesterday by a reliable observer.

Earlier that morning, I saw a male Stonechat at sunrise, then this bird 20 minutes later. Through the bins I saw a bird that resembled a female/1st winter stone/winchat... (i.e. not an adult male Stonechat). The most obvious feature was a strong dark eye stripe (stronger than appears in the images).

The quality is poor because the image is composed of stills from footage taken with a camcorder hand-held up against 10x bins!

Does the pale wing panel, apparent in the images, rule out Winchat?

Are the images clear enough to suggest one over the other, or will this remain a mystery?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2007-10-10 - 07-23 - Pit_Tip - chat_species.jpg
    2007-10-10 - 07-23 - Pit_Tip - chat_species.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 196
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back