• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

well, my first attempt to put the strap on the NL was to push the knob directly through the strap on the bincular the same time (my fault, i didn't red the manual at that point 8-P) it came out it was (almost) impossible to attach the strap doing it that way. As some people don't read the manual it is just a reminder to help here.
After you have done everything as in your pics, were you able to push and turn the pin easily, or doing so required excessive force as it did in my case (my index finger still hurts....)

Holding the NL

The "wasp waist" shape of the NLs appears to require holding them the "seagull" style, like for porros, which leads to tired arms more quickly than for other roofs, and then the FRP might indeed be quite useful.

Better baffling for improved glare control, and a smoother focuser (the focus wheel of my example has a stiction issue when I turn it CCW)

I'm really curious where this information is coming from, as it seems highly unlikely to me.
My SN is 90 as well, and my focuser is the smoothest I have ever felt in a bino.

I can't imagine that Swarovski has changed the baffling from the SN 90 to the SN 10 batch, as they were introduced and delivered at the same time. (During the introduction I mean.)

After you have done everything as in your pics, were you able to push and turn the pin easily, or doing so required excessive force as it did in my case (my index finger still hurts....)

i used my thumb to push and turn the knob (i just did it again for the pics ;)). the turn is stiff, but not excessive (on mine by the way)

i used my thumb to push and turn the knob (i just did it again for the pics ;)). the turn is stiff, but not excessive (on mine by the way)
I guess you were lucky: pushing and turning with the thumb did not work at all in my case, I had to use the index finger as well. Btw, I am not speaking about mounting the strap, but the strap loop connectors (for using a standard strap).

I'm really curious where this information is coming from, as it seems highly unlikely to me.
My SN is 90 as well, and my focuser is the smoothest I have ever felt in a bino.

I can't imagine that Swarovski has changed the baffling from the SN 90 to the SN 10 batch, as they were introduced and delivered at the same time. (During the introduction I mean.)

In the original post (#726) I said "Maybe", it was wishful thinking.....but probably you're right, Swaro hasn't changed anything, it's just that different people see things differently.

Strongly seconded. That system is a dealbreaker for me, after I dropped my 10x30 CL twice because the pins came loose. In the end I expoxied them in.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hermann
On the new NL Swarovski tightened the FP attachment system up. There is no way it is coming off now. Putting it on the strap first by pushing it thru the plastic grommet makes no difference. The hard part is pushing down on it while turning it at the same time. It is a knuckle buster!

Last edited:
He's working on it, I hope we'll see it sooner than later--Henry?

Hi. These are the positions of rest and eyecups more ideal to me. I also publish a photo with the Zeiss SF to see the different sizes.
I often go to the two-storey tower of the LIPU oasis near the lake of VARESE- Lombardia
I watched for a few hours, last Thursday, while I was finishing the video review of the Swarovski NL
Ciao!
Pier

Attachments

• swaro_Pier.jpg
    swaro_Pier.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 168
  • swaro_Pier2.jpg
    swaro_Pier2.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 164
  • swaro_Pier3.jpg
    swaro_Pier3.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 255
Hi Guys, I wanted to inform you that the specimen on NL 8x42 I had in loan, was sent by Swarovski Optik Italia to Austria for a thorough check. It will let you know what will happen. Thanks everyone for your attention.
Pier
Hi Pier,
What were the main complaints, I'd guess the glare issue was one of them, anything else?
Peter

Hi Pier,
What were the main complaints, I'd guess the glare issue was one of them, anything else?
Peter

Hi Peter! no other complaints. I also said this, in the video review that i will publish in the next days.. The problem about "glares" it could depend on the fact, that for years, I have also used the Victory SF42 which I find better for the containment of the glare .. maybe, other people consider it as "normal". Swarovski Optik Italia, however, since knows that I'm not a "visionary" :) was kind enough to send my specimen in Austria for a check-up. Apart from this problem, the binoculars are very performing,I like it, any other preferences of mine towards other binoculars are purely subjective..

Last edited:
A In a brief direct comparison in dull light with the Swarovski 10x42 ELs the newer binoculars appeared to have a ‘crisper’ image but so marginally so that it wouldn’t be apparent in anything other than a direct comparison.

Certainly, if you don't mind a narrower FoV then the Swarovski 10x42 ELs will give you much the same view for much less (as will various other Alpha glasses).

Now Sunday in a third day of in some ways limited but direct EL / NL comparison, I would suggest, variances in samples not withstanding, the 10X42 EL does not give you much the same view as the NL. The EL’s were not with me my first trip outdoors with the NL, and the difference was immediately apparent. With the EL’s in direct comparison, the amount of difference can be more obvious especially the FOV, but the NL stands on its own. If you are going to purchase the NL’s and keep them for a few years, even an additional $850 would seem to me to be well worth it. As the Binomania video review prognosticates, the performance of these binoculars should be at the front of the pack for a decade.

On July 26th I posted on the Leica board that I went to purchase a pair of 8.5X42 EL’s on sale for $2,149. I did not do it. The Noctivid 8X42 to me had the better overall image with their own compromises. I can’t begin to make that assertion about the NVD’s with respect to the NL’s.

The improvement in the NL over the EL’s seems to be a bit more than incremental especially when you draw up a list of gains. Beginning that list with clarity, contrast, and FOV.

Last edited:
The new system is growing on me too. It's neat and tidy, and it just works. Not sure if it's built to a different standard on the CL's or EL's?

+1. The NL strap-attachment-pins take quite a bit of effort to 'snap' in place. It would take a serious drop for them to break, or pop out - and I suspect such a drop would also damage conventional strap lugs.

But horses for courses. Some people like to keep things as simple as possible, and the old system cannot be beat for that.
I discovered another reason Swarovski made the FP attachments tighter besides them possibly coming off. The strap doesn't spin around and get twisted on the binocular because it doesn't turn as easily now. On the EL the strap would always get twisted on its own and you had to untwist it by spinning the strap around on the FP attachment. Now I noticed on the NL it hasn't been getting twisted. Actually the FP attachments work good on the NL now since they tightened it up.

I discovered another reason Swarovski made the FP attachments tighter besides them possibly coming off. The strap doesn't spin around and get twisted on the binocular because it doesn't turn as easily now. On the EL the strap would always get twisted on its own and you had to untwist it by spinning the strap around on the FP attachment. Now I noticed on the NL it hasn't been getting twisted. Actually the FP attachments work good on the NL now since they tightened it up.
Sorry but I claim priority for that "discovery", see post #739....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back