• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swar. 8x56 SL - Issues ? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I was with my brother yesterday, and comparing bins, and he had along
his 8x56 SL. I had my 8.5 EL, and some other choices, and we were checking out both of these.
I had never looked through the 8x56 SL and was expecting a very bright
view, but during a full sunlit day, they seemed very dim and uniformly gray.

The lenses were clean, and as he does not use these very often, I was
wondering if there may be something wrong with them.

Are these waterproof?
And do you think they may have a mold, fungus or other issue?
Any ideas or experience with the SL?

Hi Jerry, I have an old catalog from the eighties and I can not see anywhere that is said the SL series was WP, this is a sales catalog and not from Swarovski. The Swarovski 7x50 model came with a floatation strap so I am sure this SL series was supposed to be WP. Henry Link would know. This almost sounds like there is a problem inside this binocular, my catalog does say "Lifetime Guarantee On All Swarovski Binoculars". Zeiss came out with phase-coating in 1988 and there are Zeiss binoculars in this catalog with no mention on phase-coating, I would place the date of this catalog somewhere between 1986-1988. If 1988 Zeiss would take some time to have the new p-coated roofs on the market. Sorry I have never tried these, ordered my Swarovski 7x30 SLcompact out of this catalog, lost the receipt and never put date on catalog. They called the 8x30 SLC and 7x30SLC > 8x30WSL [ W = wide] Compact and 7x30 SL Compact and you could get them in Grey ore Green with a carry bag for $388 shipped. I bought the green version I think they call this the Mk I version. I bought the 7 for more exit pupil.
Regards, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back