• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro 80HD with 20-60x e/p; which camera? (1 Viewer)

Tz10

MJB I have an old Canon which I am considering changing. I originally was looking at the Lx3/5 but am intigued with the TZ10 which offers the option of a good distance/travel camera as well. The purist would say you cant use this camera because of the 12x zoom. How do you overcome this, could this be fitted to an adaptor or is hand holding the best bet.

I find that the 20-50 times eyepiece zoom on the Swarovski up to about 45 times is OK with the TZ10 at low camera zoom. (The camera lens barrel is held gently by the extended rubber eyepiece surround.) Conversely, at low scope zoom, you can use a higher TZ10 zoom, the results in both cases being very detailed. Just because the TZ10 has a 12 times zoom doesn't mean you have to use max zoom! At low light levels, the second approach offers better contrast. I'm practising by focussing on small buds on twigs about 20 metres away, and with practice, hand-held gives remarkable results; if I take 3 pictures quickly, one or perhaps two are very sharp. Viewing the higher-exposure results on-screen allows a good degree of enlargement before pixelation interferes. I hope that helps!
MJB

Jogresh
Try to contact Paul Hackett if you want to digiscope with your telescope....he's the man to advise you.
Adapters are always the issue, though with a Swarovski they have there own bits of kit - have a look in the Classifieds section....there was a DCA for sale by Black Kite 1634 recently but you would have to buy the appropriate Nikon Coolpix. There is also a similar post asking for which type of camera which you may find useful.
All on Birdforum, have a trawl through, it's all there.
You need to say whether your thinking of a DSLR, compact for use with your telescope.
Good luck

Last edited:
These are my first attempts at digiscoping with the swaro80hd atm,20x60 eyepiece, Swaro dca and nikon p6000. I know there not brill but you have too start off somewhere.Ger.

Attachments

• SSCN1745.JPG
    SSCN1745.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 88
  • SSCN1755.JPG
    SSCN1755.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 115
  • SSCN1757.JPG
    SSCN1757.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 94
  • SSCN1758.JPG
    SSCN1758.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 120
  • SSCN1756.JPG
    SSCN1756.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 113
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back